Adventists for Tomorrow

Our mission is to provide a free and open medium that will assist individuals in forming accurate, balanced, and thoughtful opinions regarding issues within and without the church.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Due to a large increase in spam, I have frozen forum registration. If you are new to the site and want to register, e-mail me personally at vandolson@gmail.com. Thank you.

#1 01-22-10 8:48 pm

bob_2

The Top 10 Old Testament Dinner Guests

A few weeks back on the Facebook Fan page for BibleGateway.com we asked the question, “If you were given the chance to have dinner with someone from the Old Testament who would you choose and why?” As of this writing, 1,278 people have commented with answers ranging from insightful to downright hilarious.

We tabulated the responses from the first 1,000 or so comments and devised a sort of “Top 20 Old Testament Characters” dinner guest list. We’ve posted the first 10 below. You’ll have to head over to the fan page to see the rest.

Here are the the top 10 responses:

1. God (279 responses)
2. David (158 responses)
3. Eve (126 responses)
4. Moses (80 responses)
5. Job (66 responses)
6. Abraham (62 responses)
7. Esther (55 responses)
8. Joseph (50 responses)
9. Daniel (49 responses)
10. Ruth (46 responses)

Read the top 20 over at the Facebook fan page for BibleGateway.com!

http://www.biblegateway.com/blog/?p=153

I bet John Alfke was one of those 279 that voted for God as a dinner guest, eh? Wonder what God does with the "dyed in the wool" skeptic? Answer his questions???

#2 01-12-11 1:12 pm

MelanieIX
Website

Re: The Top 10 Old Testament Dinner Guests

Yes, really. And I have faced it.
Anything similar.
Matchless theme....

#3 01-12-11 3:15 pm

bob_2

Interesting MelanieIX that no one said Jesus or the Holy Spirit. At least not in the top ten.

#4 01-12-11 8:06 pm

tom_norris
Adventist Reform
Website

Why is it interesting that no one selected Jesus?

The question was “If you were given the chance to have dinner with someone from the Old Testament who would you choose and why?”

Jesus is NOT FROM THE OT.  He is a New Covenant person. 

This is why no one selected Jesus.

#5 01-12-11 9:59 pm

cadge

He was there:

Corinthians 10: 1-4

1Moreover, brethren, I would not that ye should be ignorant, how that all our fathers were under the cloud, and all passed through the sea;

2And were all baptized unto Moses in the cloud and in the sea;

3And did all eat the same spiritual meat;

4And did all drink the same spiritual drink: for they drank of that spiritual Rock that followed them: and that Rock was Christ.

#6 01-13-11 10:02 am

tom_norris
Adventist Reform
Website

Although Jesus has existed forever in some form, he is not an OT figure.  He did not exist as a human in the OT.  Nor should anyone think of him as an OT figure.  His birth begins the New Covenant era, even as the Gospels contain the record of his founding of the church.

No one should view Jesus as being part of the Old Covenant.  This is a great error that will only make it more difficult to understand the Gospel.

#7 01-13-11 1:15 pm

cadge

Nah Tom, Hebrews 1:2 tells us that God

#8 01-13-11 1:43 pm

cadge

Nah Tom. Hebrews 1:2 tells us that "He made the worlds". I have to go along with Bob because Jesus is an OC figure for it says in this same verse that He made them, the worlds, "by His Son". Therefore, from the covering of skins given to Adam and Eve until He returns as "Lord of lords and King of kings", we are "Hid in the Rock". So, He is also a NC figure. Whether we saw Him physically or not, then or now, It's all about Jesus. Now seeing that God is Spirit and He said 'Let us make them in our image', that it was the hands of Jesus that formed Adam and Eve? And Adam was filled with God's Spirit, and when Eve was formed from Adam's rib His Spirit was passed on to her too? And when they sinned they died that day from the Spiritual connection; having effectively placed a veil between themselves and a direct connection to God? Well, I guess that's another subject, isn't it? Anyhow, Jesus will be at the dinner as the Guest of honor. You coming?

#9 01-13-11 3:08 pm

bob_2

Yes, Tom that may be, that He was not human in the OT but neither was his Father, Jesus  according to this text was there at the creation of the earth:

John 1: 1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 He was with God in the beginning. 3 Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made. 4 In him was life, and that life was the light of all mankind. 5 The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it.

John 5:17...“My Father is always at his work to this very day, and I too am working.”

Last edited by bob_2 (01-13-11 3:11 pm)

#10 01-13-11 4:50 pm

Old Abe

Who manifested Himself to Abraham amd ate at his table.Early on in the OT it seems the gods or God walked this earth bodily.

Not only in the OT but in the stories of other cultures it appears to be so. So who were these extraterrestial creatures that Abraham and others considered to be gods.

#11 01-13-11 7:21 pm

bob_2

I was taught in SDA schools that Abraham ate with angels on the way to Sodom and Gommorah, not heard that Jesus was one of them.

#12 01-14-11 12:29 am

elaine

Why should there be a surprise that the Bible is similar to many other contemporary stories?  They all gleaned from others what they wanted.  The gods in the Bible are much like the gods described in other ancient tales.

As for Abraham entertaining Jesus, that's an eisegesis often promoted by some.

#13 03-22-11 6:53 pm

hfsturges
Website

I got to reading the references to the appendix to the apocrypha and found this tidbit:

What do you think Adam said when he first saw Eve? Remember that he had never seen a woman before, and his vocabulary was limited. He just didn't have words to describe what he saw. The best information I have is that he just stood there and blubbered around saying things like "hubba hubba!"

#14 03-22-11 9:39 pm

elaine

Adam, after naming all the animals, was probably speechless!

Board footer