Adventists for Tomorrow

Our mission is to provide a free and open medium that will assist individuals in forming accurate, balanced, and thoughtful opinions regarding issues within and without the church.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Due to a large increase in spam, I have frozen forum registration. If you are new to the site and want to register, e-mail me personally at vandolson@gmail.com. Thank you.

#1 07-09-09 11:21 pm

don

The Dead Sea Scrolls at Toronto's ROM

<b><font color="ff0000">The Dead Sea Scrolls at Toronto&#39;s Royal Ontario Museum</font></b> <BR> <BR>July 9, 2009<blockquote>Today, I went to see the Dead Sea Scrolls at the Royal Ontario Museum.  <BR> <BR>The event is a lesson in crowd control and security. All backpacks must be left in cloak rooms; people are given tickets granting permission to enter the exhibit within a certain half hour block of time. Uniformed officers wander the exhibits with the people. <BR> <BR>I went partially to determine if the exhibit of these important documents would prove of interest to our high school students. It is quite an intellectual experience, very little pizazz. The scrolls are presented at island-like kiosks in a large room with indirect and dim lighting. On a hot summer&#39;s day, the dim lighting and the climate-controlled air conditioning provided a quiet respite to an otherwise very busy day. Downtown Toronto is always such a people place; always busy. Except at the Dead Sea Scrolls exhibit. <BR> <BR>Israel is softly marketed along with the scrolls. One can buy Mount of Olives tea and soothing salts from the Dead Sea. <BR> <BR>Tiny replicas of a scroll can be purchased. As well as a DVD about the Scrolls and an aerial DVD of the land of Israel. <BR> <BR>The translation of the scrolls can be purchased; a complete translation or a translation of just the Biblical scrolls. My funds were low. I will have to find another time to purchase these items of interest. The Nag Hamadi library translation was also available. <BR> <BR>The sequence of the floor plan includes<ol><li>An introduction. <LI>A profile of the city of Sepphoris. <LI>A profile of the city of Jerusalem. <LI>A profile of Qumran. <LI>A description of the revolts which may have led to the hiding of the scrolls. <LI>The story of their discovery. <LI>The scrolls exhibited. <LI>A description of how they are protected. <LI>A celebration of their legacy. <LI>A retail section.</li></ol><b>Much of Interest to Adventists</b><blockquote>Scrolls exhibited: portions of Genesis; the Ten Commandments, both Deuteronomy and Exodus; Isaiah; Psalms; Daniel; and a Messianic Apocalypse.</blockquote><b>A Lecture Series Included</b> <BR> <BR>From June 2 to December 15 seventeen different lecture events have been planned. Some intentionally controversial such as Christopher Hitchens author of the book, God is Not Great and A. J. Jacobs author of the book, The Year of Living Biblically. Others seek to inform people of faith such as: The Impact of the Dead Sea Scrolls on the Bible; Israel at the Time of the Dead Sea Scrolls; and Jewish and Christian Origins as Revealed by the Dead Sea Scrolls.  <BR> <BR>The next half a year presents rare opportunities to gain a scholarly education on the roots of one&#39;s faith. <BR> <BR></blockquote><b>Further Information</b> <BR> <BR><a href="http://www.rom.on.ca/programs/pdf/lets_rom.pdf" target="_blank">Let&#39;s ROM</a>. This twenty-page pdf file is quite informative. <BR> <BR>For a collection of related items check out <a href="http://www.covenantforum.com/discus/messages/1121/2707.html" target="_blank">this site</a>. <BR> <BR><font color="ffffff"><font size="-2">.</font></font>

Board footer