Adventists for Tomorrow

Our mission is to provide a free and open medium that will assist individuals in forming accurate, balanced, and thoughtful opinions regarding issues within and without the church.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Due to a large increase in spam, I have frozen forum registration. If you are new to the site and want to register, e-mail me personally at vandolson@gmail.com. Thank you.

#1 02-06-09 12:15 am

bob_2

Adventists Play Important Role in Obama Inaugural Events

Adventists Play Important Role in Obama Inaugural Events <BR> <BR><a href="http://www.adventistreview.com/article.php?id=2362" target=_top>http://www.adventistreview.com/article.php?id=2362</a> <BR> <BR><blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1><b>quote:</b></font><p>... <BR> <BR>“Lord of all nations, Whose Kingdom is above all earthly kingdom, and Who judges all lesser sovereignties,” Black began, “look with favor upon President Barack Obama, Vice President Joseph Biden, and members of the Cabinet. Empower them with the wisdom, courage and strength needed for our times. And protect them from any moral arrogance that obstructs the making of a world of justice, peace and righteousness.” <BR> <BR>He continued, “Infuse them with a passion to act in ways pleasing to You. Lord, preserve their families in health and strength by Your mercy and power and may they find Your grace sufficient for every need. We ask also that You would shower Your blessings upon the American people. Give us the wisdom to support our new President with our prayers, patience, and perseverance.” <BR> <BR>  <BR>Black concluded, “Bless now this luncheon and the nourishment we receive from Your bounty. We pray in Your Sovereign name, Amen.” <BR> <BR>...<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote> <BR> <BR>Notice the prayer by US Senate Chaplain Barry C. Black doesn&#39;t mention Jesus Christ in his prayer. I noted this on the old <a href="http://www.atomorrow.com" target=_top>www.atomorrow.com</a> . It takes on some significance given Obama&#39;s Islamic background and his desire to utilize it with Muslim nations as he already has.  The Lord&#39;s prayer that Jesus taught us to pray, doesn&#39;t mention Jesus Christ either, but He was the instructor, but notice this piece  <BR> <BR><a href="http://www.learnthebible.org/praying_in_jesus_name.htm" target=_top>http://www.learnthebible.org/praying_in_jesus_name .htm</a> :  <BR> <BR><b><font color="0000ff">Praying in the Name of Jesus <BR> <BR>... <BR> <BR>First, let us establish that it is scriptural to pray in the name of Jesus. Consider the following verses: <BR> <BR>John 14:13 – And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son.  <BR> <BR>John 14:14 – If ye shall ask any thing in my name, I will do it.  <BR> <BR>John 15:16 – Ye have not chosen me, but I have chosen you, and ordained you, that ye should go and bring forth fruit, and that your fruit should remain: that whatsoever ye shall ask of the Father in my name, he may give it you. <BR> <BR>John 16:23 – And in that day ye shall ask me nothing. Verily, verily, I say unto you, Whatsoever ye shall ask the Father in my name, he will give it you. <BR> <BR>John 16:24 – Hitherto have ye asked nothing in my name: ask, and ye shall receive, that your joy may be full. <BR> <BR>John 16:26 – At that day ye shall ask in my name: and I say not unto you, that I will pray the Father for you <BR> <BR>You will notice that in all of them Jesus tells His disciples to pray to the Father in His &#40;Jesus’&#41; name. But is this just a formula or is there something more to it? In order to get to the bottom of praying in the name of Jesus, we need to consider three things: &#40;1&#41; the biblical concept of name, &#40;2&#41; the importance of God’s name, and &#40;3&#41; what it means to act in someone else’s name. Then, we will be ready to look at praying in Jesus’ name. <BR> <BR>... <BR> <BR>In all my prayers, I try to say, &#34;in Jesus&#39; name.&#34; However, I know that the phrase means nothing without the heart attitude. I am nothing. Therefore, who I am makes no difference. But, when I come in the name of Jesus--that is authority and that is power!  <BR> <BR>...</font></b>

#2 02-06-09 5:59 am

don

Re: Adventists Play Important Role in Obama Inaugural Events

<b><font color="0000ff">Notice the prayer by US Senate Chaplain Barry C. Black doesn&#39;t mention Jesus Christ in his prayer.</font></b> <BR> <BR>Jesus never taught that prayer should be an evangelistic device. Rick Warren&#39;s repeating of Jesus&#39; name in various languages during his inaugural invocation was politicising Jesus, IMO.  <BR> <BR>Jesus never advocated the usurping of society in His name. He advised an unobtrusive manner. Take the lowest seat. Go forward when called upon. The kingdom of God does not depend on public prayer thrust upon unbelievers or people of non-conformist religious views. Christians in the public square should be quietly humble in their service. <BR> <BR>Christians who rise to public effort, such as Black, are there to serve not to drive home Christianity. Black has plenty of opportunity to pray in Jesus&#39; name in an appropriate context. Recall that the Lord&#39;s Prayer itself does not have the &#34;mantra&#34; of &#34;in Jesus name we pray&#34;. <BR><font color="ffffff"><font size="-2">.</font></font>

#3 02-06-09 1:06 pm

bob_2

Remember the exemplary prayer was coming from Jesus own mouth, also. You never addressed all the texts that I supplied from John. If Barry Black is hired because he is Christian but dodges the issues of Christianity to please, is that no a form of politicalization????? After all he is employed by a political body, No??? <BR> <BR>And, was I speaking of evangelism, or just coming as the Bible instructs because Jesus is more worthy than the man himself, just to get his request considered and granted, not to add to SDA numbers.  <BR> <BR>&#40;Message edited by Bob_2 on February 06, 2009&#41;

#4 02-06-09 6:23 pm

elaine

So all the people around the world:  Jews, Muslims and those who pray &#34;Our Father&#34; are not going &#34;through&#34; Jesus and their prayers  will not be heard?  C&#39;mon, if we follow Jesus&#39; own ideal prayer when asked, he said the &#34;Our Father---&#34;

#5 02-06-09 8:15 pm

bob_2

Elaine, you have to blend in the texts in John, if one is to stay Biblical. Certainly one can pray directly to the Father, but when one remembers what the Son has sacrificed, one would be in the heart attitude to pray in His name. Realize the exemplary prayer was given before Jesus death, eh???

#6 02-06-09 10:54 pm

don

<b><font color="ff0000">The Prayers Recorded in Acts</font></b> <BR> <BR><a href="http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Acts%201:24-25;&version=9;" target="_blank">Acts 1:24-25</a><blockquote><font size="-1">24And they prayed, and said, Thou, Lord, which knowest the hearts of all men, shew whether of these two thou hast chosen,  <BR> <BR> 25That he may take part of this ministry and apostleship, from which Judas by transgression fell, that he might go to his own place.</font></blockquote><a href="http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Acts%204:24-31;&version=9;" target="_blank">Acts 4:24-31</a><blockquote><font size="-1">24And when they heard that, they lifted up their voice to God with one accord, and said, Lord, thou art God, which hast made heaven, and earth, and the sea, and all that in them is:  <BR> <BR> 25Who by the mouth of thy servant David hast said, Why did the heathen rage, and the people imagine vain things?  <BR> <BR> 26The kings of the earth stood up, and the rulers were gathered together against the Lord, and against his Christ.  <BR> <BR> 27For of a truth against thy holy child Jesus, whom thou hast anointed, both Herod, and Pontius Pilate, with the Gentiles, and the people of Israel, were gathered together,  <BR> <BR> 28For to do whatsoever thy hand and thy counsel determined before to be done.  <BR> <BR> 29And now, Lord, behold their threatenings: and grant unto thy servants, that with all boldness they may speak thy word,  <BR> <BR> 30By stretching forth thine hand to heal; and that signs and wonders may be done by the name of thy holy child Jesus.  <BR> <BR> 31And when they had prayed, the place was shaken where they were assembled together; and they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and they spake the word of God with boldness.  <BR> <BR> 32And the multitude of them that believed were of one heart and of one soul: neither said any of them that ought of the things which he possessed was his own; but they had all things common.</font></blockquote><b>Some Thoughts</b> <BR> <BR>These are the only two prayers recorded in the book of Acts, I think. Note that one mentions doing miracles in Jesus&#39; name. Neither uses the &#34;in Jesus&#39; name we pray&#34; ending.  <BR> <BR>When did prayer with such an ending become the norm for Christian prayer? I suggest that praying in Jesus&#39; name has more to do with the supplicant&#39;s mental awareness of Jesus while praying than in the &#34;magic&#34; formula of those particular words.  <BR><font color="ffffff"><font size="-2">.</font></font>

#7 02-06-09 11:33 pm

don

<b><font color="ff0000">Praying in Jesus&#39; Name - Asserting His Authority</font></b> <BR> <BR>This presentation further examines what it really means to pray in Jesus&#39; name.<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1><b>quote:</b></font><p><b>Prayer</b> <BR> <BR>Jesus made some statements concerning prayer that have brought about a misunderstanding concerning how we are to pray. Jesus said, &#34;Whatever you ask in my name, I will do it&#34; &#40;John 14:13; See also 14:14; 15:16; 16:23&#41;. Shortly after Jesus said again, &#34;Until now you have not asked for anything in my name; ask and you will receive, that your joy may be full&#34; &#40;John 16:24&#41;. Most have understood these verses to mean that we are to end our prayers by saying, &#34;In Jesus&#39; name&#34; or some similar statement. Although such a practice is not harmful it misunderstands what Jesus was teaching us in these passages. Jesus did not intend for us to actually say the words &#34;in Jesus&#39; name&#34; in conjunction with prayer, but rather to pray in His stead, with His authority, and in accordance with His will. <BR> <BR>Some have come to understand that saying &#34;in Jesus&#39; name&#34; seals the prayer, guaranteeing that it will be answered. This is not much different than sorcery, viewing &#34;Jesus&#39; name&#34; as a magical phrase like &#34;abra-cadabra-ala-cazam.&#34; To pray in Jesus&#39; name is to pray according to His will, character, and purpose. It is to pray in His stead, and act in His authority as His representatives on earth. It is similar to the notion of power of attorney. We can give someone else the legal right to our name. In this capacity, they can obtain information otherwise unavailable to them, and make decisions on our behalf in our stead. <BR> <BR>It might also be likened to a police officer who declares, &#34;Stop in the name of the law.&#34; He means that he is representing the law, and acting in its authority. God has given us Jesus&#39; name so we can act in His person, in His stead, carrying out His will here on earth in His physical absence. <BR> <BR>On a practical level, many view &#34;in Jesus&#39; name&#34; to be the way we let everyone know when we are finished praying. In effect, what is being said is, &#34;And now we&#39;re finished praying, let&#39;s eat&#34; or &#34;let&#39;s move on to something else.&#34; <BR> <BR>That Jesus never intended for us to say &#34;in Jesus&#39; name&#34; during or at the conclusion of prayer is evident from the fact that there is no prayer in Scripture that records anyone actually saying, &#34;In Jesus&#39; name.&#34; This does not mean they were not praying &#34;in Jesus&#39; name,&#34; because according to the Eastern understanding of &#34;name,&#34; they were praying in Jesus&#39; name by praying according to His will and purpose. <BR> <BR>The best example of a NT prayer is found in Acts 4:24-30. The account of this prayer is given from the standpoint of a bystander dictating what was spoken. In this episode, however, we will not find anyone saying &#34;in Jesus&#39; name&#34; at any point of the prayer. If Jesus meant for His church to actually say &#34;in Jesus&#39; name&#34; after our prayers, surely we would find His apostles doing so. The same could be said for the prayers found in Ephesians 1:17-23 and Revelation 22:20. We pray in Jesus’ name when we pray in His authority and will, not when we merely utter &#34;in Jesus’ name!&#34; <BR> <BR><a href="http://www.apostolic.net/biblicalstudies/names.htm#Anchor1" target="_blank">The Biblical Significance of Names, Particularly as it Relates to Prayer and Baptism</a> <BR> <BR>by Jason Dulle <BR> <BR> <BR><!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>

Board footer