Adventists for Tomorrow

Our mission is to provide a free and open medium that will assist individuals in forming accurate, balanced, and thoughtful opinions regarding issues within and without the church.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Due to a large increase in spam, I have frozen forum registration. If you are new to the site and want to register, e-mail me personally at vandolson@gmail.com. Thank you.

#1 02-25-11 2:11 am

bob_2

What is the definition and importance of GRACE

GRACE define:

Definition of GRACE

1a : unmerited divine assistance given humans for their regeneration or sanctification
b : a virtue coming from God
c : a state of sanctification enjoyed through divine grace

2a : approval, favor <stayed in his good graces>
b archaic : mercy, pardon
c : a special favor : privilege <each in his place, by right, not grace, shall rule his heritage — Rudyard Kipling>
d : disposition to or an act or instance of kindness, courtesy, or clemency
e : a temporary exemption : reprieve

3a : a charming or attractive trait or characteristic
b : a pleasing appearance or effect : charm <all the grace of youth — John Buchan> c : ease and suppleness of movement or bearing
4—used as a title of address or reference for a duke, a duchess, or an archbishop
5: a short prayer at a meal asking a blessing or giving thanks
6plural capitalized : three sister goddesses in Greek mythology who are the givers of charm and beauty
7: a musical trill, turn, or appoggiatura
8a : sense of propriety or right <had the grace not to run for elective office — Calvin Trillin>
b : the quality or state of being considerate or thoughtful
See grace defined for English-language learners »

Examples of GRACE
She walked across the stage with effortless grace.
She handles her problems with grace and dignity.
He has shown remarkable grace during this crisis.
She is quite lovable despite her lack of social graces.
Let us give thanks for God's grace.
By the grace of God, no one was seriously hurt.
She tried to live her life in God's grace.

Origin of GRACE

Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Latin gratia favor, charm, thanks, from gratus pleasing, grateful; akin to Sanskrit gṛṇāti he praises
First Known Use: 12th century

Related to GRACE

Synonyms: benevolence, boon, courtesy, favor, indulgence, kindness, mercy, service, turn

Antonyms: gracelessness, inelegance

Related Words: dispensation, waiver; advantage, benefit, blessing, godsend, manna; liberty, license (or licence), privilegeNear Antonyms: hindrance, hurdle, impediment, interference, obstaclesee all synonyms and antonyms

#2 02-25-11 2:25 am

bob_2

Re: What is the definition and importance of GRACE

I recently attended a church because I felt that their is something to be gained by fellowshipping with others. Read their list of beliefs and tell me if any thing is missing:

Our Beliefs

"Then you shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free." John 8:32

At Grace Church, we believe in the same biblical truths that have been held sacred since the time of Christ. We affirm truths that are unchangeable, yet fresh and applicable for each new generation. We cling to the core but refuse to be sidetracked by debatable, secondary issues that are more likely to cause strife than to promote spiritual growth.

Here are the basics we hold dear.

About God

There is one God, eternally existing in three distinct persons: the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit. These three are co-equal and each possesses all of the attributes of God. God is the Creator and Sustainer of the universe and everything in it.

About Jesus Christ

Jesus Christ is the Son of God. He is one with God the Father and the Holy Spirit. Jesus Christ is our Savior, who was born of a virgin, lived a sinless life, died on a cross for all sin, and was raised from the grave after three days to demonstrate His defeat of sin and death. He ascended into heaven and will return again to earth to reign as our powerful King.

About The Holy Spirit

The Holy Spirit is one with God the Father and Jesus Christ. Those who accept Christ as their Savior will receive the Holy Spirit to live inside them. The Holy Spirit serves as our comforter, guide and advocate. The Holy Spirit is given to Christians and provides guidance in living, an understanding of the Bible, and prayerfully intercedes for them.

About The Bible

Our foundation is based firmly upon the Bible as our final authority on Christian beliefs and as a guide to living. The Bible is divinely inspired by God, without error, given to man so that we may know and understand the truth of God and His love.

About Humanity

All people are made in the image of God and were created to live the adventure of following Jesus Christ. Although people have tremendous potential for good, we also have the freedom to do evil. Our disobedience toward God is called “sin” and that separates all humanity from God.

About Salvation

Salvation is not something that can be purchased or earned. It is a free gift from God provided by Jesus' sacrifice on the cross and is received through faith. It is available to everyone who accepts Jesus Christ as their Savior and Lord. That faith is expressed through repentance of sin and baptism by immersion.

About Eternity

People were created to exist forever. Every person will either exist eternally in union with God in heaven through following Jesus Christ, or eternally separated from God in hell due to our refusal to follow Him.

Last edited by bob_2 (02-25-11 2:29 am)

#3 02-25-11 2:39 am

bob_2

Is that enough for a church to believe in??? I found this church when I googled churches that believe New Covenant Theology. I have to attend more to find out for my self.

#4 02-25-11 11:42 am

Yitzak

I attend an episcopal church that has an even briefer creed. I am quite happy there.

I would at least think the name Grace would be a good sign.

Last edited by Yitzak (02-25-11 11:43 am)

Board footer