Adventists for Tomorrow

Our mission is to provide a free and open medium that will assist individuals in forming accurate, balanced, and thoughtful opinions regarding issues within and without the church.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Due to a large increase in spam, I have frozen forum registration. If you are new to the site and want to register, e-mail me personally at vandolson@gmail.com. Thank you.

#1 06-22-10 2:01 pm

bob_2

What would a new SDA Church looklike, an what would be our draw?

Thought that I would start this thread for all those out their that, it has been said, are tired of the same old SDA talk. If so, come back and state what differences are needed to keep your interest.

#2 12-09-10 5:53 pm

bob_2

Re: What would a new SDA Church looklike, an what would be our draw?

What if the big market churches like Loma Linda and Sligo, among others had two worship services, one on Saturday and one on Sunday? What an opportunity to discuss the True Rest in Jesus. The church is ramping up for a Sunday Law and I wonder if there is a final test if it might be something else, creating another Great Disappintment for the SDA church.

#3 12-09-10 6:36 pm

Old Abe

Why would one want another SDA church.The world does not need another denomination or structure.

What it desparately needs is more of us walking as Christ walked not arguing  about times or seasons but being there for the ones in need.

I have never believed that Christ's robe of  was pure white. It was soiled with blood and sweat and tears  both Jesus's own and those He comforted.

We do not need anymore priests or shamans or snake oil salesmen being paid to pray. We can now come boldly to the throne of grace directly so why another church.

#4 12-09-10 10:45 pm

elaine

There is no need nor demand for another denomination.  But in places where there are very large churches, or where there are several, when they only have a service (even two) on Saturday, the rest of the week they are closed, a very inefficient use of such an expensive building.

Why not have services, at other times, and particularly on Sundays as a recognition that in the U.S. and most first world countries, Sunday is the traditional day for "church."  There is absolutely nothing in the Bible that services worshiping God are only acceptable on any specific day of the week.  The church must learn to meet people where they are, not expecting the people to come to them only at specified times. 

Adventists have deified the 7th day of the week to where it is heretical to even suggest any other day for services should be held.  The Catholics have their churches open for mass nearly every day of the week, and Saturday is one of the busiest days.  But Catholics do not limit God's presence to any day of the week.

#5 12-10-10 12:54 am

bob_2

Elaine, I would appreciate your critique if you have time:

http://www.clubadventist.com/forum/ubbt … 617/1.html

#6 12-10-10 12:59 am

bob_2

Elaine, here is one of my posts on the over 470 pages of dialogue:

Bob-2 wrote:

"I would say, most of your emphasis and SDA emphasis in not the awe inspiring fact that Jesus Christ became one of us to save us. and when God inspired a writer to say the Sabbath was a shadow of the Reality in Jesus His son, I think your thinking is too casual about that big theme. Especially if you read about the rules of the first Sabbaths in the desert for the Jews, it was a day of inactivity by command. No hiking up a hillside, but total inactivity in their tent.

God ceased his creation, the rest does have that as a definition. Then you have to assume a lot about between Adam and Moses that is an assumption not actual words. I'm not prepared to do that.

The only difference between your position and mine is, I could never tell a postman that has Saturday duty to give it up 2 years away from his pension. If you are wrong you will have a day of reckoning that you added something to the Gospel that is not stated but assumed.

I live in St Louis, Mo and have had bad experiences with the local SDA churchs, where one church refuses to follow the Church Handbook on managerial matters and is run by a family with no concern for nepotism, and others have the dottering old gents that don't mind taking up the Sermon time with such things as Investment Projects. I don't care to do the hand to hand combat that would be involved to make a change. I sort of consider St. Louis a "dark county" . A bigger church like Loma Linda and Sligo we have attended with a better result. My view of the SDA church and its success do not match, and I feel that their view of eschtology will be another Great Disappointment when you have the USA arming Israel to the teeth, that if they put a Sunday law out, it would be a thumb in the eye of the best Sabbathkeeper in the world. I don't see the Sabbath as the final test given how we fared in World War II with standing up to Hitler. That's another story but it was not handled well in my opinion. "

#7 12-10-10 1:04 am

bob_2

Reminds me of the good ole days at Atomorrow.com:

http://www.atomorrow.com/discus/message … 1105168209

#8 12-10-10 2:23 pm

elaine

It's almost impossible to convince die-hard Adventists that they have assumed much that is not in Scripture, despite claims that all their doctrines are derived from the Bible.

It's preaching to the choir for some of us who can find not one single text in the OT that anyone should observe a Sabbath until Sinai; and not a single text in the NT giving a sabbath for the new Gentile Christians.

They are Seventh-day Assumptionists.

Board footer