Adventists for Tomorrow

Our mission is to provide a free and open medium that will assist individuals in forming accurate, balanced, and thoughtful opinions regarding issues within and without the church.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Due to a large increase in spam, I have frozen forum registration. If you are new to the site and want to register, e-mail me personally at vandolson@gmail.com. Thank you.

#26 07-21-09 10:03 pm

elaine

Re: Fighting Alzheimer's with Coffee

Don, you represent the &#34;true believer&#34; in traditional Adventism.   <BR> <BR>That the new converts and younger generation know little about EGW is to be applauded.  In a generation or more, few will know or care about who she was, other than one of the founders &#40;like Joseph Smith or Brigham Young.   <BR> <BR>Keep on believin&#39; <BR> <BR>Releasing a letter with &#34;certain restrictions&#34; speaks millions of volumes.

#27 07-22-09 12:19 am

don

Re: Fighting Alzheimer&#39;s with Coffee

<b><font color="0000ff">In a generation or more, few will know or care about who she was,</font></b> <BR> <BR>I wonder. Revivals and renewed interests are quite unpredictable. Who knows whither goes Christianity or Adventism. Our institutions of higher learning provide opportunity for our youth to get somewhat acquainted with their heritage.  <BR> <BR>This summer, my son is taking a philosophy of Adventist Education class. A major assignment is to read and respond to the book Education. This is probably his first and only read of the book. We have had a few discussions about such phrases as the &#34;love of pleasure&#34;, etc.  <BR> <BR>There is a strong movement within the church to understand the Adventist heritage. George Knight has been quite prominent in the move. Adventism, as <a href="http://www.atomorrow.net/cgi-bin/discus/show.cgi?tpc=11&post=6061#POST6061" target="_blank">my list earlier</a> portrays, offers a system of thought and lifestyle which for many is a positive, happy experience. <BR> <BR>Much of the mix of feature can be traced back to the counsels of James and Ellen White. <BR> <BR>From a secular viewpoint, Adventism has become a social force of considerable influence especially in the area of health care, in third world development, and third world educational support. Again, trace it back. The little old lady, again from a secular vantage point, helped build an ecclesiastical empire. <BR> <BR>Spiritually, a core group of young people are finding renewed faith experiences from the reading of EGW&#39;s devotional material. <BR> <BR><font color="ffffff"><font size="-2">.</font></font>

Board footer