Adventists for Tomorrow

Our mission is to provide a free and open medium that will assist individuals in forming accurate, balanced, and thoughtful opinions regarding issues within and without the church.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Due to a large increase in spam, I have frozen forum registration. If you are new to the site and want to register, e-mail me personally at vandolson@gmail.com. Thank you.

#1 07-07-11 4:45 pm

bob_2

God again set a certain day, calling it “Today”

When you read this text after years and years of Bible Class through our system without this ever being talked about, I found stunning. Shame on me for not independently reading the Bible as I do now, but if God has "set a certain day, calling it "Today", shouldn't each Christian be asking what "day" that is. The OC Sabbath had already been given an grown obsolete (Hebrews 8: 13). Did Jesus or His Apostles given any clues as to the "day" referred to here???

It must be related to this last verse of Hebrews 4:

Heb 4:16 Let us then approach God’s throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need.

Why would we be able  " to approach God's throne of grace with confidence"? Because Jesus forgave our sins when we accepted His death on the cross, fulfilling the REST that comes with accepting it. That is the only thing that can give us confidence, the "day" we accept that gift, until then we would be fearful to come near that throne for help in our "time of need" , right??? Notice our "time of need" could not just be on the Sabbath, Saturday or Sunday  or  other day, since our need for Him can come at anytime, and usually does on a daily basis.!!!!

Read the last paragraph of Hebrews 4:

Heb 4:14 Therefore, since we have a great high priest who has ascended into heaven, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold firmly to the faith we profess. 15 For we do not have a high priest who is unable to empathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who has been tempted in every way, just as we are—yet he did not sin. 16 Let us then approach God’s throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need.

What makes the difference in being able to approach God's throne, "the day" we accept Christ our rest from worrying about our sin that would destroy us if we had not accepted Him on "that day", and continue each "DAY" accepting Christ as the answer to ridding us of sin. The ultimate REST.

This last paragraph is the Gospel plain and simple. To transfer it's meaning to a mere calander day, seems so trite, compared to the ominious beauty of the reality!!!!

Last edited by bob_2 (07-07-11 11:14 pm)

#2 07-07-11 5:28 pm

bob_2

Re: God again set a certain day, calling it “Today”

Go back a chapter to Hebrews 3:

Hebrews 3: 16Who were they who heard and rebelled? Were they not all those Moses led out of Egypt? 17And with whom was he angry for forty years? Was it not with those who sinned, whose bodies fell in the desert? 18And to whom did God swear that they would never enter his rest if not to those who disobeyed? 19So we see that they were not able to enter, because of their unbelief.

Their unbelief in who or what! This analogy speaks of their unbelief in Moses words as given to him by God/Jesus. So the analogy as presented in the New Covenant are those that reject the Messiah/Jesus that enables one to come before the throne of God!!!!

Board footer