Adventists for Tomorrow

Our mission is to provide a free and open medium that will assist individuals in forming accurate, balanced, and thoughtful opinions regarding issues within and without the church.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Due to a large increase in spam, I have frozen forum registration. If you are new to the site and want to register, e-mail me personally at vandolson@gmail.com. Thank you.

#1 04-23-10 12:12 am

bob_2

Paul Was Given the Gospel Directly From Jesus Christ, Not Taught It

This is interesting to read the end of Galatians 1, how Paul was given the Gospel to preach, not from any man or taught it, but:

Galatians 1

Paul Called by God

11I want you to know, brothers, that the gospel I preached is not something that man made up. 12I did not receive it from any man, nor was I taught it; rather, I received it by revelation from Jesus Christ.
13For you have heard of my previous way of life in Judaism, how intensely I persecuted the church of God and tried to destroy it. 14I was advancing in Judaism beyond many Jews of my own age and was extremely zealous for the traditions of my fathers. 15But when God, who set me apart from birth[a] and called me by his grace, was pleased 16to reveal his Son in me so that I might preach him among the Gentiles, I did not consult any man, 17nor did I go up to Jerusalem to see those who were apostles before I was, but I went immediately into Arabia and later returned to Damascus.

18Then after three years, I went up to Jerusalem to get acquainted with Peter and stayed with him fifteen days. 19I saw none of the other apostles—only James, the Lord's brother. 20I assure you before God that what I am writing you is no lie. 21Later I went to Syria and Cilicia. 22I was personally unknown to the churches of Judea that are in Christ. 23They only heard the report: "The man who formerly persecuted us is now preaching the faith he once tried to destroy." 24And they praised God because of me.

He seems to go out of his way to declare this is not a continuation, but discontinuity from what the Apostles were associated with.

Last edited by bob_2 (04-23-10 12:12 am)

#2 04-28-10 5:56 pm

bob_2

Re: Paul Was Given the Gospel Directly From Jesus Christ, Not Taught It

Tom and Dexter, (Des if you're lurking), the above post is why what Jesus did under the OC Law in His life is not the full Gospel, and certainly not a Reformed Sabbath. Paul was given the Gospel directly from Jesus Christ, not from Peter, or other men, but began preaching before consulting with Peter or others with links to Judaism.

Therefore, we have to get past the Gospel Books of Matthew, Mark, Luke and John, to the territory in the Bible that Elaine and I have pointed out has been sorely ignored by the SDA Church, and the teaching in Bible class K thru 12 at least and maybe higher. Acts to Jude. Neglected by Tom, Dexter and I believe Des, if you are the only three that believe in a Reformed Sabbath as part of the Gospel, because Paul does not preach it as given to him from Jesus.

Heb 8: 13 stands staring the SDA Church and Tom, Dexter and Des in the face, with Paul being given the Gospel directly from Jesus Christ. Paul's words are that important. Do we read them that way??

Last edited by bob_2 (04-28-10 5:59 pm)

#3 04-29-10 4:03 am

bob_2

Note Peter's statement about Paul being given the Gospel by God:

2 Peter 3:15Bear in mind that our Lord's patience means salvation, just as our dear brother Paul also wrote you with the wisdom that God gave him. 16He writes the same way in all his letters, speaking in them of these matters. His letters contain some things that are hard to understand, which ignorant and unstable people distort, as they do the other Scriptures, to their own destruction.

Even Peter learned the Gospel from Paul who was appointed by God/Jesus to preach the Gospel truth.

#4 04-30-10 1:20 pm

bob_2

Was the full Gospel present during Christ's life? Tom, Dexter, or Des:

John 16:12"I have much more to say to you, more than you can now bear. 13But when he, the Spirit of truth, comes, he will guide you into all truth. He will not speak on his own; he will speak only what he hears, and he will tell you what is yet to come. 14He will bring glory to me by taking from what is mine and making it known to you. 15All that belongs to the Father is mine. That is why I said the Spirit will take from what is mine and make it known to you.

Why has the SDA church schools avoided Acts to Jude? That is where what Jesus did not finish saying to us is found.

#5 05-01-10 8:49 pm

elaine

It is always amazing that few SDA doctrines (any?) were formed by Acts-Jude.  All the explanation of the Good News was done by Paul.  It was not until after the Resurrection that Jesus' followers began to question "who was Jesus, and what was his life all about?"  Paul, as the first evangelist to the Gentiles, did NOT continue all of Jesus' teachings as they each had a different mission:  Jesus was NOT sent to the Gentiles, which he said, so his audience was exclusively with Jews:  He never began a church, nor did He advocate leaving Judaism.

Paul realized that he must not take Judaism to the Gentiles if he was to effectively promote the Gospel, which is why they were not to obey the Jewish laws, particularly circumcision which was mandatory for Jews (see the Jerusalem controversy).  Had that been the first step toward accepting Jesus as the Messiah, it would have only been one of the many Jewish sects.  Only by a belief in Jesus as the Messiah did the Gentiles become Christians. 

This is something that Adventists almost never discuss.  If they did so, they would have to answer to Paul's message in his letters that clearly removed the Law which was replaced by Christ.

Board footer