Adventists for Tomorrow

Our mission is to provide a free and open medium that will assist individuals in forming accurate, balanced, and thoughtful opinions regarding issues within and without the church.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Due to a large increase in spam, I have frozen forum registration. If you are new to the site and want to register, e-mail me personally at vandolson@gmail.com. Thank you.

#1 12-29-08 7:13 pm

bob_2

Heaven's Means of Communication

The notes section from the Thursday&#39;s quarterly this week asks this question, with my slight modification at the end:  <BR> <BR><a href="http://www.ssnet.org/qrtrly/eng/09a/less01.html" target=_top>http://www.ssnet.org/qrtrly/eng/09a/less01.html</a> <BR> <BR><blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1><b>quote:</b></font><p>How well do you know Jesus yourself? If someone were to say to you, “Tell me about Jesus, what He is like and what He can do for me,” what would you say, and why? Be prepared to share your answer in class on Sabbath [or anytime the opportunity arises].<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>

#2 01-02-09 8:55 pm

renie

Re: Heaven&#39;s Means of Communication

I think, Bob, I would have to answer, &#34;not very well.&#34; <BR> <BR>If I could take His life as written in the Bible alone, I would find Him to be wonderful, but once the theologians and bible students get through with Him and His words, it really becomes confusing.  Then I have to ask, &#34;who is he?&#34; and why do His words come out different when commented on by Bible experts? <BR> <BR>I begin to doubt what I am reading next to  what these seasoned, scholarly men,who often disagree with each other, say.. <BR> <BR>renie

#3 01-02-09 10:45 pm

bob_2

Irene, Paul wished this for all of us: <BR> <BR><blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1><b>quote:</b></font><p>Eph 4:14That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive;  <BR><!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote> <BR> <BR>As we study with the Spirit growing inside of us, it will all come together as further in this chapter it says:  <BR> <BR><blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1><b>quote:</b></font><p>Eph 4:15But speaking the truth in love, may grow up into him in all things, which is the head, even Christ:  <BR> <BR> 16From whom the whole body fitly joined together and compacted by that which every joint supplieth, according to the effectual working in the measure of every part, maketh increase of the body unto the edifying of itself in love.  <BR> <BR> 17This I say therefore, and testify in the Lord, that ye henceforth walk not as other Gentiles walk, in the vanity of their mind,  <BR> <BR> 18Having the understanding darkened, being alienated from the life of God through the ignorance that is in them, because of the blindness of their heart:  <BR> <BR> 19Who being past feeling have given themselves over unto lasciviousness, to work all uncleanness with greediness.  <BR> <BR> 20But ye have not so learned Christ;  <BR> <BR> 21If so be that ye have heard him, and have been taught by him, as the truth is in Jesus:  <BR> <BR> 22That ye put off concerning the former conversation the old man, which is corrupt according to the deceitful lusts;  <BR> <BR> 23And be renewed in the spirit of your mind;  <BR> <BR> 24And that ye put on the new man, which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness.  <BR> <BR> 25Wherefore putting away lying, speak every man truth with his neighbour: for we are members one of another.  <BR> <BR> 26Be ye angry, and sin not: let not the sun go down upon your wrath:  <BR> <BR> 27Neither give place to the devil.  <BR> <BR> 28Let him that stole steal no more: but rather let him labour, working with his hands the thing which is good, that he may have to give to him that needeth.  <BR> <BR> 29Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers.  <BR> <BR> 30And grieve not the holy Spirit of God, whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption.  <BR> <BR> 31Let all bitterness, and wrath, and anger, and clamour, and evil speaking, be put away from you, with all malice:  <BR> <BR> 32And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ&#39;s sake hath forgiven you. <BR> <BR><!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote> <BR> <BR>The Holy Spirit empowers and the study of Jesus give a Moral Influence, we are to grow into Him.

#4 01-05-09 11:49 am

lijhakim

Let me offer a suggestion in answer to these questions: <BR>&#34;How well do you know Jesus?&#34; <BR>&#34;Not very well.&#34; <BR>&#34;Why do His words come out different when commented on by Bible experts?&#34; <BR> <BR>No one knows Jesus as well as He wants to be known. For most of us He is still &#34;standing at the door and knocking&#34; Rev 3:20. It IS important that our imperfect picture of Him is accurate. <BR> <BR>To achieve that, a person must spend quality time with Him. That means to have a regular time set aside for Bible study and prayer. Let His message sink in deep. Pray that the Holy Spirit guide your thinking. Be humble and be willing to be teachable. Believe what you read do what He says. <BR> <BR>Especially spend time reading and contemplating the story of Gethsemane, His trial and Crucifixion, and of the Resurrection. <BR> <BR>If you do this, you will actually feel His presence near. At times you will be moved to tears. But don&#39;t depend on feelings -- believe His word first of all. <BR> <BR>When the &#34;Bible experts&#34; speak, listen to them. After all they are giving their witness. Look for the spirit of Christ in what they say. Yet at the same time, compare what they say with what the Bible says to you. <BR> <BR>It is critical that you have a &#34;primary experience&#34; with Christ. You can never ride on the coattails of the &#34;experts.&#34; If all you know about Christ is what others tell you, then &#34;God help you!&#34; What you hear from the experts may be helpful, but your experience must come directly from the Word. <BR>--------------------------------- <BR>Hubert F. Sturges <BR><font color="ffffff">.</font>

#5 01-05-09 11:59 am

lijhakim

The first two lessons on &#34;the Gift of Prophecy&#34; are difficult in that the writer of the quarterly had thrown a massive amount of &#34;raw data&#34; in our path and left us to sort it out for ourselves. <BR> <BR>Every week, I use my computer and look up all the texts and print them out. Then I can study them without spending a lof of time paging back and forth in the Bible. <BR> <BR>Last quarter I could usually get all the texts on two pages. Last week it took four pages, and this week it has taken five and a half pages. That is just too much. <BR> <BR>It is a good topic, though and worth studying. <BR> <BR>I asked the teacher last week if the Holy Spirit had helped him prepare for the lesson. He didn&#39;t know what to say at first. However, I believe that the Holy Spirit ALWAYS helps a person when he studies the Bible. A teacher will sometimes find himself saying something that he never had thought of before! <BR> <BR>The question is:  The teacher is inspired. When a pastor preaches, he is inspired. What is the difference between the inspiration given a teacher or a pastor from the inspiration given to a prophet? <BR> <BR>My answer would be that a prophet is chosen because he is accurate in his relaying the message, and will not insert his own words and feelings.  Another answer in the class is that the prophet has authority, whereas the teacher or the pastor does not. <BR> <BR>Just some ideas. <BR>-------------------------------- <BR>Hubert F.Sturges <BR><font color="ffffff">.</font>

#6 01-05-09 9:54 pm

bob

Hubert and all, there is a very good critique of the Sabbath School lessons at: BibleStudiesForAdventists.com <BR> <BR>I would like to discuss how the opinions of others differ from the quarterly writers. Last week there was quite a few differences. I hope you all are willing to review their efforts.  Bob

#7 01-06-09 1:38 am

elaine

Spectrum Blog also has many comments following an essay on it.

#8 01-06-09 2:24 am

bob_2

Robert and Elaine, the spirit of Prophecy, is the Gospel, not a special gift held by EGW. That is not what these verses are speaking of: Rev. 12:17; 19:10; 22:8, 9..  <BR> <BR>Notice John Gill&#39;s Exposition on Revelation 12:17; <BR> <BR><a href="http://www.ewordtoday.com/comments/revelation/gill/revelation12.htm" target=_top>http://www.ewordtoday.com/comments/revelation/gill /revelation12.htm</a> <BR> <BR>The emphasis is on the saving knowledge of Jesus, the Gospel, that which all the Prophets pointed to, Jesus Christ. The commandments of Jesus were pointing to the Christian ordinances such as Baptism and the Lord&#39;s supper, commanded by Jesus.

#9 01-07-09 12:37 am

lijhakim

Bob, <BR>I looked at Dale Ratzlaff&#39;s website and read part of this weeks comments on the lesson. As you might expect, Dale Ratzlaff is well known to many Adventists. He was an SDA pastor in Watsonville, CA just before he left the church. <BR> <BR>About his comments: Naturally he is biased against the SDA church. One does not have to read far in his comments before that bias comes through. <BR> <BR>It is difficult to discuss a website. Better if you tell me what you think is important in his website and how it fits in your view of things. <BR>---------------------------- <BR>Hubert F. Sturges <BR><font color="ffffff">.</font>

#10 01-07-09 12:59 am

bob_2

Dale Ratzlaff, IMO, is irrelevant because he will not rein in Colleen Tinker, his second cousin&#39;s wife, appointed as editor of Proclamation. Tinker is the one that has declared SDAism as Satan originated in the study found here:  <BR> <BR><a href="http://www.formeradventist.com/studies/topical/thumbnailsketch.html" target=_top>http://www.formeradventist.com/studies/topical/thu mbnailsketch.html</a> <BR> <BR>Scroll down to the last paragraph. This is disgusting and makes Tinker and Ratzlaff irrelevant, period. I told Dale to quit sending his paper to my mail box long ago. Does that answer your question???

#11 01-07-09 9:31 am

george

Bob, <BR>Actually this is one of my pet peeves about this whole subject.  The term &#34;Spirit of Prophesy&#34; has been twisted to mean a designated name for a group of writings - Ellen White&#39;s, of course.  When read carefully and logically, the statements that the church puts together to come up with this &#34;Spirit of Prophesy&#34; designation has a totally different meaning. <BR> <BR><b>Rev. 12:17</b> <font color="0000ff">So the dragon was enraged with the woman, and went off to make war with the rest of her children, who keep the commandments of God and hold to the testimony of Jesus.</font>  &#34;The testimony of Jesus&#34; can be one of two things - the testimony ABOUT Jesus; or the testimony Jesus gave about God with His life, death, and resurrection. <BR> <BR>The SDA church then turns to Rev. 19:10:  <font color="0000ff">Then I fell at his feet to worship him.  But he said to me, &#34;Do not do that. I am a fellow servant of yours and your brethren who hold the testimony of Jesus; worship God.  For the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy.&#34;</font>.  This, they say, proves that the TESTIMONY of Jesus in 12:17 means SPIRIT OF PROPHESY - used as a title of EGW message because she, after all, is a prophet.  <BR> <BR>These verses say nothing of the sort.  What they do say, is that when John bowed down to the angel to worship him/her/whatever, the angel said not to worship him because he is just a servant like John; but worship God since the essence &#40;spirit&#41; of prophesy is the testimony of &#40;about&#41; Jesus who should be worshipped instead. <BR> <BR>If you really want to know what the &#34;testimony of Jesus&#34; is turn to I John5:10-11 - <font color="0000ff">The one who believes in the Son of God has the testimony in himself; the one who does not believe God has made Him a liar, because he has not believed in the testimony that God has given concerning His Son.  And the testimony is this, that God has given us eternal life, and this life is in His Son.</font> <BR> <BR>The TESTIMONY OF JESUS is about Jesus not a bunch of books about Jesus that someone has decided to call THE SPIRIT OF PROPHESY, a term that has been hijacked and turned into an object of worship itself. <BR> <BR>&#40;Message edited by sirje on January 07, 2009&#41;

#12 01-07-09 2:26 pm

lijhakim

Sirje, <BR>I believe that both you and probably many SDAs have a far too narrow view of the &#34;Spirit of Prophecy.&#34; The verse itself says that it is the &#34;testimony of Jesus&#34; that is the Spirit of Prophecy. A common understanding of the word &#34;prophecy&#34; is to predict the future. This is only a very small part of a prophet&#39;s work. <BR> <BR>The main purpose of a prophet is to convey the message of Jesus. When Jesus Himself was on earth, His main purpose was to accurately portray the character of the Father. This function of the prophet is found in every one of the prophets of the Old Testament -- though in many cases it may be obscured by a sensational warning or message. <BR> <BR>The context of Revelation 19:10 is just that -- the writings of the Book of Revelation are the &#34;Spirit of Prophecy.&#34; See Rev. 1:2. <BR> <BR>Does the work of Ellen White show this emphasis?  Yes! It does. The great mass of what she has written is gospel oriented, and points up the blessings of the Plan of Salvation.  Of course, there are predictions, sensational warnings, and rebukes of individuals and of the church. This is all the work of the prophet. <BR> <BR>1 Corinthinians 12 and Ephesians 4 both list prophets among the gifts of the church. Are designated prophets the only ones who are inspired? Does God ever speak through the pastor, the SS teacher, or even your neighbor? Is this &#34;low level of inspiration&#34; a function of &#34;prophecy&#34;? <BR> <BR>In my opinion, YES! To prophesy is to teach the Word of God. We take an all too narrow view of the Spirit of Prophecy. <i>&#40;I will get shot down for this!&#41;</i> Any one who truly teaches the Word of God, with the help of the Holy Spirit is ... prophesying. <BR> <BR>I believe that the SDA church has the greatest understanding of Bible Prophecy, and the most accurate interpretations of Prophecy of any of the churches. It is not necessarily unique. God would love to see all the churches come to the same understanding. I believe that it is this correct understanding that is &#34;the Spirit of Prophecy.&#34; And this includes especially a correct understanding of the Gospel. <BR> <BR>Is Ellen White a &#34;designated prophet?&#34; Yes, I believe she is. <BR>------------------------ <BR>Hubert F. Sturges <BR><font color="ffffff">.</font>

#13 01-07-09 10:48 pm

elaine

<b><font color="0000ff">Is Ellen White a &#34;designated prophet?&#34; Yes, I believe she is. </font></b> <BR> <BR>Only because the SDA church has so &#34;designated&#34; her.  No one can be recognized as a prophet until a sufficient number of people acclaim it AND also believe it. <BR> <BR>There have been many, many &#34;prophets&#34; in the world&#39;s history.  It all is dependent on a sufficient number of people calling someone a prophet.  Look at the Mormon church, the &#34;Moonies&#34; and David Koresh, or Jim Jones.  These groups all acclaimed them as &#34;prophets&#34; or even MORE than a prophet.}

#14 01-08-09 1:37 am

lijhakim

A  prophet, a true prophet of God is a prophet ONLY because he is called to be a prophet by God. He has nothing to say unless God gives him a message.

#15 01-08-09 5:45 am

george

Hubb, <BR>Please tell me, what is it about Ellen White that would convince an &#34;outsider&#34; to come to believe that she was a true prophet among many who claim the title?  This may be impossible for you to answer since you&#39;ve never been on the &#34;outside&#34;, but I would like to know what you think the deciding factor would be.  This question is in all sincerity

#16 01-08-09 7:50 am

george

Hubb, <BR>The statement, &#34;the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophesy&#34; comes as a result of something that happens when an angel talks to John.  John is compelled to bow before the angel.  The angel, in essence, says to John, &#34;don&#39;t bow down before me; I&#39;m only the messenger.  Honor God because the message is a witness about Jesus, which is the essence of &#40;all&#41; prophesy.&#34; <BR> <BR>This follows the same pattern found elsewhere - Acts 10:26 <i>When Peter entered, Cornelius met him and fell at his feet and worshiped him.  But Peter raised him up, saying &#34;Stand up; I too am just a man.&#34;</i>   <BR> <BR>It&#39;s also very clear in Rev.22:9 where John again wants to worship the angel with the message and the angel tells John: <i>Do not do that.  I am a fellow servant of yours and of your brethren the prophets and of those who heed the words of this book.  Worship God.</i> <BR> <BR>The intent is clear.  The angel tells John not to worship him because the message he bears is about Jesus; and that message is the essence of this prophesy &#40;what he is telling John&#41;; and does not make the angel worthy of worship.  It does NOT say the spirit of prophesy is the message of whoever appropriates the title, &#34;Spirit of Prophecy&#34; &#40;with capital letters&#41;. <BR> <BR>&#40;Message edited by sirje on January 08, 2009&#41;

#17 01-08-09 1:07 pm

lijhakim

Sirje, <BR> <BR>Ellen White shows the signs of the prophet in her ministry. These are well known, and I suspect you have heard them many times. Ellen White is the messenger of God to the SDA church. To people outside the SDA church she is a Christian writer and a founder of the church. I would not attempt to present EGW to a non-adventist as a prophet. The Great Controversy is probably the principle book circulated to non-SDAs that contains predictions. At the present time most of those predictions have come true, so they are no longer predictions -- except when you tell people when the book was written. <BR>------------------------ <BR>Hubert F. Sturges <BR><font color="ffffff">.</font>

#18 01-08-09 5:24 pm

george

Hubb, <BR>You&#39;re avoiding the question.  I really want to know why Ellen White &#34;shows the signs of the prophet in her ministry&#34;.  And &#34;no&#34; I haven&#39;t heard them many times.  What I have heard is what you just stated,  &#34;she is the messenger of God to the SDA church&#34;.  It&#39;s one of those things where everybody assumes everybody else knows what they&#39;re talking about but when it comes down to specifics there&#39;s a lot of shuffling of feet.  Exactly what predictions have come true?  And, if there are some, is that the proof she&#39;s a prophet of God?  Outside the diet thing I personally don&#39;t know of any such predictions.  I&#39;m not kidding - the San Fransisco earthquake perhaps?  the Chicago fire?  I may have heard something about those or one of them.  That doesn&#39;t do it for me.  Is there anything else?

#19 01-08-09 11:05 pm

elaine

<font color="0000ff">A prophet, a true prophet of God is a prophet ONLY because he is called to be a prophet by God. </font> <BR> <BR>That is a very subjective assessment.  No one, not you nor me can declare that God has spoken to us and suddenly be called a prophet unless others also decide that we are prophets.  Is a prophet all alone with no one listening, still a prophet? <BR>IOW, I can call myself a physician, or an attorney, or a priest but that means nothing without acceptance by others.

#20 01-09-09 6:01 am

george

Elaine, <BR>Precisely.  It&#39;s about credentials.  What are the credentials of a prophet?  What I have understood is that a test for a prophet is that he/she agree with the Scriptures.  In this case, it&#39;s EW that interprets the Bible and so, of course, her writings agree with the Scriptures that she interprets.  If ever there was circular reasoning ... .  The upshot is that anyone who doesn&#39;t agree with all this, obviously can&#39;t &#34;discern spiritual things&#34; because they don&#39;t have the right spirit.   <BR> <BR>When I joined the church at 16 I accepted everything that was presented to me, but even then, EW remained and enigma and I approached her with caution.  It used to bother me that my relationship with God be guided by another human being, regardless what she was titled.  Frankly, she used to confuse me - I could never get a handle on what she wanted from me; more precisely, what she said, God wanted from me.  Holding up that heavy Bible thing was a definite negative - seemed like a side show at a circus, and I couldn&#39;t understand what it was supposed to prove. <BR> <BR>The NT seems to be differentiating between being a &#34;prophet&#34; and the &#34;gift of prophesy&#34;.  Heb.1:1,2 seems to suggest that Jesus was the last and final prophet.  The gift of prophesy was given to the church, but it sound like it&#39;s to be given to various people, like the gift of teaching etc.  According to Strong the term prophesy simply means &#34;to take off the cover&#34; in which case it refers to Bible interpretation rather than simply predictions.

#21 01-09-09 12:42 pm

cadge

It seems also that the Apostles were prophets as they told of future events and also exhibited special powers too, as a confirmation of their appointments and authority. <BR> <BR> <BR>SIGNS OF AN APOSTOLIC Authority <BR> <BR>There are in existence today several groups who are boldly proclaiming that they are the true people of God. They assert that God has resurrected His true church, and that their leader is God’s modern day apostle. Many of them say that salvation flows exclusively through their hands. No other group, they say, has the authority to immerse a person into the true body of Messiah but them. Let’s see if this is true from the above verses of Scripture. <BR>If God so chooses, in these last days, to reinstate apostolic authority on the earth &#40;the kind that gives a group the right to make such horrendous claims&#41; it seems clear and reasonable that He will also reinstate the same apostolic power which accompanied His first apostles. Why will He do this? For the same reason He did it the first time—confirmation, &#34;And they went forth, and preached every where, the Lord working with them, and confirming the word with signs following.&#34; –Mark 16:20. <BR>The first apostles had authority when they preached. The people didn’t have to just take their word for it, so to speak. But their authority was backed up by power. The signs and wonders, miracles and healings were God’s stamp of approval that said, &#34;These are my true apostles, I am starting a new thing, listen to them!&#34; And I believe it will be the same if God chooses to reinstate this special kind of apostolic authority in our days.  <BR>Many a naïve would-be convert today may be wondering, &#34;Where are God’s Apostles &#40;&#42;&#41;. Who are they.&#34; The Moonies say it is their leader, Sun Myung Moon. The Mormons and Jehovah’s Witnesses say it was theirs--Joseph Smith and Charles Taz Russell. The Twelve Tribes say it is Elbert Eugene Spriggs, who they call Yoneq. Some Pentecostals and Southern Baptists may even say it is within their leadership. So, who are they, and where are they? The world wants to know. The world wants real signs of true God-ordained apostolic authority on the earth. At the present time it doesn’t appear that this special kind exists. But if it re-appears, I believe that God will again give the world the apostolic signs of authority the way He did with His first Apostles. If this kind of apostolic authority appears on the scene again it will be accompanied by more than mere words. God will show His true authority by way of demonstrations of power. Paul said, &#34;For our gospel came not unto you in word only, but also in power, and in the Holy Ghost, and in much assurance…&#34; &#40;1st Thess. 1:5&#41;. <BR>At this point some of these exclusive groups may argue, &#34;Isn’t the proof of God’s authority among our group the love we have for one another? For Jesus said, ‘by this shall all men know that you are my disciples, if you have love one for another.’&#34; Yes that is true. But God implemented, in His first church, more than merely the fruit of love for proof of this claim of exclusiveness you are making. If you want to say that you are the only ones, and that your group is the resurrected true church and body of Messiah, then you need more than love. Love can be fabricated. Just ask the relatives of the dead members of the Jonestown people and the Branch Davidians how much &#34;love&#34; they had flowing in their midst. God’s sign of authority among His first Apostles and their followers was backed and confirmed by both love and a divine power &#34;…the Lord working with them and confirming the word with signs following&#34; &#40;Mark 16:20&#41;. And so it will be in the last days if God sends a special apostolic apostle; not merely by smiles, sweet words, or even a unified people full of loving relationships, albeit good; but rather, with the gifting of &#34;miracles, healings, signs, and wonders&#34; &#40;1st Cor. 12: 9, 10&#41;. It was a power that was undeniable to the rest of the world &#40;not to mention the false apostles Paul dealt with&#41; which showed to them that God, of a truth, was in their midst. <BR>Self-made or self-proclaimed apostolic authority will be like fools-gold—it will look good until examined closer. Anyone can make himself out to be an apostle and gather a following of people for a time. But it will surely be devoid of this kind of power we are talking about, and evident to all unless God has called him. We need God ordained apostolic power. <BR>So we see that apostolic authority had apostolic power to back it up. For Paul said, &#34;The things that mark an apostle--signs, wonders, and miracles--were done among you with great perseverance&#34; &#40;2nd Cor. 12:12&#41;. See also Romans 15:18,19 and 1st Thessalonians 1:5. We need, therefore, to beware of men and groups who proclaim that God has reinstated apostolic authority on earth &#40;usually with them alone&#41; if they have not this power to back it up—they are false apostles! When God so chooses again, in His sovereignty, to reinstate apostolic authority on the earth, He will also reinstate apostolic power as a stamp of approval and confirmation. And there will be no question as to who His true Apostles are. <BR>------------ <BR>I copied this a while ago from a FACTNET site a while ago from someone seeking to discredit those that, in the past and today, claim to be God&#39;s final day spokespersons for the church. I added EGW however, as it seemed so fitting to do so.  <BR> <BR><a href="http://www.factnet.org/" target=_top>http://www.factnet.org/</a> <BR> <BR>&#42; The Seventh Day Adventists say it&#39;s with them through Ellen G White.

#22 01-09-09 12:51 pm

lijhakim

<font size="+1"> <b> Tests of the Prophet</b></font> <BR>    <a href="http://www.whiteestate.org/books/pay/PAYc06.html#sth0" target=_top>http://www.whiteestate.org/books/pay/PAYc06.html#s th0</a>  <BR> <BR>I have gathered these tests from the White Estate web site. See above. Some of the tests are self-evident. Some I have added comments. <BR> <BR><b>Test 1.</b> “To the law and to the testimony: if they speak not according to this word, it is because there is no light in them.” Isaiah 8:20. <BR> <BR><b>Test 2.</b> “Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them.” Matthew 7:20. <BR> <BR><b>Test 3.</b> “When the word of the prophet shall come to pass, then shall the prophet be known, that the Lord hath truly sent him.” Jeremiah 28:9. <BR> <BR> <b> Comment:</b> This has been questioned regarding Ellen White. Anyone who has read her writings will see that she was given supernatural knowledge of events, people, and places in a number of instances. She was given a vision regarding a committee meeting in Battle Creek months before it happened, yet was prevented by the Spirit to relate the vision until she was in a general meeting just the morning after it happened. <BR> <BR>On many occasions she was given specific information regarding individuals. Information that she could not have gotten herself, and that was true in every detail. She was given visions of places where God wanted an institution, that she could not recognize at first.  When later she was taken to the place, she recognized it immediately. &#40;See history of Loma Linda.&#41; <BR> <BR>In Great Controversy, a book written in 1884&#40;?&#41;  she predicted that the Catholic church would again grow in power. At the time the Catholic Church was weak and in disarray. The Concordat with Mussolini in 1929 restored the Vatican as a separate state. However, in my memory, even in the 1930&#39;s the Catholic Church was small and weak. Since then the Catholic Church has greatly grown in power, to the point of being instrumental in bringing down the Communist empire of Soviet Russia. <BR> <BR><b>Test 4.</b> “Every spirit that confesseth that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is of God.” 1 John 4:2. <BR> <BR><font size="+1"> <b> Additional Evidences:</b></font> <BR> <BR><b> Physical manifestations.</b> In chapter 4 mention was made of certain physical manifestations which at times accompanied the revelations of a true prophet. Taken with the other evidences, these manifestations form convincing added testimony. <BR> <BR><b> Timeliness</b> is another striking feature of these revelations. Ordinarily we think of messages being given years, or even centuries before their full significance is realized; but many have been given at exactly the time they were needed. <BR> <BR><b> The certainty and the fearlessness</b> with which the prophets gave their testimonies add weight to their claims to have God&#39;s messages. There was no hesitation, no hedging, no note of apology when Nathan stood before David and declared, “Thou art the man.” 2 Samuel 12:7. <BR> <BR><b> High spiritual plane.</b> In the messages of true prophets there is nothing cheap or common or childish. While their writings deal with ordinary, everyday affairs of life, they do so in a dignified and fitting manner. Though great truths are expressed simply enough for children to understand, they are not childish, but profound enough to engage the keenest scholars in ever-expanding research. The spiritual principles laid down are the most lofty known to the human mind. Both the theme of the Bible and its mode of expression are worthy of, and command the respect of, the most learned as well as the most humble. <BR> <BR><b> Practical nature.</b> Messages brought by the prophets are of a practical and useful nature. There are no weird fantasies or pointless ramblings in their communications. Though some messages are given in symbolic language, their intent may be discovered by following clearly discernible rules of interpretation.  <BR> <BR><font size="+1"> <b> Summary:</b></font> <BR> <BR>There is no reason to be deceived, for the Bible presents clear tests to be applied to the professed prophet. <BR> <BR>   1. “To the law and to the testimony.” Isaiah 8:20. <BR>   2. “By their fruits.” Matthew 7:20. <BR>   3. “When the word … shall come to pass.” Jeremiah 28:9. <BR>   4. “Jesus Christ is come in the flesh.” 1 John 4:2. <BR> <BR>Added evidences that help to confirm confidence in true prophets are: &#40;1&#41; physical manifestations, &#40;2&#41; timeliness, &#40;3&#41; certainty, &#40;4&#41; high spiritual plane, &#40;5&#41; practical nature. <BR> <BR>All the tests must be applied to the prophet, over a long period of time if necessary. The evidence is cumulative and must be carefully noted before a final decision is made. <BR>-------------------------- <BR>Hubert F. Sturges <BR><font color="ffffff">.</font>

#23 01-09-09 12:55 pm

lijhakim

Let me just add, that these tests are convincing to me. I can predict the response <i>&#40;am I a prophet?&#41;</i> but I would like to see further responses moved to another thread, rather than to take over this topic of &#34;Heaven&#39;s Means of Communication&#34; as presented in the SS Quarterly.

#24 01-09-09 10:40 pm

elaine

To a true believer, no contradictory evidence is convincing. <BR> <BR>To a skeptic, no subjective evidence is convincing. <BR> <BR>It&#39;s all in the mind:  a choice to believe which seeks affirmation. <BR> <BR>The questioner will not be easily convinced with often flimsy evidence, as it cannot be objective.

#25 01-12-09 4:49 pm

roca

You should check out my blog <a href="http://cafesda.blogspot.com/" target=_top>http://cafesda.blogspot.com/</a> <BR>My last article was on EGW and Dr. Stowe&#39;s who is the source for EGW&#39;s most famous line about thought inspiration.  <BR> <BR>I would be interested in knowing as I do my next blog what you think about inspiration or what you think EGW thought about inspiration. Is that famous quote what she really thought but did not think enough of to ever publish her thought, is it ok to take material from her diary and hold it out as inspired? Or to take material from personal letters and string it together as a compilation is that what is appropriate to do with thought inspiration?

Board footer