Adventists for Tomorrow

Our mission is to provide a free and open medium that will assist individuals in forming accurate, balanced, and thoughtful opinions regarding issues within and without the church.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Due to a large increase in spam, I have frozen forum registration. If you are new to the site and want to register, e-mail me personally at vandolson@gmail.com. Thank you.

#1 01-28-10 3:11 am

bob_2

Are we a land of laws or just when we agree with them??

I listened to Obama's State of the Union address tonight. And something struck me, among many. When he "dressed down" the Supreme Court for deciding that corporations could donate as much money to a campaign as they wanted, it being a free speech issue. I was embarassed for Obama and the Justices. They are a separate branch of government, and we are a land of laws. We should accept them when they are made. We certainly can disagree as many do on abortion, but not to their faces. There is some dignity one should offer to the Supreme Justices.

When people stated that George Bush wasn't their President because the Supremes decided he was the President by the Electoral College count, I felt that was an insult to the Justices. If the Electoral College is something we as Americans want to change then we should change it, but not insult the Justices that are interpreting the laws as they see them.

I was embarassed for the President tonight. Hopefully he will get over his wishfull thinking about his ability to attract money in his next election. Maybe he needs to adjust some of his positions to attract that funding, and realize that the American people are also these corporations and our future prosperity.

Last edited by bob_2 (01-28-10 3:36 am)

#2 01-30-10 6:21 am

jag

Re: Are we a land of laws or just when we agree with them??

bob-2 - I am not American, but I would suspect that the Justices are nominated by whoever is in power - right? Obama was certainly right to say that there should be limits to corporate funding of politicians. The question to ask is: is it realy what he thinks, or is he being opportunistic? You are right that there seems to be something wrong with the way US presidents are elected. There is probably something wrong with the way the justices are elected too.

#3 01-30-10 12:57 pm

bob_2

JAG, the only problem, as a constitutional lawyer, Obama WAS wrong as Alito mouthed. Foreign Corporations can not contribute to an individual candidate or campaign. Further, like Abortion, it would be impolite or less that proper ettiquette to chastise them right in front of him. Obama likes certain laws, like Roe vs Wade, but not the decision to uphold the Electoral College that put George Bush in, and not the law allowing corporations that are taxed by him and the Democratic Congress to be able to contribute as much as they want, because by the time Obama is done with our economy, any opponent, Republican or Democrat, could persuade Corporation to give donations to put him out of power, sort of self serving, and against free speech. In America there are separation of powers for a purpose, Judicial, Legislative and Executive. He ought to honor the way our Founding Fathers put our system together.

Last edited by bob_2 (01-30-10 1:01 pm)

#4 01-31-10 9:54 pm

jag

Sorry, but I only know the issue second hand (from you). So did Obama criticise the separation of powers, or did he simply disagree with an individual decision of one of the other powers? In either case, I think he should have the right to hold an opinion and to voice it. Are you saying no previous president has done anything like it?

Board footer