Adventists for Tomorrow

Our mission is to provide a free and open medium that will assist individuals in forming accurate, balanced, and thoughtful opinions regarding issues within and without the church.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Due to a large increase in spam, I have frozen forum registration. If you are new to the site and want to register, e-mail me personally at vandolson@gmail.com. Thank you.

#26 01-01-12 2:13 pm

bob

Re: Covenants: Understanding of Covenants why SDAs not progressing!

I certainly agree Bob_2 that we have law given by Christ.  To say that Christians are lawless would be a lie.  I keep posting 1Jn 3 which tell us that the law we are to abide by is the law of love as Jesus loved so shall we love our fellow man.  That is truth of keeping His commands.  I don't see 10 in front of commands.  Paul didn't either.  Only the ignorant and those urging Sabbath see the invisible 10.

#27 01-01-12 5:19 pm

bob_2

Hubb, we've been through this before. Was the "forever" covenant to Noah with the rainbow, or circumcision when given to Abraham. There are pieces to how the salvation promise is finally given to the proper people. Circumcision is no long a sign, nor is Noah's covenant the New Covenant. Your website name suggesting one Everlasting Covenant suggest an easy study and those studiers to be fooled by every Everlasting Covenant they come across, that is my point. The name of your website would suggest falsely that certain things are still in force when they are fulfilled and no longer in force and may be restated for New Covenant Believers.

Last edited by bob_2 (01-01-12 5:21 pm)

#28 01-01-12 10:58 pm

hfsturges
Website

bob-2
I have two websites: www.everlastingcovenant.com which is active, and being updated on a daily basis.  It is NOT a forum.
The other website is: www.144000.cc where I have not posted for awhile, but attracts a number of visitors.  It is NOT a forum.
The old forum: www.covenantforum.com I have turned over to Don Sands as a way for him to organize different aspects of denominational history. It is also a forum, but I have not posted to this forum for several years.
A newer forum: www.gospelandcovenant.com I do post to once in a while. I hope to do more when the "covenant project" is finished.

So the question remains, when you mention my "forum" which are you talking about?
As to the term "Everlasting Covenant."  I have several times attempted to present my view on this. On each time your responses show that you do not believe or understand what I said. I have addressed this question in detail in my website www.everlastingcovenant.com. You are welcome to peruse this website at leisure. If there is something that you do not understand, or a specific issue you think is wrong, please respond to that. A general comment that "I believe in one everlasting covenant" is not something I can respond to. It is too general.

#29 01-02-12 1:11 am

bob_2

Hubb, also read this passage again:

Romans 9
1 I speak the truth in Christ—I am not lying, my conscience confirms it through the Holy Spirit— 2 I have great sorrow and unceasing anguish in my heart. 3 For I could wish that I myself were cursed and cut off from Christ for the sake of my people, those of my own race, 4 the people of Israel. Theirs is the adoption to sonship; theirs the divine glory, the covenants, the receiving of the law, the temple worship and the promises. 5 Theirs are the patriarchs, and from them is traced the human ancestry of the Messiah, who is God over all, forever praised![a] Amen.
God’s Sovereign Choice
6 It is not as though God’s word had failed. For not all who are descended from Israel are Israel. 7 Nor because they are his descendants are they all Abraham’s children. On the contrary, “It is through Isaac that your offspring will be reckoned.”   8 In other words, it is not the children by physical descent who are God’s children, but it is the children of the promise who are regarded as Abraham’s offspring. 9 For this was how the promise was stated: “At the appointed time I will return, and Sarah will have a son.”

Individual Jews if they accept the Messiah as Savior can be part of His saving grace. We need to emphasize this and the behavioral Standards presented in the NT/NC. Just remember until Christ death on the cross He was keeping the OC law, after He died He was under the NC. The Sabbath at that point isn't the center of the Promise and the NT but Jesus did, by giving us soul rest, not just physical rest.

#30 01-02-12 1:49 am

hfsturges
Website

I see no problem in Romans 9. I agree with what it says.

The covenant given to Abraham was to him and to his seed.  His seed included all his descendants, particularly the believing remnant (Romans 11:5) and specifically Jesus Christ (Galatians 3:16).  Also all those who are in Christ are Abraham's seed (Galatians 3:29). So the Abrahamic covenant includes the church too.

The Old Covenant was made up of sinful unbelief, legalistic keeping of the law as a means of salvation, and a corrupted view of the sacrifices and sanctuary services (see Hebrews 8-10). Jesus Christ was never under the old covenant.

The new covenant was to put (initiative by God) the law into the hearts of the people. What law?  The Ten commandment law. There is extensive discussion of the beauty and holiness of the ten commandment law in the Psalms. God gave the new covenant to Adam and Eve when He took the initiative to "put" enmity between "thee and the woman."  He "put" the law into their hearts again.(Genesis 3:15). This was an early presentation of the covenant that was to carry through to the end of history.  Cain was the first instance of the old covenant when he offered fruit, which lacked the blood required for a sacrifice.

Last edited by hfsturges (01-02-12 1:50 am)

#31 01-02-12 6:32 am

bob_2

Hubb, Abraham was given a Promise, specifically designated as such in the NT as having survived the cross and the center of the New Covenant:

Galatians 4:4 But when the set time had fully come, God sent his Son, born of a woman, born under the law,

Hubb, why this distinction, born under the law, if it was not important for Him to be able to keep the Old Law, but then had all of the ordinance and laws fulfilled as was promised would happen from the OT.

Romans 4:13 It was not through the law that Abraham and his offspring received the promise that he would be heir of the world, but through the righteousness that comes by faith.

Why is Paul inspired by God to say, "The Law"  which no question was the OT Law. He, Jesus, the Messiah ushered in the New Covenant and Christ's Law at his death and with the pouring out of the Holy Spirit at Pentecost. In fact in Luke 24:44 asks them to wait in Jerusalem until the Spirit being poured out happens.

Notice:

John 19:28 Later, knowing that everything had now been finished, and so that Scripture would be fulfilled, Jesus said, “I am thirsty.”

Galatians 5:14 For the entire law is fulfilled in keeping this one command: “Love your neighbor as yourself.”[a]

#32 01-02-12 2:42 pm

hfsturges
Website

Hi Bob,
We've been over this before. "Christ's law" is to love God and your neighbor as yourself." This is the "great commandment" mentioned in the discussion between Christ and the lawyer. So far, so good.

Now, I believe that this law is the Ten Commandment law. It is the eternal law of God. It is a reflection of His character. It is how love is shown to others and to God. It is the law of liberty.

So long as you protect your Sunday keeping, you will never agree to this.

#33 01-02-12 5:01 pm

bob_2

Hubb, I don't protect any day, I have told you before that I don't believe when you study the Gospel, that you will obsess over anyday, but the obsession will be about the Savior. It is the stumbling block that Jesus talks of that the Jews can not see or fit into the building they believed to be the temple, the Sabbath was never the obsession of the Gospel but that Jesus is God, the Messiah they were looking for but would not accept, even to today. I had a boss that took most of October off because the Jewish holidays don't want them to work most of October. They obsess over days, just as you, as long as you do so in the New Covenant, you will never see it as long as you feel the day will save you. Google Jewish holy days some time.

Last edited by bob_2 (01-02-12 5:07 pm)

Board footer