Adventists for Tomorrow

Our mission is to provide a free and open medium that will assist individuals in forming accurate, balanced, and thoughtful opinions regarding issues within and without the church.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Due to a large increase in spam, I have frozen forum registration. If you are new to the site and want to register, e-mail me personally at vandolson@gmail.com. Thank you.

#1 11-22-09 1:45 pm

john8verse32

Science in the Media

Here are the posts moved from ATomorrow.net >> Adventist Reform (Tom Norris) >> Ellen White. (http://www.atomorrow.net/discus/message … 1235775002)

If electricity comes from electrons, does morality come from morons?

#2 11-24-09 9:54 am

john8verse32

Re: Science in the Media

don't get the history channel?
you can watch 3 minute segments of the programs here:
http://www.history.com/video.do?name=How_the_Earth _Was_Made

the story of the Grand Canyon begins this seasons shows...tonite.

#3 11-24-09 5:23 pm

cadge

That's great John, thanks. I really appreciate that information. I was just reading up on the Marianas trench yesterday. I am very grateful for you taking your time to inform us of, and point us to, the various things pertaining to the history of this planet and it's relationship to our existence. I am also grateful to Maggie for the reference she gave on non-overlapping magisteria, NOMA, by Stephen Jay Gould.
http://www.stephenjaygould.org/library/gould_noma. html

I now conclude and acknowledge, thanks to you folks, that as the things of earth science progress, they are held as a tentative belief until more discoveries are made, and then things are adjusted to the new understandings. And that as we explore the bible, and the Spirit reveals things of the Spiritual world, that our understandings of them, likewise, have to be held tentatively and adjusted time and again, but they are two of different systems.

The eternal spiritual society is known through the bible revelations by the Holy Spirit and the earth through the sciences.They were never meant to prove one another. The bible stories are by faith and through Spiritual discernment we trust the stories as if they are real and glean the understanding that comes through a continual communion that is necessary to obtain furtherance of life beyond the scope of this one. I could not deny the presence of the Holy Spirit and eternal truths revealed, yet I also could not ignore the scientific data that kept standing in contradiction to how I held the scriptures in relationship to, or opposed to, earthly, scientific, historical discoveries. Now things make more sense to me.

Thanks again John. Maggie too! You're "good guys".

Cadge

#4 11-25-09 11:33 am

john8verse32

The eternal spiritual society is known through the bible revelations by the Holy Spirit and the earth through the sciences.They were never meant to prove one another.

but if they were both "written" by the same intelligence, shouldn't they at least agree?

#5 11-25-09 4:38 pm

elaine

The acceptance by many Christians that they were both "written" by the same intelligence  is the problem.

The Bible, just as science, is dependent on man. And man is fallible. Believing that the Bible was written by God has nothing other than an unverified faith to believe that. No where in the Bible does it claim to either written by God, or "The word of God."

The principles that one may find in the Bible should be solely based on one's individual perceptions, and never imposed on anyone else. The inability to differentiate eternal principles from mere ancient tales is a problem for many people, but should not be those who read it just as they would any ancient stories.

#6 12-01-09 5:18 am

maggie

Glad you enjoyed, Cadge!

#7 01-01-10 2:54 am

bob_2

Is this picture the result of Global warming/Climate Change or normal natural behavior of the polar bears:

http://www.greenmuze.com/animals/wild/1 … oung-.html

#8 01-01-10 10:16 am

john8verse32

more importantly, is it the result of a loving God having created creatures which were designed to kill and eat each other?

and if the answer is that God created them to eat grass, fruits, and nuts, why do they have such long teeth?

and if the answer is that the devil changed it all just 6000 yrs ago, because Eve was deceived by a talking snake.....where are the fossil bears with giant molars designed to grind grass?

#9 01-01-10 10:45 am

don

Are there such things as neurotic or psychotic polar bears? Like the rabbit that attacked Jimmy Carter?

Board footer