Adventists for Tomorrow

Our mission is to provide a free and open medium that will assist individuals in forming accurate, balanced, and thoughtful opinions regarding issues within and without the church.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Due to a large increase in spam, I have frozen forum registration. If you are new to the site and want to register, e-mail me personally at vandolson@gmail.com. Thank you.

#1 06-16-09 10:25 am

cadge

Alcohol’s Good for You? Some Scientists Doubt It

Alcohol’s Good for You? Some Scientists Doubt It - NYTimes.com <BR> <BR>By now, it is a familiar litany. Study after study suggests that alcohol in moderation may promote heart health and even ward off diabetes and dementia. The evidence is so plentiful that some experts consider moderate drinking — about one drink a day for women, about two for men — a central component of a healthy lifestyle.  <BR> <BR>But what if it&#39;s a big mistake? <BR> <BR><a href="http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/16/health/16alco.html?_r=1&hpw" target=_top>http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/16/health/16alco.ht ml?_r=1&hpw</a> <BR> <BR> <BR>“I am happy to assure you that as a denomination we are in the fullest sense total abstainers&#34;...EGW  <BR> <BR> <BR>Prov.23:29,30:  <BR> <BR>29. &#34;Who hath woe? who hath sorrow? who hath contentions? who hath babbling? who hath wounds without cause? who hath redness of eyes?  <BR> <BR> 30. They that TARRY LONG at the wine; they that go to seek mixed wine. <BR> <BR> <BR>Well, whadda ya gonna do?

#2 06-16-09 7:09 pm

elaine

Re: Alcohol’s Good for You? Some Scientists Doubt It

Surely, it is possible to determine the difference between total abstinence and drunkenness.   <BR> <BR>If one cannot be moderate in all good things, it is a personal problem, not one that should be promoted by a religion for total abstinence simply because a few are intemperate.  That also goes for food:  it is good, but excessive eating of bad food is also intemperate.

#3 06-16-09 8:33 pm

bob_2

Re: Alcohol’s Good for You? Some Scientists Doubt It

What of gluttony??? Obesity, Diabetes, Heart disease, some of these related to overindulgence. Some genetic propensities. Whadda ya gonna do??

Board footer