Adventists for Tomorrow

Our mission is to provide a free and open medium that will assist individuals in forming accurate, balanced, and thoughtful opinions regarding issues within and without the church.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Due to a large increase in spam, I have frozen forum registration. If you are new to the site and want to register, e-mail me personally at vandolson@gmail.com. Thank you.

#1 06-17-09 5:24 pm

cadge

Fruit Therapy and Heart Attack info

Eating Fruit---and news about the heart.       <BR> <BR>EATING FRUIT  <BR>                <BR>We all think eating fruits means just buying <BR>fruits, cutting it and just popping it into our mouths.. <BR>It&#39;s not as easy as you think. It&#39;s important to know how and <BR>when to eat..  <BR>                    <BR>What is the correct way of eating fruits?  <BR>                    <BR>IT MEANS NOT EATING FRUITS AFTER YOUR MEALS! <BR>FRUITS SHOULD BE EATEN ON AN EMPTY STOMACH.  <BR>                    <BR>If you eat fruit like that, it will play a major role to detoxify  <BR>your system, supplying you with a great deal of energy for  <BR>weight loss and other life activities.  <BR>                    <BR>FRUIT IS THE MOST IMPORTANT FOOD.  <BR> <BR>Let&#39;s say you eat two slices of bread and then <BR>a slice of fruit. The slice of fruit is ready to go straight <BR>through the stomach into the intestines, but it is prevented <BR>from doing so.  <BR>                     <BR>In the meantime the whole meal rots and <BR>ferments and turns to acid.. The minute the fruit comes into <BR>contact with the food in  the stomach and digestive juices, the <BR>entire mass of food begins to spoil.  <BR>                     <BR>So please eat your fruits on an empty stomach or before your  <BR>meals! You  have heard people complaining - every <BR>time I eat water-melon, I burp, when I eat durian my stomach bloats <BR>up, when I eat a  banana I feel like running to the toilet <BR>etc - actually all  this will not arise if you eat the fruit <BR>on an empty stomach. The fruit mixes with the putrefying other <BR>food and produces gas and hence you will bloat! <BR>           <BR>Graying  hair, balding, nervous outburst, and dark <BR>circles under the  eyes all  these will not happen if you take fruits <BR>on an empty stomach.  <BR>                     <BR>There  is no such thing as some fruits, like <BR>orange and lemon are acidic, because all fruits become <BR>alkaline in our body,  according to Dr. Herbert Shelton who did <BR>research on this matter. If you have mastered the correct <BR>way of eating fruits,  you have the Secret of beauty, longevity, <BR>health, energy, happiness and normal weight.  <BR>                     <BR>When you need to drink fruit juice - drink only fresh fruit juice,  <BR>NOT from the cans. Don&#39;t even drink juice that has been heated  <BR>up. Don&#39;t eat cooked fruits because you don&#39;t get the  <BR>nutrients at all. You only get to taste. <BR>Cooking destroys all the vitamins.  <BR> <BR>But  eating a whole fruit is better than <BR>drinking the juice. If you  should drink the juice, drink it mouthful <BR>by mouthful slowly,  because you must let it mix with your <BR>saliva before swallowing  it.  You can go on a 3-day fruit  <BR>fast to cleanse your body. Just eat fruits and drink fruit juice <BR>throughout the 3 days and you  will be surprised when your friends tell <BR>you how radiant you   look!  <BR>                    <BR>KIWI: Tiny but mighty. This is a good source of <BR>potassium, magnesium,  vitamin E & <BR>fiber. Its vitamin C content is twice <BR>that of an  orange.  <BR>                     <BR>APPLE: An apple a day keeps the doctor away? <BR>Although an apple has a low vitamin C content, it has antioxidants <BR>& flavonoids which enhances the activity of vitamin C <BR>thereby helping to lower the risks of colon cancer, heart attack <BR>&  stroke.  <BR>                     <BR>STRAWBERRY:  Protective Fruit. Strawberries have the <BR>highest total antioxidant power among major fruits <BR>& protect the body from cancer-causing, blood <BR>vessel-clogging free radicals.  <BR>                     <BR>ORANGE <BR> <BR>Sweetest medicine. Taking 2-4 oranges a day may help keep  <BR>colds away, lower cholesterol, prevent & dissolve kidney stones  <BR>as well as lessens the risk of colon  cancer.  <BR>                     <BR>WATERMELON: Coolest thirst quencher. Composed of 92% <BR>water, it is also packed with a giant dose of glutathione, <BR>which helps boost our  immune system. They are also a key source <BR>of lycopene - the cancer fighting oxidant. Other nutrients <BR>found in watermelon are vitamin C & Potassium. <BR>  <BR>                     <BR>GUAVA & PAPAYA: Top  awards for vitamin C. They are the clear <BR>winners for their high vitamin C content. Guava <BR>is also rich in fiber, which helps prevent constipation.  <BR>Papaya is rich in carotene; this is good for <BR>your eyes.  <BR>                    <BR>Drinking Cold water after a meal can cause Cancer! Can u believe <BR>this?? For  those who like to drink cold water, this article is applicable  <BR>to you. It is nice to have a cup of cold drink after a meal.  <BR>However, the cold water will solidify the oily stuff that you  <BR>have just consumed. It will slow down the digestion. Once this  <BR>&#39;sludge&#39; reacts with the acid, it will break down and be  <BR>absorbed by the intestine faster than the solid food. It will   <BR>line the intestine. Very soon, this will turn into fats and  <BR>ead to cancer. It is best to drink hot <BR>soup or warm water after a meal.   <BR>                     <BR>A serious note about heart attacks. <BR> <BR>HEART ATTACK PROCEDURE&#39;: &#40;THIS IS NOT A JOKE!&#41;  <BR>Women should know that not every heart attack symptom is  <BR>going to be  the left arm hurting. Be aware of intense <BR>pain in the jaw line. You may never have the first chest <BR>pain during the  course of a heart attack . Nausea and <BR>intense sweating are also common symptoms. Sixty percent of <BR>people who have a heart attack while they are asleep do not wake <BR>up. Pain in the jaw can wake you from a sound sleep. <BR>Let&#39;s be careful and be aware. The more we know the better chance <BR>we could survive...  <BR>                   <BR>                  <BR>A cardiologist says if everyone who gets <BR>this mail sends it to 10 people, you can be sure that we&#39;ll <BR>save at least one life.  <BR>Read this...It could save your life!!  <BR>                     <BR>Let&#39;s say it&#39;s 6.15 pm and you&#39;re <BR>driving home. Suddenly you start  <BR>experiencing severe pain in your chestthat starts to radiate <BR>out into your arm and up into your jaw. <BR>You are only about  five miles from the hospital nearest your <BR>home. Unfortunately you don&#39;t know if you&#39;ll be able <BR>to make it that far. You have  been trained in CPR, but the guy that <BR>taught the course did not tell you how to perform it on yourself.  <BR> <BR>&#39;HOW TO SURVIVE A HEART ATTACK WHEN ALONE&#39;:  <BR>                     <BR>Since many people are alone when they suffer a <BR>heart attack, without help, the person  <BR>whose heart is beating improperly and who <BR>begins to feel faint, has only about 10 seconds left before losing  <BR>consciousness.  <BR>                     <BR>However, these victims can help themselves by <BR>coughing repeatedly and vigorously. A deep breath should be taken <BR>before each cough, deep and prolonged, as when producing <BR>sputum from deep inside  the chest.  <BR> <BR>A  breath and a cough must be repeated about <BR>every two seconds  without let-up until help arrives, or <BR>until the heart is felt  to be beating normally <BR>again.  <BR>                    <BR>Deep  breaths get oxygen into the lungs and <BR>coughing movements  squeeze the heart and keep the blood <BR>circulating. The squeezing pressure on the heart also <BR>helps it regain normal rhythm. This allows the heart attack <BR>victim to get to a hospital.  <BR>                     <BR>Tell as many people as possible about this. It <BR>could save their lives!!  <BR>                  <BR>  <BR>Cheryl Riley  <BR>Administrative Assistant II  <BR>Office of News and Information  <BR>The University of Texas at Tyler  <BR>3900 University Blvd  <BR>Tyler,TX 75799  <BR>         <BR>Joe  Collins  <BR>         <BR>The difference  <BR>in knowing how something should be done  and <BR>being able to do it is the Quantum Leap in Learning. <BR>   --Madeline  Hunter

#2 06-17-09 7:31 pm

elaine

Re: Fruit Therapy and Heart Attack info

<b><font color="0000ff">Graying hair, balding, nervous outburst, and dark  <BR>circles under the eyes all these will not happen if you take fruits  <BR>on an empty stomach. </font></b> <BR> <BR>So, that&#39;s the reason for baldness and dark circles under the eyes?    <BR> <BR>}<b>Drinking Cold water after a meal can cause Cancer! </b>} <BR> <BR>Surely, you jest!  Where is the scientific evidence for such B.S.?   <BR> <BR>While some of the information is correct, it is mixed with very erroneous information.  For those of us who have medical advice and the internet to confirm, this is mostly hooey!

#3 06-17-09 7:35 pm

elaine

<b><font color="0000ff">Don&#39;t eat cooked fruits because you don&#39;t get the  <BR>nutrients at all. You only get to taste.  <BR>Cooking destroys all the vitamins.</font></b> <BR> <BR>This is utterly and absolutely false!!  Do you eat your potatoes, beets, okra and green beans raw?  Yes, there are many veggies that can be eaten raw, but for some, cooking greately induces more rapid digestion and better metabolism. <BR> <BR>Nor does cooking destroy all the vitamin content.  Again, this is false1

#4 06-17-09 7:53 pm

cadge

Thanks Elaine. <BR> <BR>I always appreciate a reply from you&#40;seriously&#41;. Would you care to give your opinion on the heart attack portion? <BR> <BR>Cadge

#5 06-17-09 9:22 pm

don

<b><font color="0000ff">Nor does cooking destroy all the vitamin content.</font></b> <BR> <BR>Doesn&#39;t it depend on which vitamin? Vitamin C is more vulnerable than others?  <BR> <BR>I have heard that carrots release more of their vitamin A if they are cooked. ? <BR> <BR>Aren&#39;t some vitamins oil-based and others water soluble? <BR> <BR><font color="ffffff"><font size="-2">.</font></font>

#6 06-17-09 9:32 pm

elaine

From Scientific America: <BR>Do vegetables lose their nutritional value when heated? <BR>By Sushma Subramanian  <BR> <BR>The Raw Truth: Should we be grazing on uncooked fruits and veggies?  <BR>Cooking is crucial to our diets. It helps us digest food without expending huge amounts of energy. It softens food, such as cellulose fiber and raw meat, that our small teeth, weak jaws and digestive systems aren&#39;t equipped to handle. And while we might hear from raw foodists that cooking kills vitamins and minerals in food &#40;while also denaturing enzymes that aid digestion&#41;, it turns out raw vegetables are not always healthier. <BR> <BR>A study published in The British Journal of Nutrition last year found that a group of 198 subjects who followed a strict raw food diet had normal levels of vitamin A and relatively high levels of beta-carotene &#40;an antioxidant found in dark green and yellow fruits and vegetables&#41;, but low levels of the antioxidant lycopene. <BR> <BR>Lycopene is a red pigment found predominantly in tomatoes and other rosy fruits such as watermelon, pink guava, red bell pepper and papaya. Several studies conducted in recent years &#40;at Harvard Medical School, among others&#41; have linked high intake of lycopene with a lower risk of cancer and heart attacks. Rui Hai Liu, an associate professor of food science at Cornell University who has researched lycopene, says that it may be an even more potent antioxidant than vitamin C.  <BR> <BR>One 2002 study he did &#40;published in the Journal of Agriculture and Food Chemistry&#41; found that cooking actually boosts the amount of lycopene in tomatoes. He tells ScientificAmerican.com that the level of one type of lycopene, cis-lycopene, in tomatoes rose 35 percent after he cooked them for 30 minutes at 190.4 degrees Fahrenheit &#40;88 degrees Celsius&#41;. The reason, he says: the heat breaks down the plants&#39; thick cell walls and aids the body&#39;s uptake of some nutrients that are bound to those cell walls.  <BR> <BR>Cooked carrots, spinach, mushrooms, asparagus, cabbage, peppers and many other vegetables also supply more antioxidants, such as carotenoids and ferulic acid, to the body than they do when raw, Liu says. At least, that is, if they&#39;re boiled or steamed. A January 2008 report in the Journal of Agriculture and Food Chemistry said that boiling and steaming better preserves antioxidants, particularly carotenoid, in carrots, zucchini and broccoli, than frying, though boiling was deemed the best. The researchers studied the impact of the various cooking techniques on compounds such as carotenoids, ascorbic acid and polyphenols. <BR> <BR>Deep fried foods are notorious sources of free radicals, caused by oil being continuously oxidized when it is heated at high temperatures. These radicals, which are highly reactive because they have at least one unpaired electron, can injure cells in the body. The antioxidants in the oil and the vegetables get used up during frying in stabilizing the cycle of oxidation. <BR> <BR>Another study published in the Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry in 2002 showed that cooking carrots increases their level of beta-carotene. Beta-carotene belongs to a group of antioxidant substances called carotenoids, which give fruits and vegetables their red, yellow, and orange colorings. The body converts beta-carotene into vitamin A, which plays an important role in vision, reproduction, bone growth and regulating the immune system.  <BR> <BR>The downside of cooking veggies, Liu says: it can destroy the vitamin C in them. He found that vitamin C levels declined by 10 percent in tomatoes cooked for two minutes—and 29 percent in tomatoes that were cooked for half an hour at 190.4 degrees F &#40;88 degrees C&#41;. The reason is that Vitamin C, which is highly unstable, is easily degraded through oxidation, exposure to heat &#40;it can increase the rate at which vitamin C reacts with oxygen in the air&#41; and through cooking in water &#40;it dissolves in water&#41;.  <BR> <BR>Liu notes, however, that the trade-off may be worth it since vitamin C is prevalent in far more fruits and vegetables than is lycopene. Among them: broccoli, oranges, cauliflower, kale and carrots. Besides, cooked vegetables retain some of their vitamin C content.  <BR> <BR> <BR>One of the best foods is ww. pasta with marinara sauce. The tomato-based sauce with onions, bell peppers and olive oil is very healthful--cooked tomatoes have more lycopene than raw.

#7 06-17-09 9:39 pm

elaine

About a heart attack, it sounded like good advice.  Women, also, do not often have the same signs and symptoms as do men.  Few know that the main cause of death in women is heart disease.  Although it is diagnosed when they are a little older than their male counterparts, it is often more deadly.  Partially, because it does not have the same symptoms. <BR> <BR>Some are:  extreme tiredness and fatigue, and unexplained discomfort.  That is why it is so important that we know our bodies and are aware when things are just &#34;not right.&#34;  Also, that we need an advocate  for us when seeing a doctor and especially when hospitalized.  Someone who can advocate for us and alert the nursing staff on any problems.  My daughter, who is a nurse practitioner, was my advocate in two recent joint replacements and was able to discover an infection before the nursing staff and made sure that I was given antibiotics.  She was with me 24/7 for 3 days in hospital.  A very welcome partner in my medical care.

#8 12-06-10 7:30 pm

elaine

Having had several recent episodes of what appeared to be unstable angina, I was told by my doc to go to ER.  All tests were negative after an overnight stay.  There are so many symptoms of possible heart attack that the advice is common sense:  If you have pains or symptoms not experienced before, and accompanied by vomiting, sweating, as well as pain, call your doc for advice.   It's much better to be safe than sorry.

#9 12-07-10 12:52 am

bob_2

If I can add my two cents worth, being a Diabetic, I pay attention to my body signals, and had light headness and dioperesising (sp) and I asked my Assistant Dir of Nursing to take my vitals. One deparment head who had been through this gave me an aspirin  before the EMTs took me to the hospital. They did a heart cath the next day and the need for 3 stents was noted.

About a half dozen years later, again I paid attention to some abdominal aches when I exercised, and another heart cath showed need for quadruple by pass surgery, done last Thanksgiving. Thank God for modern technology and a great surgeon and my own instincts about my body. BTW, I never had a heart attack, amazing, eh???

#10 12-07-10 1:53 pm

elaine

Just playing the Devil's Advocate, but my late husband had a heart attack in '84, with quadruple bypass surgery.  Exactly ten years later the stress test indicated he needed another bypass.  He well knew that it would take many hours just cutting through the adhesions from the first surgery, and was reluctant to undergo such a long (12-hour) anesthesia. 

Recovery was uncertain for several days.  Retrospectively, the second surgery was entirely unnecessary (as a pathologist he was quite familiar with the evidence), and gradually developed CHF, leading to death another 10 years to the month:  First MI--4/84; 2nd surgery 4/94, death 4/2004.  But the extra 20 years were certainly worth.

More than 25 years ago I was told the need for angiogram.  The new projected cardiac suite for the hospital was in its fundraising, so I helped to pay for it!  Lots of surgeries are not all absolutely necessary and should be carefully questioned, IMHO.

#11 11-30-11 2:12 am

Alexbit

I thinks its great read about the Fruit Therapy and Heart Attack information,.
Its useful one for the many others persons also ,.

Board footer