Adventists for Tomorrow

Our mission is to provide a free and open medium that will assist individuals in forming accurate, balanced, and thoughtful opinions regarding issues within and without the church.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Due to a large increase in spam, I have frozen forum registration. If you are new to the site and want to register, e-mail me personally at vandolson@gmail.com. Thank you.

#1 08-14-09 11:38 am

don

War Rations and Honesty

<b><font color="ff0000">The Price of a Soul</font></b> <BR> <BR><i><font size="-1">&#40;This article provides an interesting window into the war years and the lives of families, ethics, etc.&#41;</font></i>  <BR> <BR>Review and Herald, June 25, 1942 &#40;From the Christian Advocate&#41;<blockquote>A HEARTSICK pastor reported the case of a housewife—a prominent member of his church—who had evaded the sugar regulations by a subterfuge. Said he: &#34;It is to me a tragic thing when a Christian woman will sell her soul for two pounds of sugar.&#34; To which might be added, &#34;God have mercy on the Christian man who sells his soul for an X-card, a tire ration, or a priority to which he is not justly entitled.&#34;  <BR> <BR>Citizenship, in these days, is much more than a matter of buying defense bonds, marching behind the band, or serving as an air-raid warden. It is a matter of honest and sincere co-operation in the program of the Government and of the community.  <BR> <BR>Certainly this does not mean that we argue for a sublimation of conscience. We take our stand with those who defend the rights of the individual conscience against those of the mass mind. What we are pleading for is an honest co-operation on the part of Christian people instead of evasion, subterfuge, and broad interpretations by which we excuse ourselves from duties and responsibilities commonly borne by common people.  <BR> <BR>The size of the advantage gained by dishonesty is the price mark we put upon our own soul.— <BR> <BR>Christian Advocate. <BR> <BR><a href="http://www.adventistarchives.org/docs/RH/RH1942-26/index.djvu?djvuopts&page=32" target=_top>http://www.adventistarchives.org/docs/RH/RH1942-26 /index.djvu?djvuopts&page=32</a> <BR> <BR></blockquote>

#2 08-14-09 5:02 pm

elaine

Re: War Rations and Honesty

As one who clearly remembers war rationing and stamps, I often traded coffee, meat and sugar stamps for those to buy canned fruit.  In an SDA community &#40;Union college&#41;, we always managed to have a busy &#34;trade&#34; exchanging stamps others wanted for those we did. <BR> <BR>One thing not traded, was for shoes.  Leather shoes was limited to 2 pair per year, and those with canvas and rope soles didn&#39;t last too long. <BR>Renie should be able to recall those days, also.

Board footer