Adventists for Tomorrow

Our mission is to provide a free and open medium that will assist individuals in forming accurate, balanced, and thoughtful opinions regarding issues within and without the church.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Due to a large increase in spam, I have frozen forum registration. If you are new to the site and want to register, e-mail me personally at vandolson@gmail.com. Thank you.

#1 01-08-09 11:31 am

admin
Administrator

New section

I&#39;ve been thinking of how to organize the &#34;Non-SDA Denominations&#34; category and decided to just go with what Pauli suggested: &#34;Different Denominations, Different Problems.&#34;  This will work for now, and and if this category becomes very busy I&#39;ll probably end up organizing it by denominations.   <BR> <BR>Ryan

#2 01-09-09 9:15 pm

renie

Re: New section

When it comes right down to it, most churches &#40;not all&#41; have the same problem the SDA church has.  They all think their&#39;s is the truth and the way to eternal life.  <BR> <BR>I didn&#39;t become an Adventist till I was eighteen. Was baptized with my mother.  Before that we attended the Methodist church.  My memories of that church were that they were pretty inclusive.  Pretty laid-back.Not a lot of rules, mostly family oriented.  Very community outreach oriented. <BR> <BR>My ideal church would go something like this. Group in-depth bible study before church, with lots of discussion and amicable disagreement. <BR> <BR>.  Church would be: a TEN minute talk by the pastor. Music consisting of a combination of Christian Rock with guitars and drums and classical music and a children&#39;s choir.  Like the Trans-Siberian Orchestra. Very limited use of the old hymnal songs.  And lots of community volunteer work.Do any of you go to a church like that? <BR> <BR>renie

#3 01-09-09 9:17 pm

renie

P.S.  It&#39;s NOT Saturday the 10th yet. As my post indicates.  It&#39;s Friday evening at 6:30pm <BR> <BR> <BR>renie

#4 01-09-09 9:56 pm

lijhakim

Just a thought from a bystander: <BR> <BR>What makes a successful discussion? Somehow you need to get &#34;meat&#34; into the discussion. This requires that at least one person become knowledgeable in a topic and begin the thread. Others will then point out defects in his presentation. He will then have a chance to explain himself more adequately. <BR> <BR>Even better is if there are several who are knowledgeable on the topic. <BR> <BR>There are lots of worthwhile topics to discuss, but many of them we don&#39;t know that much about. About different denomination: I would like to know more about how the doctrines of the various denominations have &#34;morphed&#34; over the last 200 years. <BR> <BR>For instance, what really took place when the Lutherans and the Catholics discussed at some length.  How about Vatican II, and is that being repealed now? Some of the things Evangelicals are teaching now are relatively new. Where did they come from?  What is the place and the prophetic future of Israel? <BR> <BR>Please pardon the questions. These are things I would like to know about. <BR>------------------------- <BR>Hubert F. Sturges <BR><font color="ffffff">.</font>

#5 01-09-09 10:47 pm

elaine

Tonight&#39;s &#34;Nightline&#34; is supposed to tackle the Mormon church.  The church is feeling the heat because of their support for Prop. 8 and want to inform the public of what they believe. <BR> <BR>When a new temple opened recently in my town, visitors were allowed to go through it before it was dedicated &#40;and then closed to all but good members&#41;.  Like a palace!

#6 01-10-09 12:09 am

pilgrim99

Hi Renie, <BR> <BR>When you say<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1><b>quote:</b></font><p>My ideal church would go something like this. Group in-depth bible study before church, with lots of discussion and amicable disagreement.<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote> I ask, if the purpose of the church is for equipping the saints for ministry, then, shouldn&#39;t the main service for believers consist of an in-depth study of the Bible? Preferably an expositional study of a passage, or entire book and chapter in context.  <BR> <BR>My personal belief is that any congregation remains relevant and vibrant if it follows this advice:<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1><b>quote:</b></font><p>It was he who gave some as apostles, some as prophets, some as evangelists, and some as pastors and teachers, to equip the saints for the work of ministry, that is, to build up the body of Christ, until we all attain to the unity of the faith and of the knowledge of the Son of God – a mature person, attaining to the measure of Christ’s full stature. So we are no longer to be children, tossed back and forth by waves and carried about by every wind of teaching by the trickery of people who craftily carry out their deceitful schemes. But practicing the truth in love, we will in all things grow up into Christ, who is the head. From him the whole body grows, fitted and held together through every supporting ligament. As each one does its part, the body grows in love. Ephesians 4:11-16 NET<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote> We have such a rich body of teaching within the words of the Bible, that it seems strange for some to want their ears tickled by the teachings of ANY latter day &#39;prophets,&#39; &#40;as in foretelling the future&#41;. There is so much to discover each day within the 66 books of the closed Canon. Re-visiting seemingly familiar Bible passages usually yields a new and richer understanding, at least in my experience.

#7 01-12-09 2:41 pm

john8verse32

Moslems have their own set of major problems, not the least of which is the increasing value of virginity may make it difficult to honor all those suicide-killer-martyrs with their alloed 70 virgins in the afterlife if this story is true: <BR> <BR><a href="http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/4222155/Student-auctions-off-virginity-for-offers-of-more-than-2.5-million.html" target=_top>http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northame rica/usa/4222155/Student-auctions-off-virginity-fo r-offers-of-more-than-2.5-million.html</a>

If electricity comes from electrons, does morality come from morons?

Board footer