Adventists for Tomorrow

Our mission is to provide a free and open medium that will assist individuals in forming accurate, balanced, and thoughtful opinions regarding issues within and without the church.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Due to a large increase in spam, I have frozen forum registration. If you are new to the site and want to register, e-mail me personally at vandolson@gmail.com. Thank you.

#1 05-09-11 1:00 am

bob_2

Romans 13:6 - The State, can it lawfully kill individuals like Osama

I have a question about this passage in light of the assination of Osama Bin Laden:

Romans 13:3 For rulers hold no terror for those who do right, but for those who do wrong. Do you want to be free from fear of the one in authority? Then do what is right and you will be commended. 4 For the one in authority is God’s servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for rulers do not bear the sword for no reason. They are God’s servants, agents of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer. 5 Therefore, it is necessary to submit to the authorities, not only because of possible punishment but also as a matter of conscience.
6 This is also why you pay taxes, for the authorities are God’s servants, who give their full time to governing. 7 Give to everyone what you owe them: If you owe taxes, pay taxes; if revenue, then revenue; if respect, then respect; if honor, then honor.

Should we celebrate Osama' s death given this passage or take a pacificist attitude even when he killed 1000s of Americas with no judicial process?

#2 05-11-11 9:03 am

Yitzak

Re: Romans 13:6 - The State, can it lawfully kill individuals like Osama

Celebrating and decrying his death are not the only options, I think. I am satisfied, but not glad that he is dead, sorry his death was necessary. But I can certainly understand Christians who don't believe in killing under any circumstance, and those who are overjoyed about it, kind of give me the willies.

#3 05-12-11 8:46 am

Old Abe

Re: Romans 13:6 - The State, can it lawfully kill individuals like Osama

The state can kill certain persons provided it acts within the process of law. However in this case the USA acted illegally in that it invaded the soverignity of Pakistan and committed murder of an individual without due process.

When the Jews took Eichman in Argentina years ago they brought him back alive tried him in open court and hanged him when he was convicted. The USA could have done the same here.

The irony is that in his death Osama proved that the US government is as much a terrorist organization  as is Al Quida in that they act outside the bounds of international law.

But that is the way the USA has always been given the historic treatment of native Americans, the annexation of Mexico, the invasion of Canada, the bombing of Japan after that nation was clearly defeated.

Osama was an accused terrorist not a convicted one and he was unarmed when shot by the USA.
That my friend is murder in anyones books.

Beyond that when we reach the place where the end justifies the means we are on shaky ground indeed.

Board footer