Adventists for Tomorrow

Our mission is to provide a free and open medium that will assist individuals in forming accurate, balanced, and thoughtful opinions regarding issues within and without the church.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Due to a large increase in spam, I have frozen forum registration. If you are new to the site and want to register, e-mail me personally at vandolson@gmail.com. Thank you.

#1 07-03-11 3:38 am

bob_2

Hebrew 11, A Day or Rest for the Soul

Hebrews 4
A Sabbath-Rest for the People of God
1 Therefore, since the promise of entering his rest still stands, let us be careful that none of you be found to have fallen short of it. 2 For we also have had the good news proclaimed to us, just as they did; but the message they heard was of no value to them, because they did not share the faith of those who obeyed. 3 Now we who have believed enter that rest, just as God has said,
   “So I declared on oath in my anger,
   ‘They shall never enter my rest.’”

And yet his works have been finished since the creation of the world. 4 For somewhere he has spoken about the seventh day in these words: “On the seventh day God rested from all his works.”[c] 5 And again in the passage above he says, “They shall never enter my rest.”

6 Therefore since it still remains for some to enter that rest, and since those who formerly had the good news proclaimed to them did not go in because of their disobedience, 7 God again set a certain day, calling it “Today.” This he did when a long time later he spoke through David, as in the passage already quoted:

“Today, if you hear his voice,
   do not harden your hearts.”[d]

8 For if Joshua had given them rest, God would not have spoken later about another day. 9 There remains, then, a Sabbath-rest for the people of God; 10 for anyone who enters God’s rest also rests from their works,[e] just as God did from his. 11 Let us, therefore, make every effort to enter that rest, so that no one will perish by following their example of disobedience.

The Rest of God/Jesus of Creation is one of ceasing creation work, sanctified or set apart to be used  for a specific people whom God decided to use with shadows and symbols to point to His Son Jesus and His fantastic plan to say all men willing in the OT as Abraham, who had faith in the coming of a Savior will be saved. Once the Savior came He no longer needed the shadows, that are fulfilled in His Flesh. A New Covenant with better promises.

Hebrews 8:6 But in fact the ministry Jesus has received is as superior to theirs as the covenant of which he is mediator is superior to the old one, since the new covenant is established on better promises.

#2 07-06-11 4:53 pm

bob_2

Re: Hebrew 11, A Day or Rest for the Soul

Tom. as you can see,  does not have many places to go to support his  Reformed Sabbath. In fact when asked for support, he quotes himself, without scholarship behind it. He quotes scripture that is judgemental but he takes it out of the context of the text and would lead you to believe he is talking about the subject at hand.

It is obvious to me and scholars that I have presented that the REST in Hebrew 11 is talking about Rest for the Soul of a believer that has come to Jesus Christ. I have a hard time with individuals that say you don't have to keep the Sabbath to be saved, then can not explain why the very name of their church has SEVENTH DAY in it. Is it Salvific or not? If you do not KEEP IT will you be lost, in HELL?

Last edited by bob_2 (07-06-11 4:56 pm)

Board footer