Adventists for Tomorrow

Our mission is to provide a free and open medium that will assist individuals in forming accurate, balanced, and thoughtful opinions regarding issues within and without the church.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Due to a large increase in spam, I have frozen forum registration. If you are new to the site and want to register, e-mail me personally at vandolson@gmail.com. Thank you.

#1 07-06-09 8:02 am

don

Roswell F. Cottrell

<b><font color="ff0000">Roswell F. Cottrell, 1814-1892</font></b> <BR> <BR><b>Some Observations:</b><blockquote>1&#41; Cottrell stands out among the early Adventists because he refused to join the Sunday-keeping Millerites. He was living proof that the Shut Door doctrine was incorrect. <BR> <BR>2&#41; Before becoming an Adventist, he opposed the Baptist idea of the immortality of the soul. <BR> <BR>3&#41; His writing on the Three Angels&#39; Message confirms that early Adventists viewed the First Angel&#39;s message as Miller&#39;s proclaiming the Second Advent. <BR> <BR>4&#41; His poetry is playful and thought-provoking. The sentiments expressed played and replayed in the minds and writings of the early Adventist church. <BR> <BR>5&#41; He was one of the first Adventists to link Sunday-keeping and the Mark of the Beast. Did Seventh-day Baptists already make the link? <BR> <BR>6&#41; Cottrell was against church organization at first, but then he accepted the idea. <BR> <BR>7&#41; He wrote close to 1700 articles for church papers over a period of 40 years.</blockquote> <BR><b>ROSWELL F. COTTRELL &#40;1814-1892&#41;</b> of western New York State, was a descendant of the French Albigenses. His ancestors were among the founders of the first Seventh Day Baptist colony in Rhode Island. He was, in fact, brought up a Seventh Day Baptist, keeping the Sabbath all of his life. He was converted to the advent faith by Bates and Rhodes in 1851, at Washington, New Hampshire. He was a poet, especially noted as a hymn writer. His earliest contribution, soon after his accession, was his ironic poem on the Sabbath, &#34;It&#39;s Jewish!&#34; He is better known for such hymns as &#34;The Wonders of Redeeming Love,&#34; and was an effective force as a writer and counselor.  <BR> <BR>Prophetic Faith of Our Fathers, Volume Four, page 1084 <BR> <BR><a href="http://www.adventistarchives.org/docs/PFOF/PFOF1954-V04/index.djvu?djvuopts&page=1084" target=_top>http://www.adventistarchives.org/docs/PFOF/PFOF195 4-V04/index.djvu?djvuopts&page=1084</a> <BR> <BR><b>Review and Herald, November 25, 1851, page 6</b><blockquote>From Bro. Cottrell.  <BR> <BR>DEAR Bro. WHITE : There is a little company in this place who are trying to &#34; follow the Lamb whithersoever he goeth.&#34; Our hearts were refreshed and encouraged by Bro. Rhodes, who called on us, and held a meeting a week ago. I thank God for the consolation and encouragement I have received from this interview, and hope we may be favored with another visit from, him, or some other of the traveling brethren.  <BR> <BR>My early education was such, that I have believed in the personal appearing of Christ, according to the Scriptures, from my youth. In 1843 and 1844, I heard the solemn cry, &#34; The hour of his judgment is come,&#34; and though I felt no disposition to oppose it, and thought I loved his righteous appearing, yet I was not disappointed when the time passed by.  <BR> <BR>I saw the proclaimers of the Advent in darkness in regard to the commandments of God, and bowing to an institution of Papacy; and perhaps this was the reason I did not believe. But since, I have heard the message of the third angel, which was since the commencement of the Review and Herald, I have reviewed carefully the whole movement, and the solemn inquiry in my mind has been. Was it from Heaven or of men? After some nine months careful and cautious examination. I have just arrived at the decision.  <BR> <BR>I believe with all my heart, it was from Heaven. I cannot believe that God would suffer Satan to get up so exact a fulfillment of the prophecies to deceive the lovers of Jesus Christ—those who wait, and look for his appearing. If any one inquire how I can believe all this, since Christ did not appear according to the expectation of his children, I answer:  <BR> <BR>We are instructed [Rev. xiv,] that an angel should fly through the midst of heaven, saying, &#39;&#39;Fear God,&#34; &#34;for the hour of his judgment is come,&#34; and yet there is time for two other messages to follow in succession, before the Son of man is seen on the white cloud.  <BR> <BR>I greatly rejoice that when &#34; the temple of God was opened in heaven,&#34; his children on earth saw, by faith, &#39; the ark of his testament.&#34;  <BR> <BR>Yours in the blessed hope,  <BR> <BR>ROSWELL F. COTTRELL.  <BR> <BR>Mill Grove, &#40;N. Y&#41;, Oct. 19th, 1851 <BR> <BR><a href="http://www.adventistarchives.org/docs/RH/RH1851-V02-07/index.djvu?djvuopts&page=6" target="_blank">http://www.adventistarchives.org/docs/RH/RH1851-V0 2-07/index.djvu?djvuopts&page= 6</a> <BR> <BR></blockquote><b>Review and Herald, May 27, 1852, page 1.</b><blockquote><b>THE ARK.</b>  <BR> <BR>BY R. F. COTTRELL.  <BR> <BR>When ancient Israel met the foe,  <BR>That aimed at them a deadly blow,  <BR>Though oft their prospect seemed most dark,  <BR>They triumphed when they had the Ark.  <BR> <BR>The Ark when borne to Jordan&#39;s tide,  <BR>Caused its deep waters to divide;  <BR>They need no boat in which t&#39; embark;  <BR>They cross—because they have the Ark.  <BR> <BR>They march around old Jericho,  <BR>Its towering walls are laid full low—  <BR>Hear ye that mighty shouting? Hark!  <BR>They triumph, for they have the Ark.  <BR> <BR>Where was the strength by which it wrought,  <BR>And to its bearers victory brought ?  <BR>It was a chest of wood—but mark !  <BR>THE LAW OF GOD was in the Ark.  <BR> <BR>When men oppose that law of love,  <BR>They lack the wisdom from above ;  <BR>Deluded souls! they&#39;re in the dark,  <BR>Without the truth—without the Ark.  <BR> <BR>The remnant in these latter days  <BR>Will triumph sure ; give God the praise !  <BR>They, of the beast, refuse the mark.  <BR>They keep God&#39;s law—they have the Ark. <BR> <BR><a href="http://www.adventistarchives.org/docs/RH/RH1852-V03-02/index.djvu?djvuopts&page=1" target=_top>http://www.adventistarchives.org/docs/RH/RH1852-V0 3-02/index.djvu?djvuopts&page=1</a> <BR> <BR></blockquote><b>Review and Herald, February, 1851, page 1.</b> <BR> <BR><blockquote><b>It’s Jewish</b> <BR> <BR>When we present God’s holy law, <BR>And arguments from scripture draw, <BR>Objectors say, to pick a flaw, <BR>‘It’s Jewish’. <BR> <BR>Though at the first Jehovah blessed <BR>And sanctified His day of rest, <BR>The same belief is still expressed, <BR>‘It’s Jewish’. <BR> <BR>Though with the world this rest began, <BR>And thence through all Scriptures ran, <BR>And Jesus said ‘twas made for man’ <BR>--‘It’s Jewish’. <BR> <BR>Though not with Jewish rites, which passed, <BR>But with the moral law ‘twas classed, <BR>Which must exist while time shall last, <BR>‘It’s Jewish’. <BR> <BR>If from the Bible we present <BR>The Sabbath’s meaning and intent, <BR>This answers every argument <BR>—‘It’s Jewish’. <BR> <BR>Though the disciples, Luke and Paul, <BR>Continue still this rest to call <BR>The ‘Sabbath day’, this answers all, <BR>‘It’s Jewish’. <BR> <BR>The gospel teacher’s plain expression, <BR>That &#34;Sin is of the law transgression,&#34; <BR>Seems not to make the least impression <BR>—‘It’s Jewish’. <BR> <BR>They love the rest of man’s invention, <BR>But if Jehovah’s day we mention, <BR>This puts an end to all contention, <BR>‘It’s Jewish’. <BR> <BR>O ye who thus God’s day abuse, <BR>Simply because &#39;twas kept by Jews, <BR>The Saviour, too, you must refuse, <BR>‘He’s Jewish’. <BR> <BR>The Scriptures, then, we may expect <BR>For the same reason you&#39;ll reject; <BR>For if you will but recollect, <BR>‘They’re Jewish’. <BR> <BR>Thus the apostles, too, must fall; <BR>For Andrew, Peter, <BR>James, and Paul, <BR>Thomas, Matthew, John, and all <BR>‘Were Jewish’. <BR> <BR>So to your helpless state resign <BR>Yourself in wretchedness to pine; <BR>Salvation, surely you&#39;ll decline, <BR>‘It’s Jewish’. <BR> <BR> <BR>— By Roswell Fenner Cottrell, a Seventh Day Baptist who joined the early Adventist movement.  <BR> <BR>This poem appeared in the February, 1851, issue of The Second Advent Review and Sabbath Herald. <BR> <BR><a href="http://www.adventistarchives.org/docs/RH/RH1851-V01-06/index.djvu?djvuopts&page=1" target="_blank">http://www.adventistarchives.org/docs/RH/RH1851-V0 1-06/index.djvu?djvuopts&page=1</a> <BR> <BR>Also at: <BR> <BR><a href="http://www.covenantforum.com/cgi-bin/discus/show.cgi?tpc=584&post=4958#POST4958" target=_top>http://www.covenantforum.com/cgi-bin/discus/show.c gi?tpc=584&post=4958#POST4958</a> <BR> <BR></blockquote>

#2 07-06-09 1:33 pm

don

Re: Roswell F. Cottrell

<b><font color="ff0000">Review and Herald, October 30, 1856, page 5</font></b><blockquote>How shall I Vote?  <BR> <BR>THE government of the United States, I have no doubt, is the one symbolized in prophecy, by a beast with two horns like a lamb. Rev. xiii, 11. It has fulfilled, and is fulfilling every specification of the prophecy, down to the saying that should go to &#34; them that dwell upon the earth,&#34; that they &#40;the people&#41; should make an image to the papacy. Not that popery should be tolerated, and the first beast should enlarge his dominion ; but that another church —the Protestant—should be clothed with civil power, and thus constitute an image to the beast which had the wound by a sword and yet lived.  <BR> <BR>This being the case, our government is just upon the eve of a political contest which will finally result in the formation of the image ; for the next thing in the prophecy is the image completed and issuing its decrees of death and starvation against all who will not bow down to its authority, and receive the mark of the first beast, or take a share in the great number of his name. I do not know how this will be accomplished, or by whom ; but the prophecy assures me, it will be done.  <BR> <BR>Under these circumstances, if I cast my vote at all, it will, as far as it can have any influence on this question, tell for, or against the making of the image. If I vote in favor of the formation of the image, I shall aid in creating an abomination which will persecute the saints of God, and suddenly be destroyed by the brightness of Christ&#39;s coming. I cannot aid in a work that God hates, certainly. On the other hand, if I vote against this work, I shall vote against the fulfillment of the prophecy, which is already in progress of fulfillment. This could not possibly do any good; it could not defeat the work which He has foreseen, and suffers to be done. It will surely be done; and I cannot fight against it. Therefore, I cannot vote at all.  <BR> <BR>But you can vote against slavery, says one.  <BR> <BR>Very well; supposing I do, what will be the effect? In the last great persecution, which is just before us, the decrees of the image will be against the &#34; bond&#34; as well as the free. Bondmen will exist then till the last—till God interposes to deliver his saints, whether bond or free. My vote then cannot free the slaves; and all apparent progress towards emancipation will only exasperate their masters, and cause an aggravation of those evils it was intended to cure. I cannot, therefore, vote against slavery ; neither can I vote for it.  <BR> <BR>But are you not afraid those cruel, persecuting Catholics will get the reins of this government into their hands ? Vote against the Catholics.  <BR> <BR>I have no such fears ; for an image will not be the beast himself, but something which resembles him— another church-state government. Persecution is coming ; and since I must meet it, what difference does it make from whom it comes? Catholics are but men, so are Protestants. I do not know that death would be any sweeter because administered by Protestants. But how shall I vote against the Catholics ? By voting to exclude them from a share in the government. And when that is done, we shall have a Protestant church-state government—the image of the Roman government under the papal rule.  <BR> <BR>Again, I cannot vote for a bad man, for that is against my principles ; and, under the present corrupt and corrupting state of politics, I could not wish to elevate a good man to office, for it would ruin him.  <BR> <BR>Babylon is fallen. Come out of her my people. Ephraim is joined to his idols; let him alone.  <BR> <BR>R. F. C. <BR> <BR><a href="http://www.adventistarchives.org/docs/RH/RH1856-V08-26/index.djvu?djvuopts&page=5" target="_blank">http://www.adventistarchives.org/docs/RH/RH1856-V0 8-26/index.djvu?djvuopts&page= 5</a> <BR> <BR></blockquote><b>Questions/Observations</b><ol><li>Is Cottrell&#39;s view fatalistic? Explain. <LI>Do you agree with his reason for not voting against slavery? Explain. <LI>This was written before the civil war. Cottrell, and other Adventists, expect slavery to continue to the end. Since Revelation 13 mentions bondmen, must we conclude that slavery will be present in the last days? <LI>Do you agree that a good man running for office would be ruined or corrupted? Explain. <LI>This is 1856, when did the United States first become identified as the second beast of Revelation 13? <LI>Should our views of prophecy affect our civic behavior? Explain.</li></ol><b>Further Reading</b> <BR> <BR><a href="http://www.adventistarchives.org/docs/SAT/SAT19810501-V76-05/index.djvu?djvuopts&page=4" target="_blank">The Right to Vote-Shall I Exercise It?--Part I </a>, by Paul A. Gordon.  <BR> <BR> <BR>&#40;Message edited by Don on July 06, 2009&#41;

Board footer