Adventists for Tomorrow

Our mission is to provide a free and open medium that will assist individuals in forming accurate, balanced, and thoughtful opinions regarding issues within and without the church.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Due to a large increase in spam, I have frozen forum registration. If you are new to the site and want to register, e-mail me personally at vandolson@gmail.com. Thank you.

#1 09-10-10 2:17 am

Mevyn

The “Gospel unravels the Sanctuary debate”

The “Gospel unravels the Sanctuary debate” deals with the following topics.
1.     NT sees the anti-gospel and immorality as the only grounds to defrock or disfellowship a scholar, pastor or member.
2.    NT priesthood of believers should not be governed by a hierarchal church order.
3.    Discerning the little horn of Daniel 8.
4.    The little horn of Daniel 7 is unlike the little horn of Daniel 8.
5.    An ongoing judgement is always connected in the preaching of the everlasting gospel.
6.    The importance of upholding a clear distinction between justification and sanctification by a leading Adventist scholar.
7.    Jewish history of bigotry repeated in the 20th century Christian church.
8.    Every rule of proper biblical exegesis broken to uphold an unfounded church belief.
9.    The gospel is the only rule to properly distinguish between biblical writers and outside Christian writers on Biblical teachings.
10.    For further studies see http:www.oldtestamentchronology.com

B Dobra

#2 09-10-10 2:49 am

Mevyn

Re: The “Gospel unravels the Sanctuary debate”

The Purpose of writing was to inspire all Adventists to reflect upon the last 12 years in the crisis our church went through and to see if the church officials could have taken another path to solve the problems that confrontede us in that period. this article also raises the question, has the church officials allowed its members, the priesthood of believers the freedom of concience to reach their own conclusion on highly symbolic books of Daniel and Revelation so that individual illumination given by the Holy Spirit can be collectively assessed and channelled for the benefit and growth of the whole church. do our hierarchal leaders still hold to an unchangeable position that only pioneers and theologians have been given the special privilege of interpreting these books. The sincere question that each member and leader of our church must ask has the truth of the sanctuary presented to us in the last 12 years been ignored and set aside and if we continue in this frame of mind does this make error truth and can we expect the full blessing from
God whom we believe is a god who looks at truth head on without fear or favour.

#3 09-10-10 11:29 am

hfsturges
Website

Re: The “Gospel unravels the Sanctuary debate”

Mevyn,

You have raised interesting points.  I would hope that you do so with an open mind.  I will comment on just one point here today:

2.    NT priesthood of believers should not be governed by a hierarchal church order.

You will bring to life a whole gaggle of people who will say, "Bravo! Preach it brother!  Say it again!"  The historical reason for the "hierarchy" was to support world wide mission work.  And it has been a success.  Another purpose of the hierarchy is to maintain stability of the church economically, institutionally, and doctrinally.

Does the hierarchy restrict the priesthood of all believers?  Impossible!  The priesthood of all believers is to be active in working for Christ, to spread the gospel.  The church hierarchy actively applauds all such efforts, encourages them.  In no way does the hierarchy limit what a person can do in this area.

The issue usually raised in such a discussion is usually in doctrinal belief.  There is an assumption here that doctrines are central to our religion.  Jesus never said that.  Doctrines are important, of course.  But Jesus said that our doctrines tend to follow the work we do for Him.  "If any man will do his will, he shall know of the doctrine, whether it be of God, or whether I speak of myself." (John 7:17).

What if we had no hierarchy?  We would still have an "-archy" but it would be "anarchy!"  I know from personal experience that there are always in the church those who throw their weight around, exercise political and social pressures to get what they want -- including doctrines.

There are problems in the hierarchy, even bad apples, even incompetent individuals.  But for the most part the hierarchy has been a blessing and a huge stabilizing factor.  Every time I think about "congregationalism" I think of the wide open opportunities for factions to develop and for disorder.  So, no thanks!  Thank God we have a good and effective organization.

Board footer