Adventists for Tomorrow

Our mission is to provide a free and open medium that will assist individuals in forming accurate, balanced, and thoughtful opinions regarding issues within and without the church.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Due to a large increase in spam, I have frozen forum registration. If you are new to the site and want to register, e-mail me personally at vandolson@gmail.com. Thank you.

#1 06-20-11 9:05 am

cadge

Doctor Sir Patrick Linton Allen Jamaican Governor-General

I was reading about the installation of Dr. Allen, SDA, on the Adventist World site. It was the cover story entitled New Man at Jamaica's Helm, and was written by a Mark A Kellner. The following statement was made in reference to Dr. Allen's elevation, who, by the way, also was be-knighted by the Queen of England.

"Ellen G. White, a pioneering founder of the Seventh-day Adventist movement, spoke of a time when Adventists would occupy high public office, and now Allen is one of these."

http://www.adventistworld.org/article.php?id=579

I do not remember having ever read such a statement by Ellen White. Does anybody else recall having heard or read it, and where it may be found?

Cadge

#2 06-20-11 11:47 am

hfsturges
Website

Re: Doctor Sir Patrick Linton Allen Jamaican Governor-General

Cadge.

I looked on my CD-ROM and found this:

Ellen White wrote:

“And many a lad of today, growing up as did Daniel in his Judean home, studying God's word and His works, and learning the lessons of faithful service, will yet stand in legislative assemblies, in halls of justice, or in royal courts as a witness for the King of kings.”  The Adventist Home, 485

#3 06-20-11 4:07 pm

bob_2

Hey, guys, who was Nancy Pelosi's sitting partner at the last State of the Union?:

It was SDA Roscoe Bartlett from Maryland. I use to go to his Sabbath School class when I was living in Maryland.

http://articles.herald-mail.com/2011-01 … e-bartlett

#4 06-21-11 10:14 pm

cadge

Thanks Doc for the effort and expense of time on my behalf.

As I read the comment you quoted from Adventist Home, I felt that the implication was that we would stand before  legislative assemblies, in halls of justice, or in royal courts as a witness for the King of kings” at some time, but not as members of such judicial or political systems.

Cadge

#5 06-22-11 8:03 am

bob

“And many a lad of today, growing up as did Daniel in his Judean home, studying God's word and His works, and learning the lessons of faithful service, will yet stand in legislative assemblies, in halls of justice, or in royal courts as a witness for the King of kings.”

To me these words are merely generic.  Anyone could have written them and at some point it would come true. 

There are "lads" and gals growing up in Methodist, Baptist, Presbyterian, etc  homes studying God's word ..., will yet stand in legislative assemblies, in halls of justice, or in royal courts as a witness for the King of kings.” 

There, I have written something profound.  I am sure to get a following with that statement.

#6 06-22-11 3:54 pm

hfsturges
Website

Cadge and Bob,

There is truth in both of your posts.  I suspect that most convicted Christians would not do well in politics.  Christians are not known for compromising;  and politicians by definition HAVE to compromise, sometimes even compromise in supporting what is good for the people.

But as it was with Joseph and Daniel, they were appointed to high position because of their wisdom and their faithfulness.  Pharaoh and Nebuchadnezzar recognized and valued these qualities and promoted the God fearing men for that reason.  Young people in other churches will share the same blessings.

#7 06-23-11 1:11 pm

cadge

Doc, I need to point out that in Dr. Allen's situation, he was not in a captive situation such as Daniel or Joseph, so the circumstances are not similar.

Now I am, however,  going to venture a guess on your behalf. I'm thinking that you may believe that during the time of trouble, where the supposed "Sundays laws" are enforced, and "God's true believers" (Sabbath keepers) are being both taken captive, persecuted and martyred, that God will have these special emissaries, of the SDA Sabbath keeping truth, appointed in positions of high authority in the new one world order government prior to the appearing of the Lord Jesus; Yes?

Cadge

Board footer