Adventists for Tomorrow

Our mission is to provide a free and open medium that will assist individuals in forming accurate, balanced, and thoughtful opinions regarding issues within and without the church.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Due to a large increase in spam, I have frozen forum registration. If you are new to the site and want to register, e-mail me personally at vandolson@gmail.com. Thank you.

#1 02-19-09 1:46 pm

heipauli

Blame geography? Or religion??

Quote: <BR> <BR>&#34;Psychoses appear in Finland along strong regional boundaries, according to a new Finnish study. People in northern Finland are much more prone to psychoses than elsewhere in the country.  <BR>In northern Finland, 4.6 percent of the population has experienced psychotic episodes at some point in their lives. The lowest rate was found in south-western areas, where psychoses affected only 2.2 percent  <BR>Researchers believe that the regional differences can, in part, be explained by conditions in early childhood. Northern Finland has a higher instance of infections during pregnancy, birthing complications, and other early development risk factors - all of which are also factors in developing schizophrenia.  <BR>The study was co-ordinated by the National Institute of Health and Welfare and published in Schizophrenia Research magazine.  <BR>In contrast to the data on schizophrenia, affective disorders &#40;like bi-polar disorders&#41; and depression-related psychosis did not appear to have any regional correlation. &#34; <BR> <BR>Source: <BR><a href="http://yle.fi/uutiset/news/2009/02/northern_finns_more_prone_to_psychosis_558147.html" target=_top>http://yle.fi/uutiset/news/2009/02/northern_finns_ more_prone_to_psychosis_558147.html</a> <BR> <BR> <BR>As I have not read the original article in Schizophrenia Research magazine, <BR>I do not know, whether  correlations with one&#39;s religion were studied. <BR>As some of you remember, the Northern Finland is the stronghold of Laestadianism. <BR> <BR><a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laestadianism" target=_top>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laestadianism</a>

#2 02-19-09 6:32 pm

george

Re: Blame geography? Or religion??

Pauli, <BR>Have there been any studies done relating depression with the amount of sunlight available?

#3 02-19-09 9:26 pm

elaine

Sirje, that sounds worth investigating.  It is quite well known that people who live in far northern countries with little sunlight, are far more prone to alcoholism and cabin fever and SAD &#40;seasonally affective disorder&#41;which leads to depression.  <BR> <BR>Lack of Vitamin D, naturally supplied by sunlight, is required for good health and along with diet, can certainly effect fetal growth and possibly contribute to anomalies.

#4 02-19-09 10:41 pm

george

Canada is having a difficult time dealing with mass teen suicides in Inuit communities. Granted, there are other factors at play, such as lack of jobs and a cultural predilection for alcoholism, but I believe the lack of sunlight has a lot to do with too.  I have lived in northern climates all my life and have run into people who suffer terribly from depression during winter months.  I&#39;m sure there is, already, natural tendencies for that present, but nevertheless .... <BR> <BR>Different cultures have characteristics that define them.  The Swedes &#40;demonstrated by there even their films&#41; and, probably the Finns are a melancholy people.  The isolation that winter brings to these climates makes for insular individuals.  Whether or not that can be genetic, I don&#39;t know. <BR> <BR>&#40;Message edited by sirje on February 19, 2009&#41;

#5 02-20-09 3:09 am

heipauli

Sirje and Elaine, <BR> <BR>in Fimnet &#40;a forum for members of FMA&#41; there is a ongoing discussion on the role of vitamin D in different diseases and how much of D one actually should get. <BR> <BR>I&#39;ve got an impression that some of my collegians routinely check the blood level of vitamin D, especially of their elderly patients, and especially of those leading a sedentary life. <BR> <BR>Seems to me that the dietary recommendations re: vitamin D are too cautious, at least in these latitudes.

#6 07-22-09 11:44 am

neal

Abstinence education does not work.  In countries where the penalty is death teens still have sex so telling them they will catch cooties sure as blazes won&#39;t do it.  The wingnuts need to shut up.  Tell their own kids whatever they want and be prepared to have them catch the clap or HIV and have illegitimate granchildren or abortions.<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1><b>quote:</b></font><p><b><font size="+1">Teen pregnancy and disease rates rose sharply during Bush years, agency finds</font></b> <BR> <BR>...  The CDC says that southern states, where there is often the greatest emphasis on abstinence and religion, tend to have the highest rates of teenage pregnancy and STDs. <BR> <BR>....<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote><a href="http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/jul/20/bush-teen-pregnancy-cdc-report" target=_top>http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/jul/20/bush-t een-pregnancy-cdc-report</a> <BR> <BR>.

#7 07-22-09 4:57 pm

elaine

States ranked by rates of live births among women age 15-19 &#40;births per thousand&#41;: <BR> <BR>1.Mississippi &#40;71&#41;  <BR>2.Texas &#40;69&#41; <BR>3.Arizona &#40;67&#41; <BR>4.Arkansas &#40;66&#41; <BR>5.New Mexico &#40;66&#41; <BR>6.Georgia &#40;63&#41; <BR>7.Louisiana &#40;62&#41; <BR>8.Nevada &#40;61&#41; <BR>9.Alabama &#40;61&#41; <BR>10.Oklahoma &#40;60 <BR> <BR>Nevada had the highest teen PREGNANCY rate.  Does that mean that more pregnancies were aborted than Mississippi?

Board footer