Adventists for Tomorrow

Our mission is to provide a free and open medium that will assist individuals in forming accurate, balanced, and thoughtful opinions regarding issues within and without the church.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Due to a large increase in spam, I have frozen forum registration. If you are new to the site and want to register, e-mail me personally at vandolson@gmail.com. Thank you.

#1 12-29-08 6:05 pm

bob_2

PK's Speak Out About the Experience

Other PKs speak out <BR> <BR><a href="http://www.chronicleonline.com/cgi-bin/c2.cgi?071+article+Religion+20081212161947071071011" target=_top>http://www.chronicleonline.com/cgi-bin/c2.cgi?071&#43; article&#43;Religion&#43;20081212161947071071011</a> <BR> <BR> <BR><blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1><b>quote:</b></font><p>Barry Millet, 61, from Floral City, himself an ordained Seventh-day Adventist minister, grew up the son of an evangelist. He said the most difficult challenges included: moving all the time and having to make new friends and leaving old ones, being held to a higher standard than other kids, not having dad home on a daily basis &#40;and when he did come home, the accumulated need for discipline had to be administered&#41; and being shipped off to boarding school. <BR> <BR>“When I was about 5 or 6 we had to recite a memory verse in front of the whole church,” Millet said. “I was the last one on the program and when it came my turn, I went as blank as a white sheet of paper. No matter how hard I tried, that memory verse would not come to mind. Ashamed and horrified, I bolted from the platform as fast as my little feet would carry me. When I reached the entrance doors of the church building, I never even broke stride, nearly taking the doors off of their hinges.” <BR> <BR><!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote> <BR> <BR>Thought the story was a real hoot. Any P.K. in our midst???

#2 01-01-09 10:22 pm

elaine

Re: PK&#39;s Speak Out About the Experience

We all know that JR was a PK.  I am also a PK with both good and bad memories.  I have decided to focus on the good things: <BR> <BR>Moving a lot with many different schools and the need to learn to make new friends has been a learned skill which, perhaps suited my extroverted personality.  I learned to properly greet new people and develop new friends, not a bad skill to have. <BR> <BR>Living in quite a few different states and cities, there was an advantage of always have a ready-made family of a welcoming church--but also made the PKs watched more closely for questionable behavior, and more was expected of us. <BR> <BR>I admired my Dad so much that early on I told my parents I wanted to be a preacher.  Because there was no such possibility as a female, that was discouraged with an alternate of &#34;Bible Instructor&#34; was proposed, something that had no appeal at all. <BR> <BR>A younger sister &#40;there were no brothers&#41; married a preacher, which suited her admirably; another married a would-be preacher that didn&#39;t quite make it, and the youngest married a college teacher who served over 30 years in SDA university.  I married a physician-to-be, and I never, ever, wanted to marry a preacher!

#3 01-01-09 11:35 pm

bob_2

What do they say, you can marry as easily for money as for love? I&#39;m sure you loved your hubby, but sometimes kids forget what Pastoring involves, lifestyle wise.

#4 01-04-09 2:09 pm

renie

The only thing worse than being a PK would be being a preacher&#39;s wife.  <BR> <BR>renie

#5 01-04-09 3:22 pm

george

My daughter is married to a pastor and she doesn&#39;t even play the piano, nor does she sing.  <BR> <BR>The first time she attended their new church she wore a pant suit which she finds more comfortable having to chase a couple of toddlers.  After church they were invited to dinner and woman approached her saying, &#34;I was so glad to see you wear a pant suit.  I wore one once and was scolded for it so I never wore it again.&#34;  <BR> <BR>Another interesting incidence had to do with communion.  Attending her husband&#39;s second church for the first time, she entered the room where foot washing was to take place.  Everyone had partners and she stood around for quite a few minutes and no one approached her. She finally went upstairs.  Later, as she was  greeted at the door, someone apologized saying,  &#34;If she had only known who she was ....&#34;  I guess it doesn&#39;t pay to have communion in a church &#34;where they don&#39;t know your name.&#34; <BR> <BR>She&#39;s quite stubborn so I have no worries.  She was brought up a SDA but didn&#39;t get baptized until college.  We didn&#39;t encourage anything, leaving it up to our kids.  <BR> <BR>Her two daughters are going to be a challenge as PK&#39;s.

#6 01-04-09 4:06 pm

bob_2

Sirje, besides, where is it written you footwash only your partner, never another one. Christ did 12, 24 feet. However the pastor&#39;s wife is a leader of sorts to show how it should be done.

#7 01-04-09 10:13 pm

elaine

The whole idea of foot washing is an out-moded ritual that has no meaning of &#34;humility&#34; in today&#39;s world.  In fact, it was tied to the Passover as the church has planned it.  One can always tell when that announced service is to be, as the attendance is greatly lessened. <BR> <BR>It&#39;s as outmoded as the &#34;cleanliness&#34; laws in Leviticus.  Plus, the idea of serving &#34;grape juice&#34; is not true to Judean custom &#40;that&#39;s why Manischevitz wine is made&#41;.  The idea that someone can become &#34;inebriated&#34; by a 1 oz. drink of wine is absurd!

#8 01-05-09 12:26 am

george

Elaine, <BR>I&#39;m afraid the church is missing the point when it comes to foot washing.  It is all about humility and service but it has become another thing to do in order to belong.  As you say, foot washing has no meaning today in our culture at least.

#9 01-05-09 9:36 pm

renie

Elaine and Sirje...I couldn&#39;t agree with you more. You guys are right-on. <BR> <BR>Serving and humility means baby sitting someone&#39;s kids so they can get a little relief, taking someone to the doctor when they can&#39;t go themselves, being a big sister or volunteer grandmother to a lonely child, painting someone&#39;s house.   <BR> <BR>Foot washing is only ceremony. <BR> <BR>renie

Board footer