Adventists for Tomorrow

Our mission is to provide a free and open medium that will assist individuals in forming accurate, balanced, and thoughtful opinions regarding issues within and without the church.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Due to a large increase in spam, I have frozen forum registration. If you are new to the site and want to register, e-mail me personally at vandolson@gmail.com. Thank you.

#1 02-08-09 3:40 pm

bob_2

The Work of the Prophets

I recently subscribed to a service where various authors comment on the Sabbath School lesson on a daily/weekly basis. Here is a parable to provoke thinking from that source:  <BR> <BR><blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1><b>quote:</b></font><p>Parable <BR> <BR>A young pastor was assigned to a middle-class  <BR>church a long way from his home town. He  <BR>immediately began changing everything about the  <BR>church. He hired an interior designer to make  <BR>over his office. He changed the order of service.  <BR>When it was time for the nominating committee to  <BR>select officers for the following year, he  <BR>presented his own plan for the officers and the way they were organized. <BR> <BR>He started up a singing group and took over one  <BR>of the rooms in the church for his own Sabbath  <BR>school. Instead of sermons, the church was  <BR>treated to a PowerPoint presentation every week. <BR> <BR>The church grew and prospered. It exceeded the  <BR>budget by more than 10 percent the first year. <BR> <BR>One day an officer at the local conference  <BR>stopped by to see how the new pastor was doing. <BR> <BR>&#34;I&#39;ve only received a couple of complaints about  <BR>your work here,&#34; the conference officer said.  <BR>&#34;Some of your members say you don&#39;t follow the church manual-&#34; <BR> <BR>&#34;-Of course I don&#39;t follow the church manual,&#34;  <BR>the pastor sputtered. &#34;It&#39;s outdated. It&#39;s  <BR>archaic. And,&#34; he added, &#34;I&#39;ve learned a better way to organize the church.&#34; <BR> <BR>&#34;And who gave you the authority to organize the church your way?&#34; <BR> <BR>&#34;I did. I&#39;m the manager of this church. I can manage it any way I want.&#34; <BR> <BR>Without a word the church officer turned and walked away. <BR> <BR>The church continued to grow and prosper. <BR> <BR>1. Leading Thought. When we see wrong decisions  <BR>being made or good decisions put aside in our  <BR>church, should we take responsibility for  <BR>correcting those problems? In the story above,  <BR>the mistakes by the pastor didn&#39;t seem to be  <BR>hurting the church. Even the conference official  <BR>didn&#39;t mind. Is that a good reason to say  <BR>nothing? What if Ellen White were a member of  <BR>that congregation. Would she have a different perspective? <BR><!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>

#2 02-08-09 10:36 pm

bob_2

Re: The Work of the Prophets

Another contribution from this source:  <BR> <BR>The un-organized church. Many people consider  <BR>themselves Adventists but do not attend church  <BR>even though they are able to do so. What are some  <BR>reasons why people choose not to come to worship  <BR>services? Should these people be allowed to call  <BR>themselves Adventists? Why or why not? <BR> <BR>Does an SDA member have a right not to attend a dysfunctional church, and worship with a non-SDA church to obtain his weekly blessing???

#3 02-09-09 10:46 am

elaine

<font color="0000ff"><b>Does an SDA member have a right not to attend a dysfunctional church, and worship with a non-SDA church to obtain his weekly blessing???</b> </font> <BR> <BR>You mention &#34;right&#34; and there are no laws about attending any church, ever!  A person of any denomination can attend, or not attend whatever church he attends.  Where do you get the idea of &#34;right&#34; from? This indicates faulty thinking. <BR>Belief or choice of a church to attend is always optional.

#4 02-09-09 4:45 pm

bob_2

Doesn&#39;t the Bible say:  <BR> <BR><blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1><b>quote:</b></font><p>Hebrews 10:23Let us hold unswervingly to the hope we profess, for he who promised is faithful. 24And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. 25Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching.  <BR> <BR><!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote> <BR> <BR>So one would have to determine which community best fits them, right. I take this command seriously.

#5 02-14-12 3:53 am

wertg
Website

questions and, admittedly, a little guilt.

These 10 tips arewow goldthe quick and dirty answers towow gold kaufenthe current state of hunter optimization.

Board footer