Adventists for Tomorrow

Our mission is to provide a free and open medium that will assist individuals in forming accurate, balanced, and thoughtful opinions regarding issues within and without the church.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Due to a large increase in spam, I have frozen forum registration. If you are new to the site and want to register, e-mail me personally at vandolson@gmail.com. Thank you.

#1 07-11-11 3:42 pm

bob_2

Did Jesus REFORM the Sabbath or keep it as it should be kept?

Read these paragraphs:

The point is that, as Lord of the Sabbath, He knew what the Sabbath law meant. He had the right, not to break it, but to authoritatively explain what it meant. In the next few verses, having confronted their misconceptions of the Sabbath law, He performed a great healing on the Sabbath. What was the purpose of miracles? To prove the messenger was speaking God's will. How could Jesus do a miracle, if He had just preached error about the Sabbath or had justified people who violated it? Had the Pharisees recognized His Lordship and authority, on the basis of His miracles, how could they have condemned His explanation of the Sabbath law? Surely the fact Jesus could do miracles proved Him to be Lord. Surely then His explanation of the Sabbath must be correct. And the cause of the conflict was not Jesus' conduct, but rather the Pharisees' traditions and refusal to accept what God had really said about the Sabbath law.

And finally, the fact that Jesus kept the Sabbath does not in any way prove that the Sabbath is still in effect today. The Law of Moses was in effect till Jesus' died (Col. 2:14), so Jesus was born and lived under the Law (Galatians 4:4). He kept the Sabbath for the same reasons that He kept the laws of animal sacrifice. But when He died, He removed the Old Law and instituted the gospel (Hebrews 10:9,10). The New Testament nowhere requires resting on the seventh day of the week, as did the Old Testament. For more information, please see our article on the Old Law and the Sabbath for today at our Bible Instruction web site at www.gospelway.com/instruct/.

http://gospelway.com/topics/bible/jesus_sabbath.php

Note this passage in the NT:

Heb 10:8 First he said, “Sacrifices and offerings, burnt offerings and sin offerings you did not desire, nor were you pleased with them”—though they were offered in accordance with the law. 9 Then he said, “Here I am, I have come to do your will.” He sets aside the first to establish the second. 10 And by that will, we have been made holy through the sacrifice of the body of Jesus Christ once for all.

Last edited by bob_2 (07-11-11 3:51 pm)

#2 01-28-12 10:58 pm

Gibs

Re: Did Jesus REFORM the Sabbath or keep it as it should be kept?

For me the "New Covanant" was established by Jesus Christ. I guess I don't really like the word theology as the truth is what we are after and it is the positive Words of God.  The great difference between the old covenant and the new, the new is on better promises.

Heb 12:24 And to Jesus the mediator of the new covenant, and to the blood of sprinkling, that speaketh better things than that of Abel.
Heb 8:6 ¶ But now hath he obtained a more excellent ministry, by how much also he is the mediator of a better covenant, which was established upon better promises.
Heb 8:7 For if that first covenant had been faultless, then should no place have been sought for the second.
Heb 8:8 For finding fault with them, he saith, Behold, the days come, saith the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah:
Heb 8:9 Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day when I took them by the hand to lead them out of the land of Egypt; because they continued not in my covenant, and I regarded them not, saith the Lord.
Heb 8:10 For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, saith the Lord; I will put my laws into their mind, and write them in their hearts: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people:
Heb 10:4 For it is not possible that the blood of bulls and of goats should take away sins.

In the New Covanant He made it that He could dwell within each one who fully and truly repented and nothing withheld, the "house" fully cleaned, then He would come in and be it's one and only master, as Paul put it, "Christ in you the Hope of Glory and is the Divine Nature.

Then our will is fully given to be His will and our Love has become His Love, now those commandments of Love are now our nature as His. We then are no longer under the Law as it is in our hearts.

But now if we slipped back into the old "wallow", like Paul reveals, the law revives and we are dead again. So back again to repentance again we must go and set a firmer resolve as we cannot continue to repeat this forever.

He made it so we too can be the overcomers that He was taking no power but what is extended to us to have.

I could go on and on with this and into being Spiritual Members of His Spiritual Body, Ekklesia, Church, called out ones, but it all goes together and amounts to who the "Remnant Church" is today.

Follow only Him Dear Friends,
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1Jo 4:4 ¶ Ye are of God, little children, and have overcome them: because greater is he that is in you, than he that is in the world

#3 01-28-12 11:09 pm

Gibs

On the Sabbath, Jesus kept it and fulfilled it and here is His words on the commandments,

Mt 5:17 ¶ [ Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.

Mt 5:18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.

Mt 5:19 Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

I think I would think a dozen times about teaching any one to break any one of them 10 commandments, the Law of Love includes all ten, they are in the ark of the testament in Heaven, He even puts them on display,

Re 11:19 And the temple of God was opened in heaven, and there was seen in his temple the ark of his testament: and there were lightnings, and voices, and thunderings, and an earthquake, and great hail.

1Jo 4:4 ¶ Ye are of God, little children, and have overcome them: because greater is he that is in you, than he that is in the world.

#4 01-29-12 1:14 am

bob_2

Gibs, How many times would you think before requiring Sabbathkeeping for Salvation?

Romans 14:5 One person considers one day more sacred than another; another considers every day alike. Each of them should be fully convinced in their own mind.

and that the Old Covenant is:

Hebrews 8:13 By calling this covenant “new,” he has made the first one obsolete; and what is obsolete and outdated will soon disappear.

and the Ten Commandments were part of a specific set of rules given to a specific people for a specific time:

Deuteronomy 5:3 It was not with our ancestors[a] that the LORD made this covenant, but with us, with all of us who are alive here today.

until when is it to be kept. If not for ancestors not for descendants after the Seed has come? :

Galatians 3:19 Why, then, was the law given at all? It was added because of transgressions until the Seed to whom the promise referred had come. The law was given through angels and entrusted to a mediator.

Gibs, is there just as much peril in requiring too much to be saved as some have????

Last edited by bob_2 (01-29-12 1:17 am)

#5 01-29-12 12:05 pm

Gibs

Bob_2,

You ask,  "Gibs, is there just as much peril in requiring too much to be saved as some have????"

Certainly.    Adding to it as the Jews had done and made it unrighteous and not of God but of their concoction which was a peril to them and all else.

We are not under the law as long as it is in our hearts, but as soon as we push it out and break it then the law revives and it condemns us to again repent that we come back under grace again.

Ro 7:7 ¶ What shall we say then? Is the law sin? God forbid. Nay, I had not known sin, but by the law: for I had not known lust, except the law had said, Thou shalt not covet.
Ro 7:8 But sin, taking occasion by the commandment, wrought in me all manner of concupiscence. For without the law sin was dead.
Ro 7:9 For I was alive without the law once: but when the commandment came, sin revived, and I died.
Ro 7:10 And the commandment, which was ordained to life, I found to be unto death.
Ro 7:11 For sin, taking occasion by the commandment, deceived me, and by it slew me.
Ro 7:12 Wherefore the law is holy, and the commandment holy, and just, and good.
Ro 7:13 Was then that which is good made death unto me? God forbid. But sin, that it might appear sin, working death in me by that which is good; that sin by the commandment might become exceeding sinful.
Ro 7:14 ¶ For we know that the law is spiritual: but I am carnal, sold under sin.
Ro 3:31 Do we then make void the law through faith? God forbid: yea, we establish the law.

The law ever lives to condemn us when we fall from grace and His indwelling, Christ in us and then to turn back, backslide into the old wallow it is there again to "schoolmaster" one hopefully back again in Him.

He was our example when here on earth, He took no power to overcome the world and the devils but what He will give to us that we can and must walk as He walked.  That must be our possible desire and He helps all to find how it is.  It is our meditation and victory walk and it is sweet to walk with Him in victory.

1Jo 4:4 ¶ Ye are of God, little children, and have overcome them: because greater is he that is in you, than he that is in the world.

Last edited by Gibs (01-29-12 12:08 pm)

#6 01-29-12 2:28 pm

bob_2

Gibs, how about a conversation responding to the verses I have put out there after much study. Why do you ignore them? Do they not fit your long held beliefs? I say nothing more than the Word does. Are you aware there was Covenantal change at the cross with Christ Law the new behavior standard. Yes, some of the 10 are their but the 10 being at the center of the Old Covenant is obsolete. The New Covenant has most of the same tenets, but the New Covenant must be looked at freshly, and its tenets speak for themselves.

#7 01-30-12 2:39 pm

Gibs

The main difference in the old covenant and the new is the new is not on the shadow of things to come but on the True Lamb of God and the One Blood only that can atone for sin.

Heb 8:6 ¶ But now hath he obtained a more excellent ministry, by how much also he is the mediator of a better covenant, which was established upon better promises.
Heb 8:7 For if that first covenant had been faultless, then should no place have been sought for the second.

The second is faultless as it is the Blood of the True Lamb of God.

Heb 8:8 For finding fault with them, he saith, Behold, the days come, saith the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah:
Heb 9:15 ¶ And for this cause he is the mediator of the new testament, that by means of death, for the redemption of the transgressions that were under the first testament, they which are called might receive the promise of eternal inheritance.
Heb 9:16 For where a testament is, there must also of necessity be the death of the testator.
Heb 9:17 For a testament is of force after men are dead: otherwise it is of no strength at all while the testator liveth.
Heb 9:18 Whereupon neither the first testament was dedicated without blood.
Heb 9:19 For when Moses had spoken every precept to all the people according to the law, he took the blood of calves and of goats, with water, and scarlet wool, and hyssop, and sprinkled both the book, and all the people,
Heb 9:20 Saying, This is the blood of the testament which God hath enjoined unto you.
Heb 9:21 Moreover he sprinkled with blood both the tabernacle, and all the vessels of the ministry.
Heb 9:22 And almost all things are by the law purged with blood; and without shedding of blood is no remission.
Heb 9:23 ¶ It was therefore necessary that the patterns of things in the heavens should be purified with these; but the heavenly things themselves with better sacrifices than these.
Heb 10:3 But in those sacrifices there is a remembrance again made of sins every year.

It was done every year to point to the True,

Heb 10:4 For it is not possible that the blood of bulls and of goats should take away sins.

The new covenant didn't anul the law in no way shape or form, after the next verse, Jesus' own Words on that.

Ac 20:28 Take heed therefore unto yourselves, and to all the flock, over the which the Holy Ghost hath made you overseers, to feed the church of God, which he hath purchased with his own blood.

And notice the dire warning He gives, I will underline,

Mt 5:17 ¶ Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.
Mt 5:18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.
Mt 5:19 Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven

To break one, one may as well break all and which one is least?

#8 01-30-12 2:49 pm

Gibs

bob_2 wrote:

Gibs, how about a conversation responding to the verses I have put out there after much study. Why do you ignore them? Do they not fit your long held beliefs? I say nothing more than the Word does. Are you aware there was Covenantal change at the cross with Christ Law the new behavior standard. Yes, some of the 10 are their but the 10 being at the center of the Old Covenant is obsolete. The New Covenant has most of the same tenets, but the New Covenant must be looked at freshly, and its tenets speak for themselves.

Bob,

The New Covenant did not change what is still written on the tables in the Heavenly which He puts on display here,

Re 11:19 And the temple of God was opened in heaven, and there was seen in his temple the ark of his testament: and there were lightnings, and voices, and thunderings, and an earthquake, and great hail.

The ones written by the finger of God and given to Moses was a copy of what resides here and will for eternity.  He changeth not.

#9 01-30-12 3:03 pm

bob_2

Gibs you ignore the fact that the 1st Covenant, Sinai, was made with the Jews that were saved from Egypt, and could not be the Law from heaven since man's creation is referred to, not the rest of the universe, angels, Lucifer or God/Jesus. God has made a new covenant with new and better promises. With Christ's Law as our guide. Col 2:16,17 shows change and fulfillment(completion). God changes if conditional promises are broken as with the Jews, and now allows Gentiles adopted into Abraham's Promise, salvation.

#10 02-01-12 12:54 pm

Gibs

Bob,

Neither covenant saved anyone in sin.  The law of Jesus Christ is the original 10 commandments and men may try but it remanins to be true.  Both covenants stood and still stand on that law.  Unchanging as He is and Eternal as He is.  Nothing else can be sold to me, I'm not buying ever.

Men have made the new covenant out to be saved in sin, extreme liberalism.  Under the old men went to extreme legalism and added to the law until none realized all of it, all could be found guilty on something all the time.  Both are a soul loosing proposition.

The new and better promises are not saved in sin as that would turn out to pollute the coming Kingdom of Jesus Christ and He won't have any in that haven't embedded in their hearts and souls to walk free of committing sin.  He Gives to each the power to be victorious, Col 1:27 To whom God would make known what is the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles; which is Christ in you, the hope of glory:

#11 02-01-12 3:09 pm

bob_2

Gibs, at some point you have to deal with this:

Hebrews 8:13 By calling this covenant “new,” he has made the first one obsolete; and what is obsolete and outdated will soon disappear.

Board footer