Adventists for Tomorrow

Our mission is to provide a free and open medium that will assist individuals in forming accurate, balanced, and thoughtful opinions regarding issues within and without the church.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Due to a large increase in spam, I have frozen forum registration. If you are new to the site and want to register, e-mail me personally at vandolson@gmail.com. Thank you.

#26 06-16-11 9:32 am

hfsturges
Website

Re: The Book of Life and the New Covenant

Bob_2

Your statement is NOT what I said.  Did you read my second to last post?  I also recognized what you said about you and "Bob" in that post.

Bob Sands wrote:

Now, tell me who else believes that the Old Covenant is the 45 days from the broken tablets on Sinai to the second set of commandments, I don't even think EGW goes there, does she?

#27 06-16-11 12:09 pm

bob_2

Hubb, good morning, please clarify what I said you said. I looked back over the posts and it appears to be a quorte of yours.

#28 06-16-11 2:50 pm

hfsturges
Website

Bob_2,

Did you read my last post?  I quoted YOU where you implied that I believed  "that the Old Covenant is the 45 days from the broken tablets on Sinai to the second set of commandments"

Of course, I do NOT believe that.  The timing is completely wrong.

Incidentally, this forum program is quite primitive.  Very little you can do to dress up your writing.  I use SMF for my personal forum, and it has a lot more features, and it is free.

#29 06-16-11 3:50 pm

bob

Bob-2 wrote:

Hubb, you have to remember there is a Bob_2, me, and a Bob who I am not. Thanks for jumping in Bob before Hubb's last response, I agree with what you posted. Just clarifying for Hubb who he iis talking to and see there is more than one person on this forum that agrees with the NewCovenant Theology.  If I have assumed too much Bob, please clarify.

I am just plain Bob, not Bob Sands who I believe is Bob-2.  Bob-2 and I are brothers in Christ, but we are not related by blood. 

I am a New Covenant Christian.  I do not have one foot in the Old Covenant and one in the New. 

How can a person be loyal to two Covenants?  Either we are loyal to the covenant of Grace and love or we are loyal to the covenant of works and laws.  Paul, the voice of God, says we Christians are not under the old Covenant laws, our works are as filthy rags and don't count as far as attaining Grace.  He goes on to tell us that the law added at Sinai, which includes the 10 were in force until Jesus came.  I believe Paul.  I cannot believe what some person and/or church tells me if it is different than what Paul wrote. 

The Plan of Salvation is simple, why do some make it so very hard?

#30 06-16-11 7:23 pm

bob_2

Bob, as Christ withered the unfruitful fig tree, the Christian if Spirit filled will produce fruit. It is not the production that saves one but the result of being saved, and any thing not done in faith is worthless:

James 2:  14 What good is it, my brothers and sisters, if someone claims to have faith but has no deeds? Can such faith save them? 15 Suppose a brother or a sister is without clothes and daily food. 16 If one of you says to them, “Go in peace; keep warm and well fed,” but does nothing about their physical needs, what good is it? 17 In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead.
18 But someone will say, “You have faith; I have deeds.”

Show me your faith without deeds, and I will show you my faith by my deeds. 19 You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe that—and shudder.

20 You foolish person, do you want evidence that faith without deeds is useless[d]? 21 Was not our father Abraham considered righteous for what he did when he offered his son Isaac on the altar? 22 You see that his faith and his actions were working together, and his faith was made complete by what he did. 23 And the scripture was fulfilled that says, “Abraham believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness,”[e] and he was called God’s friend. 24 You see that a person is considered righteous by what they do and not by faith alone.

25 In the same way, was not even Rahab the prostitute considered righteous for what she did when she gave lodging to the spies and sent them off in a different direction? 26 As the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without deeds is dead.

Last edited by bob_2 (06-16-11 7:28 pm)

#31 06-16-11 7:30 pm

bob_2

Hubb you have said on your forum:

The covenant of God cannot be broken by man.
     “My covenant will I not break, nor alter the thing that is gone out of my lips” (Psalm 89:34

http://www.everlastingcovenant.com/article.php?id=219

This was conditional. If you say the Old Covenant did not end or become obsolete you are not telling it straight.

Last edited by bob_2 (06-16-11 7:33 pm)

#32 06-16-11 7:55 pm

bob_2

Hubb I maintain that your use of the word Covenant for the Promise to Abraham, stating it the way you do, confuses the study of the Bible:

http://www.everlastingcovenant.com/article.php?id=75

That is just an example, you use confusing terminology that is not used in the Bible.

There are two covenants that we can see what happens to each here: Heb8:13

The Promise to Abraham is stated that way to not confuse the reader. Paul uses it that way. The Promise is the basis of Salvation until the Decalogue is given if one has faith in that Promise, it is conditionally given to the Jews until they fail in their unbelief. Yes, the Bible says that Salvation is of the Jews, but if you read Romans 11 carefully, not all Jews will be saved, only a remnant that believe in the Messiah will be saved. When the Jews failed, the curtain of the Temple was ripped from top to bottom ending their covenant, the Old Covenant and brought in the New Covenant that had a place for the Gentiles to be saved by adoption to benefit from the Promise of Abraham.

There  still is a standard of behavior, but it is expanded and the Sabbath is fulfilled in Christ. Lev 23 points out that the Sabbath was one of the Festival that no longer was required, but that all men are to be convinced in their own heart. It is just as wrong to keep Saturday Sabbath for the wrong reason as it is to keep Sunday as Sabbath as most of Christendom does for the wrong reason, without authority. But both if done by faith are OK. There is no sacred day in the New Covenant, because Christ became the only Rest we really need to be saved. I am not talking of a physical rest, man does need that, but to require it to be saved is not salvific.

#33 06-17-11 1:18 am

bob_2

Hubb said:

I definitely believe that the Bible is inerrant for doctrine, and you can add "in its original autographs" if needed.  To be technical, I would limit this to the canonical writings, and leave out the apocrypha.  The first/historical old covenant was made at Sinai.  Immediately afterward Moses and Joshua went into the mount, waited till the seventh day, when Moses was invited into the thick cloud and was given the ten commandments written on stone.  After 40 days and nights without food or water, God told him that the people had corrupted themselves.  Moses and Joshua went down the mountain and came upon the scene of debauchery that is so well known.  He threw down the brand new tables of the law and smashed them on the rocks.  It was just 46 days!

Look, when men from a certain culture wrote books of the Bible considered inspired, they spoke from their culture. Example:

Isa 66:  22 “As the new heavens and the new earth that I make will endure before me,” declares the LORD, “so will your name and descendants endure. 23 From one New Moon to another and from one Sabbath to another, all mankind will come and bow down before me,” says the LORD. 24 “And they will go out and look on the dead bodies of those who rebelled against me; the worms that eat them will not die, the fire that burns them will not be quenched, and they will be loathsome to all mankind.”

This was written from a cultural perspective. I have often thought what a gruesome Sabbath after noon activity observing past acquantences burning forever. This is not an  Eternal burning, is until consumed. That is another study on annhilation that is interesting if interested.

Question, did you want everything in Genesis spoken according to modern science. I believe some Evolutionist and Creationist expect that and reject the Creation story because the word they expected aren't there.

#34 06-17-11 6:37 am

Old Abe

Bob2
Re your quote from Isiah: Velikovsky has a very different take on those passages.
According to him during the days of Isiah the earth was subjected to cosmic forces that accounted for the events in the death of Ahaz and the the sun dial of Hezikiah.

The new heavens and earth was the result of those changes. It is not about some future time  after the second coming.

The seventh day is the Sabbath however Gentile Christians are not obligated to observe it nor are they prohibited either.

#35 06-17-11 2:27 pm

bob_2

Readers note:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immanuel_Velikovsky

He sounds sort of wacky to me. As a Jew he would try to protect the Old Covenant, wouldn't he????

#36 06-17-11 2:32 pm

bob_2

Hubb, I think most Christians know about the broken, smashed commandments, I am just not sure why you spend so much time on it:

After 40 days and nights without food or water, God told him that the people had corrupted themselves.  Moses and Joshua went down the mountain and came upon the scene of debauchery that is so well known.  He threw down the brand new tables of the law and smashed them on the rocks.  It was just 46 days

So what? Once Moses got the people settled down, the final copy was given to the Jews through Moses on the Mount, right???

Last edited by bob_2 (06-17-11 2:33 pm)

#37 06-17-11 2:38 pm

bob_2

Hubb said:

Incidentally, this forum program is quite primitive.  Very little you can do to dress up your writing.  I use SMF for my personal forum, and it has a lot more features, and it is free.

Guess you'll have to take that up with Ryan. Send him a note. We still don't have all posts converted to this last program change. However, Hubb, what does it matter if you don't allow individuals to post on your new shiny forum, if you can call it that, to suggest where your errors are. How many have you allowed in to converse with you???

"Think for yourself,  not by yourself" - David Larson, LLU Religion Faculty Member

Last edited by bob_2 (06-17-11 2:41 pm)

#38 06-17-11 10:29 pm

Ryan
Administrator
Website

Hubb, I purposely chose FluxBB as the forum software because it was free, open-source, very quick, and didn't have unnecessary clutter features.  I also think there are enough available options so that everyone can dialog without the pain of blinking text and personal font styles.  If you want more options to dress up your text, however, you are free to look into BBCode, and I can help you with custom code.  But, in regards to this forum and its purpose, FluxBB is chugging along quite nicely with a decent balance of features/options for those who want them and a lack of features/options so that this site is quick.

(The really nice thing about FluxBB is that it is probably the most lightweight forum software available: The default setup is barebones but can be easily and quickly customized with added plug-ins and modifications.  This modular approach allows it to be lightweight, and though this may not be important to those of us with high-speed internet, I've also got people with dial-up in mind.)

Now back to the topic?   smile

#39 06-17-11 11:32 pm

bob_2

Sammie in his post #1 said:

The terms of the New Covenant, whose mediator is Christ (Heb 12:24), stipulate what God will do for man, Jews and Gentiles alike (Eph 2:11-19).  The New Covenant says nothing on what is required from man so that God will do His part.  In the New Covenant, nothing is required of man in order for him to benefit from it.  Under the terms of the New Covenant, God does everything, man reaps all the blessings.

I would differ with that summary of salvation. The Spirit when indwelling in the Christian cause fruit to be produce. If none produced it is like the withering fig tree that Christ cursed. Paul speaks in places of race to be run, a fight to be fought. It is not the fruit that saves but the acceptance of Christ and His Spirit into our lives. But fruit will be the outcome of someone having accepted Christ.

Last edited by bob_2 (06-17-11 11:33 pm)

#40 06-18-11 1:15 am

hfsturges
Website

Several comments have been made about the Old and the New Covenants;  yet these have not been described.  It is difficult to discuss these covenants without a clear description of what is being talked about. 

The New covenant is described in Jeremiah 31:31-34; Hebrews 9:9-11; 10:16,17.  The issue usually addressed is that God took the initiative to put the law into the hearts and minds of His people.  While this is the focus of the new covenant, it is only a part.  However, if you read carefully you find that the new covenant was also given to Adam and Eve, to Abraham and to all his descendants.

The term "Old Covenant" is found only in Hebrews.  Hebrews 9:18-21 points to the "historical old covenant" ratified in the procedure of Exodus 24:3-11.  This covenant lasted for just the 46 days that Moses and Joshua was in the mount with God, and was broken by the heathen festival made at the foot of Sinai.  The old covenant has come to be used as a convenient term to describe the effort of men to do the work of God in their own strength.

The reason I insist on the proper description of the historical old covenant is that sloppy reading of the Bible description completely misses the issues involved.  I realize that I am more than "picky" when I talk about the covenant.  I don't wish to irritate other members, so will suggest if you want to know what I think about the covenant, please read my website where I have more of a venue for complete discussions.  I will be glad to answer questions.
As for the present forum program:  I have no complaint, only an observation.  Ryan has given good reasons for choosing this program.  I raised the question because I could find no way to "bold" anything in a post.

#41 06-18-11 6:31 am

cadge

Under the Old Covenant dispensation: "The law and the Prophets were until John" Luke 16:16

A vision of Moses and Elijah appeared at the Mount of transfiguration. Peter said "Lord, it is good for us to be here. Let us make three tabernacles. One for thee, and one for Moses, and one for Elijah". Matt 17:4

Under the New Covenant dispensation: While he spoke......  God said : "This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased, hear ye Him" Matt 17:5"

God, after He spoke long ago to the Fathers in the prophets in many portions and in many ways, in these last days has spoken to us in His Son, whom He appointed heir of all things, by whom He also made the worlds" Heb 1:1,2

Luke, in Acts, goes on to show who is the author and mediator of the New Covenant:

"The former treatise have I made, O Theophilus, of all that Jesus began both to do and teach until the day in which he was taken up. After that, He, through the Holy Ghost, had given commandments unto the apostles whom He had chosen. To whom He also showed Himself alive after His passion by many infallible proof, being seen of them forty days, and speaking of the things pertaining to the Kingdom of God" Acts 1:1-3

We are now, in the New Covenant, under the law of Christ: "If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love." John 15:10

He says: "If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed, and ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." John 8:31,32.

So, the New Testaments encouragements, directions, corrections, hopes and warnings, given by Jesus first when He was on the earth, and then after, "He through the Holy Ghost" are recorded in the scriptures as His commandments to us in these "last days" Heb 1:1,2 (Which days began when Jesus entered into His ministry).

Now, we need to pay good attention to His commandments, because He says that: "If a man love me, he will keep my words, and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him and make our abode with him. He that loveth me not keepeth not my sayings; and the word which ye hear is not mine, but he Father's which sent me." John 14: 23,24.

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: and every one that loveth Him that begat, loveth Him also that is begotten of Him. By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God and keep His commandments. For this is the love of God, that we keep His commandments, and His commandments are not grievous. 1John 5:1-3 (Remember, Jesus' sayings/commandments are also His Father's commandments. Acts 1:1-3 and  Jn 14:24)

"If ye abide in me, and my words abide in you, ask whatsoever ye will, and it shall be done unto you."JOHN 15:7

That's what is so great about the New Covenant teachings. They are "the Spirit of prophecy and the testimony of Jesus Christ" Rev 19:10.

Cadge

#42 06-18-11 9:19 pm

bob_2

Cadge said:

Under the Old Covenant dispensation: "The law and the Prophets were until John" Luke 16:16

This does not mean that John the Baptist was the Seed referred to elsewhere in the Bible, but that he was the current messenger pointing to Christ. Notice John Gill's remarks of this verse:

John Gill's Exposition of the Bible: http://www.freegrace.net/gill/
Luke 16:16

Ver. 16. The law and the prophets were until John,.... Till the time that John the Baptist began his ministry; for till then, the law and the prophets, with the Hagiographa, or holy writings, for into these three parts the Jews divided the books of the Old Testament, were the only writings they had; and which contained the whole of the revelation granted to them; and which they wrested, and put false glosses on; and therefore it was no wonder that they derided Christ, and despised his ministry: and whereas spiritual things were promised in these writings, under the notion of temporal ones; which they not understanding, might imagine the doctrine of Christ, concerning the contempt of worldly riches, was contrary to: and since they valued themselves on having the law and the prophets, Christ observes, that

and following:

John continued preaching untill the Seed (Jesus )would come. John recognized that one greater than himself was to come.

Hubb, you said something here that you told me you didn't believe:

This covenant lasted for just the 46 days that Moses and Joshua was in the mount with God, and was broken by the heathen festival made at the foot of Sinai.

That 45 days has nothing to do with the actual Old Covenant until the Seed shall come. Please clarify your "obsession" with the breaking of the commandment by Moses, the Old Covenant were the second Tablets Moses brought off the mountain. Right????

Last edited by bob_2 (06-18-11 9:20 pm)

#43 06-19-11 1:03 am

bob

Hubert, if the covenant with the children of Israel was broken and ended with the golden calf then were the Israelites with out a covenant until Jesus died on the Cross? 
My understanding is that the COI never did keep the covenant, but God would restore the promise after each time the nation fell in part or as a whole.   When God restored them did the covenant change each time He offered them grace?  My understanding is that God continued to offer the same covenant.

Jeremiah tells us He would write the law in our hearts.  Is the law He was referring to the Torah?  Is it the 10 commandments plus a few from the book of the  law?  Is it the law of love found in Deut. and Lev.?    Where is the correct answer found in scripture?

#44 06-19-11 9:15 am

hfsturges
Website

Bob,
Very good question.  After the golden calf incident, Moses interceded with God for the people, I believe, four times.  This finally culminated in Moses actually seeing God as He passed by (Genesis 34:6,7).  The covenant was then renewed (Exodus 34:9-10) and for half the chapter thereafter.

It was the Abrahamic covenant.  the covenant with Abraham was an "everlasting covenant" and was to be with Israel throughout their entire history.  AND "If ye be Christ's  ye be Abraham's seed" indicates that the Abrahamic covenant is the covenant with the Christian church.

Further, it was the Abrahamic covenant that Christ confirmed on the cross of Calvary.  It was the New Covenant!

#45 06-19-11 9:21 am

hfsturges
Website

Bob,
The Abrahamic covenant is the everlasting covenant of God, or "My Covenant" accepted by faith by Abraham and renewed at frequent intervals.  It needed to be renewed with each generation and with each person.  With Israel it was renewed every time they were delivered by a righteous judge, and later by a good king.  There was a majority that failed to understand the covenant and corrupted the covenant, doing the ceremonies to "appease God," a form of idolatry.  Then there was the righteous remnant who kept in mind a Redeemer who would  come.

#46 06-19-11 1:49 pm

bob_2

The Abrahamic Promise was the basis of the Old and New Covenant. Once each covenant started based on the Abrahamic Promise, neither ended after Moses received the Ten Commandments. Israel did not fall in and out of the Old Covenant, God was always faithful and the Old Covenant was always there for them to return to until the Seed came, Jesus Christ. Upon His death He ushered in the New Covenant, with the Last Supper symbols. It is now based on Abraham's Promise and on other better Promises. God was and is faithful in both covenants and the Abrahamic Promise. If the New Covenant was based on the Decalogue, there is no afterlife to expect, but if based on the promise to Abraham and the better pomises of the New Covenant, we can be assured of Eternal life.

The Abrahamic Covenant is not the New Covenant, but the basis of it. That is important to realize, and Hubb you confuse the two, because you want an everlasting covenant or a consistent Covenant. You have to believe in the discontinuity of the two, Old and New Covenant, Heb 8:13. The Decalogue was enlarged upon in the New Covenant but covered behaviors that are not mentioned in the 10 Commandments. Christ fulfilled the Sabbath as our Rest. It is fine to worship on the Shadow Sabbath, but OK also to worship on other days also. But do it for the right reasons, because it's keeping is not salvific.

#47 06-20-11 12:26 pm

hfsturges
Website

Bob_2,
You are coming closer.  The Abrahamic covenant was intended for all his descendants.  The Abrahamic covenant was offered at Sinai (Exodus 19:4-6).  The people made promises to do all that God had requested, and these were good promises (Deuteronomy 5:28,29) - except -- they were lacking in faith, and they did not look forward to a Redeemer for forgiveness of sins (Exodus 23:21).  The Ten Commandments were given BEFORE the ratification ceremony (Exodus 24:3-11).

Jesus is the Mediator of the New Covenant.  It is not so clear as to the meaning of "New" which could be "New  - brand new, not having existed before" or "New - renewed."  Either way, we find that 1 Peter 2:9 repeats the wording of the covenant offered at Sinai (Exodus 19:4-6) consistent with the concept that the Abrahamic covenant applied to the New Testament church as well.  This is supported by the statement, "If ye be Christ's, then are ye Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise (Galatians 3:29)

Hebrews was written for Jewish Christians who could not give up features of the ceremonial law -- circumcision, and certain rituals of purification especially.  This issue is discussed in Acts 15, Hebrews chapters 7-10, 2 Corinthians 3, and others.  Paul emphasized that Christians must look to Jesus Christ, His sacrifice on Calvary, Resurrection, and His heavenly priesthood.

As to specific issues in your post:  The historical old covenant was never renewed, if fact it is never called the "old covenant" in the Old Testament.  The old covenant discussed in Hebrews was a New testament phenomenon.  Throughout Jewish history, the Jews were under the Abrahamic covenant.  They may have looked back to the historical old covenant, or they may have gradually slid into a corrupted idolatrous concept of the Abrahamic covenant -- That is an open question.  We do know that they had a corrupted idolatrous understanding of the sacrifices and the sanctuary services.  Please pardon, I have said some things here that need extended discussion.

The other issue is your concept of the Sabbath.  Bob, If I can talk to you as to a friend -- could I suggest that you sit down, and mentally consider "is the seventh-day Sabbath still the Sabbath of God?"  You have to come to the place where you can accept it or reject ir -- giving each equal weight.  Read the Bible and pray, and ask for light, and determine to follow whatever God reveals to you. The fact that you bring this up so often indicates to me that  you have a hidden conviction that God still wants you to keep the Sabbath.  And if you do so, you will find peace.

#48 06-20-11 3:54 pm

bob_2

Hubb, read this text then look again at your words:

Eph 2:14 For he himself is our peace, who has made the two groups one and has destroyed the barrier, the dividing wall of hostility, 15 by setting aside in his flesh the law with its commands and regulations.
His purpose was to create in himself one new humanity out of the two, thus making peace, 16 and in one body to reconcile both of them to God through the cross, by which he put to death their hostility. 17 He came and preached peace to you who were far away and peace to those who were near. 18 For through him we both have access to the Father by one Spirit.

What is the barrier  between Jew and Gentile? The Sabbath and circumcision. You have to talk about the two, because they are a barrier to the Gentiles, and Paul needed to clarify what the New Covenant  actually meant.

Hubb, I am pretty clear on my study and checking it with other scholars. However, you and Tom have strange doctrine. Tom want to purport a Reformed Sabbath, you want talk about an Everlasting Covenant that is nowhere in the Bible as you use it.

Last edited by bob_2 (06-20-11 3:59 pm)

#49 03-08-12 6:56 am

hira2

lol I will forgive their wickedness and will remember their sins no more" No IFs, no BUTs;  in short, under the New Covenant, pardon for sins committed, past, present, future is not conditioned upon man’s act, but upon God’s decision.  Immeasurable grace, boundless love of God for man.  Sinful man became righteous in God’s sight because of Christ’s death on the cross.  All our sins are no longer imputed upon us.

#50 03-08-12 8:54 pm

bob_2

Welcome hira2!!! There will always be a standard of behavior. Read Paul:

1 Corinthians 9:21

21 To those not having the law I became like one not having the law (though I am not free from God’s law but am under Christ’s law), so as to win those not having the law.

and

2 Tim 3:  1 But mark this: There will be terrible times in the last days. 2 People will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boastful, proud, abusive, disobedient to their parents, ungrateful, unholy, 3 without love, unforgiving, slanderous, without self-control, brutal, not lovers of the good, 4 treacherous, rash, conceited, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God— 5 having a form of godliness but denying its power. Have nothing to do with such people.

The Gospel takes care of the evil we inherited from Adam (original sin) and Jesus dies for our sins, but we have to allow the Holy Spirit to mold us, or we "have a form of godliness but deny its power."The Holy Spirit abide in us to empower us.

What you are suggesting is  "antinomianism".

Last edited by bob_2 (03-08-12 8:56 pm)

Board footer