Adventists for Tomorrow

Our mission is to provide a free and open medium that will assist individuals in forming accurate, balanced, and thoughtful opinions regarding issues within and without the church.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Due to a large increase in spam, I have frozen forum registration. If you are new to the site and want to register, e-mail me personally at vandolson@gmail.com. Thank you.

#1 07-13-11 11:47 pm

bob_2

Did Christ Reform the Sabbath or keep it as it was meant to be kept

And finally, the fact that Jesus kept the Sabbath does not in any way prove that the Sabbath is still in effect today. The Law of Moses was in effect till Jesus' died (Col. 2:14), so Jesus was born and lived under the Law (Galatians 4:4). He kept the Sabbath for the same reasons that He kept the laws of animal sacrifice. But when He died, He removed the Old Law and instituted the gospel (Hebrews 10:9,10). The New Testament nowhere requires resting on the seventh day of the week, as did the Old Testament. For more information, please see our article on the Old Law and the Sabbath for today at our Bible Instruction web site at www.gospelway.com/instruct/.

http://gospelway.com/topics/bible/jesus_sabbath.php

Tom Norris claims that the Sabbath was Reformed when Jesus showed those that had complicated the keeping of the day. As He died the New Covenant was ushered in, without a Sabbath tenet or command, Christ is our True Rest, He fulfilled it in his own Flesh.

#2 07-14-11 2:19 pm

bob

Re: Did Christ Reform the Sabbath or keep it as it was meant to be kept

Bob, What denomination are these people?  Christ of Christ do not use instruments in their services.    I certainly do not believe instruments are an issue.  Bob

http://gospelway.com
Instruments are not just an aid to singing, but an additional, different form of praise to God. They violate the New Testament teachings about truth, spirit, and understanding in worship. Those who use them are not following God's plan but have changed His plan to satisfy their own entertainment and enjoyment.

#3 07-14-11 2:35 pm

bob_2

Bob, is everything about the RCC wrong? If you have discernment you can tell truth from error. Yes, it appears that is one of their beliefs. Does that make everything else wrong that they believe.

Bob, which church do you now attend, and are all tenets they believe 100% believeable. I have not found a perfect church yet. I did not quote this passage  to say we should all stop using instruments in worship services but because I believe that what they said on the Sabbath is correct.

EGW ate oysters, does that mean we should reject anything she says as wrong, I don't think so. The Bible as well as other sources must be read with discernment, including your and my statement about anything.

Last edited by bob_2 (07-14-11 2:41 pm)

#4 07-14-11 2:47 pm

bob_2

When it comes to NCT, a number of those that are proponents of NCT and are Calvinists, which I have found to be wrong, but what they have to say about NCT I believe is accurate. Alot of NCTers have come out of Reformed Theology (not to be confused with Tom Norris' Reformed Sabbath). Like I have said, to study, one must have a discerning mind.

This is one of the reason I still hold my membership with the SDA Church. Not all do I agree with, but I believe they can, like the WCG study ernestly and realize they have gone down the wrong "rabbit hole" on given issues.

Let me give you another example. The E Free Church in Redlands, CA,  that the Tinkers belonged to. Here is the site:    http://trinityonline.org/statement-of-faith/

Look and read at the 10th belief of theirs:

We believe that God will raise the dead bodily and judge the world, assigning the unbeliever to condemnation and eternal conscious punishment and the believer to eternal blessedness and joy with the Lord in the new heaven and the new earth, to the praise of His glorious grace.

Do you believe that one point. I think I could be a member of that church and differ with them on that without being disagreeable, don't you?

Last edited by bob_2 (07-14-11 3:05 pm)

#5 07-14-11 11:20 pm

bob

bob_2 wrote:

Bob, is everything about the RCC wrong? If you have discernment you can tell truth from error. Yes, it appears that is one of their beliefs. Does that make everything else wrong that they believe.

Bob, which church do you now attend, and are all tenets they believe 100% believeable. I have not found a perfect church yet. I did not quote this passage  to say we should all stop using instruments in worship services but because I believe that what they said on the Sabbath is correct.

EGW ate oysters, does that mean we should reject anything she says as wrong, I don't think so. The Bible as well as other sources must be read with discernment, including your and my statement about anything.

Did you answer my question?   I didn't see it, but I want to give you the benefit of the doubt.

#6 07-14-11 11:51 pm

bob_2

Bob, I believe that a church has many doctrines. If they choose to not have instruments in their services, what's the harm. The church I attend has music unlike Sligo or LLU churches. I like it over Sligo and LLU. But the question is not instruments here, you never spoke to the point being discussed, the continuation of the Sabbath 4th commandment in the New Covenant. I think they have it right on that issue. On the instruments, not so much.  roll However, Bob, I have heard "a cappella" pieces in just about every church I have attended, but that was not my issue, and I don't think it takes away from their view on the Sabbath.

Last edited by bob_2 (07-15-11 12:17 am)

#7 07-15-11 12:15 am

bob_2

Bob, you never answered my questions. Let's put your church you attend under the microscope and see if you believe in all their doctrines.

#8 07-15-11 1:55 pm

bob

bob_2 wrote:

Bob, you never answered my questions. Let's put your church you attend under the microscope and see if you believe in all their doctrines.

One more time Bob.  What church are you referring to that has answer for the Sabbath right?  The web site did not mention the denomination.  Why are you beating around the bush?  If you are referring to the church I think you are then there is a number of disappointing areas that would keep me from attending.

I do not "belong" to any denomination.  Belonging to the SDAs was enough for a lifetime.  I attend a small Methodist Church for the fellowship, the wonderful Spirit filled sermons and the Sunday School program.  I enjoy the people very much.  They are extremely non judgmental and are in love with the Savior.

#9 07-15-11 5:16 pm

bob_2

Bob, I thought you knew which church when you said Christ of Christ . It is the Church of Christ, I thought you just made a typo. Truth can be found in unusal places. You can see what they believe on their home page at http://gospelway.com  which you gave in one of your posts, or  you can remove all letters after their .com website. Sorry for the mix  up, but it looks like you knew who it was.

You might look at the Methodist Church you go to about their beliefs, for example the Sabbath:

"The reason we observe the first day instead of the seventh is based on no positive command. One will search the Scriptures in vain for authority for changing from the seventh day to the first. The early Christians began to worship on the first day of the week because Jesus rose from the dead on that day. By and by, this day of worship was made also a day of rest, a legal holiday. This took place in the year 321.

http://www.sabbathtruth.com/sabbath-his … odist.aspx

Having written back and forth with you, I didn't get the impression that you believed that, however, I am sure that lots can be learned from the Methodists.

Last edited by bob_2 (07-15-11 5:31 pm)

Board footer