Adventists for Tomorrow

Our mission is to provide a free and open medium that will assist individuals in forming accurate, balanced, and thoughtful opinions regarding issues within and without the church.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Due to a large increase in spam, I have frozen forum registration. If you are new to the site and want to register, e-mail me personally at vandolson@gmail.com. Thank you.

#1 01-09-09 1:43 am

bob_2

“Media Malpractice… How Obama Got Elected and Palin Was Smea

“Media Malpractice… How Obama Got Elected and Palin Was Smeared.” <BR> <BR>Did Obama win &#34;fair and square&#34; or was there a media bias, a &#34;media malpractice&#34; if you will.  <BR> <BR><a href="http://bighollywood.breitbart.com/jziegler/2009/01/07/my-interview-with-sarah-palin/#more-10885" target=_top>http://bighollywood.breitbart.com/jziegler/2009/01 /07/my-interview-with-sarah-palin/#more-10885</a> <BR> <BR>Make sure to play the video, also.

#2 01-09-09 7:30 pm

don

Re: “Media Malpractice… How Obama Got Elected and Palin Was Smea

<b><font color="0000ff">Did Obama win &#34;fair and square&#34;?</font></b> <BR> <BR>People sink, or sail, their own ships. Here in Canada, we had a novice Prime Minister quite a few years ago. It seemed that every day of her administration was frought with bad press and issues. The next Prime Minister was a seasoned veteran of the rough and tumble politics of the Canadian parliament. When he took office and in the weeks that followed, everything went quiet; no bad press, no big issues. I figured the stark difference between the two administrations could be explained by political experience and savvy. <BR> <BR><font color="ffffff"><font size="-2">.</font></font>

#3 01-09-09 10:49 pm

elaine

Truman&#39;s saying is apt:  &#34;If  you can&#39;t stand the heat, get out of the kitchen.&#34;

#4 01-10-09 12:29 am

bob_2

Elaine, I agree, no need for the Fairness Doctrine imposed, right? Speak your piece, let the chips fall where they may. Even on guys like David Schuster and Keith Oberman.

#5 01-10-09 1:45 am

don

<b><font color="0000ff">no need for the Fairness Doctrine imposed, right?</font></b> <BR> <BR>On the contrary, fairness is very important. It is just that politicians should not expect it. We should expect love and kindly interactions in the church and it would be wonderful if the public sphere worked that way, too, but it doesn&#39;t.  <BR> <BR>How much of the &#34;Fairness Doctrine&#34; can, or should, be imposed on a free press? Should we tell Tina Fey not to make fun of Sarah Palin? We all should be shocked at the way the media drags a politician&#39;s family into the political arena. It is going to happen. I suspect a good politician consults with family before getting deeper into politics. <BR><b><font color="ffffff">.</font></b>

#6 01-10-09 12:24 pm

bob_2

The whole issue is, can the programs get the advertising. Guys like Al Franken couldn&#39;t attract the advertisers to Air America, yet we are to be believed the vote count for him to be a Senator from Minnesota is correct.  <BR> <BR>To the Fairness Doctrine, should Al Franken&#39;s show be proped up while Rush Limbaugh, who has plenty of advertisers, go it alone??? Aren&#39;t the people showing what they want to listen to?? Who determines what the opposing view should be? What of a program &#34;Trannies Are Us&#34; with only Elaine and parts of San Francisco listening. Who subsidizes it, our tax dollars???

#7 01-10-09 12:26 pm

bob_2

BTW Don, it is my understanding the Fairness Doctrine would not discontinue satirical comments about Sarah Palin, only it has to be balance by satirical comments about Al Franken or Joe Biden, right??

#8 01-10-09 5:10 pm

don

<b><font color="0000ff">only it has to be balance by satirical comments about Al Franken or Joe Biden, right??</font></b> <BR> <BR>Fairness is in the eye of the beholder. In these things you cannot legislate fairness or balance. The freedom of the press can be protected but the balance of the content cannot be legislated and the press remain free. <BR> <BR>Here in Canada, if the Prime Minister gives a major speech, the networks are obligated to provide response time to the opposition. I suppose such provisions help the media provide more balance. <BR> <BR>We have three or four major newspapers in the Toronto area. One is known to be conservative; and one liberal; the others? You can kind of predict who will say what on any particular political issue. <BR><font color="ffffff"><font size="-2">.</font></font>

Board footer