Adventists for Tomorrow

Our mission is to provide a free and open medium that will assist individuals in forming accurate, balanced, and thoughtful opinions regarding issues within and without the church.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Due to a large increase in spam, I have frozen forum registration. If you are new to the site and want to register, e-mail me personally at vandolson@gmail.com. Thank you.

#1 08-13-09 12:05 am

don

My Friend

<b><font color="ff0000">My Friend and the Passages of Life.</font></b><blockquote>My friend lays dying in a palliative care suite in our local hospital. His family visit with him; with each other. His mother, 82 years of age, a stalwart of Adventism, a valued cook and Maranatha world traveler, attends to the food needs of the group.  <BR> <BR>His wife, still hoping, believing a miracle can happen. They have loved each other for a lifetime; Intense, strong-minded, side-by-side; created a life out of nothing; a world; a family. <BR> <BR>He lived by faith; by determination; putting family first; serving church and country; an educator, principal, counsellor; inheriter of humour and common sense. Athletic sportsman, churchman, civic leader, robust family man. Now, the disease has taken away his physical vitality; skin and bones; barely recognizable until conversation brings out the man we all love. <BR> <BR>Psychiatrist and social worker cannot understand his unflinching positive faith. &#34;Must be some deep-seated problem,&#34; they say. He doesn&#39;t get down, depressed, ever. <BR> <BR>Three families have come to the Lord because of him. People renew hope after conversing with this skeletal man of immense faith. <BR> <BR>We visit, he and I; my boss when I first began my career of teaching. We have known each other for decades; a few moments of disagreement long ago. He mentions those moments. &#34;We&#39;re Okay I assure him.&#34; He mentions feelings and thoughts hidden a lifetime; positive, consoling, appreciative. His facing the end opens up the depths of his world. We connect as never before. <BR> <BR>The family gathers: Two sons, one biological, one adopted; two daughters, beauties like their mom; one pregnant five months. Their spouses: all bright; friends; affectionate. The adopted son and wife have their three month old along. She&#39;s the center of attention. Loved by all. They take turns holding her, strolling her. She lays out on the coffee table surrounded by loving women. Grandpa, my friend, in the next room: tended to by nurses; visited by relatives, two at a time; resting; facing down the dragon. <BR> <BR>The intensity of life: overwhelming, wonderful, tragic, inescapable; full of hope and faith and tears.</blockquote> <BR><font color="ffffff"><font size="-2">.</font></font>

#2 08-13-09 3:17 pm

elaine

Re: My Friend

Death comes to us all.  To have a loving family and friends make it all worth the living.  Wnat else is there when we come to the end of life but to know we are loved, and then can go to sleep in peace. <BR> <BR>In such an instance you describe, death comes as a blessing--no more pain and suffering.  Why fear it.

#3 08-13-09 4:04 pm

cadge

Re: My Friend

How fortunate that you are able be and communicate with each other in faithful confidence. Not all have such blessings as you, as a pastor, know well Don. I&#39;m happy for you and grateful that prior differences did not abate your love for each other. Sad in ones departure, but joyful in knowing the outcome of a faitful ones destiny. <BR> <BR>Cadge

Board footer