Adventists for Tomorrow

Our mission is to provide a free and open medium that will assist individuals in forming accurate, balanced, and thoughtful opinions regarding issues within and without the church.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Due to a large increase in spam, I have frozen forum registration. If you are new to the site and want to register, e-mail me personally at vandolson@gmail.com. Thank you.

#1 04-10-10 12:23 pm

tom_norris
Adventist Reform
Website

Christian Critics of President Obama

The fact that any Christian would wish President Obama, or President Bush for that matter, to be personally ruined, destitute, and dead is so wrong and outrageous, that it proves whoever writes this garbage has no understanding of the Gospel or how to read the Bible.

While politics has always been a rough sport, the New Testament does not support the rude, arrogant, and racist behavior that so many in the churches use towards President Obama.  Those Christians that act in such a fashion are refuting what has been established by God, exposing their own lack of Gospel knowledge.

This blasphemous use of Psalms 109:8, which is being circulated against President Obama, is not being used correctly or honestly.  It is taken out of context and does not apply to our situation today.  President Obama does not live in the Old Covenant and neither do we, so why was this passage used?  In addition, this is not the type of Prayer that Jesus teaches that any Christian should pray.

Moreover, Obama is not a “wicked” man that has attacked the people of God, nor is he a liar, accusing God’s people of anything.  This passage in Psalms has no relevance to the situation today, other than the fact it contained suitable insults for those that have no respect for authority or the Gospel.

Psalms 109:0  For the choir director. A Psalm of David.

Psalms 109:1  O God of my praise,
Do not be silent!

Psalms 109:2 For they have opened the wicked and deceitful mouth against me;

They have spoken against me with a lying tongue.

Psalms 109:3 They have also surrounded me with words of hatred,
         And fought against me without cause.

Psalms 109:4 In return for my love they act as my accusers;
         But I am in prayer.

Psalms 109:5 Thus they have repaid me evil for good
         And hatred for my love.

Psalms 109:6  Appoint a wicked man over him,
         And let an accuser stand at his right hand.

Psalms 109:7 When he is judged, let him come forth guilty,
         And let his prayer become sin.

Psalms 109:8 Let his days be few;
         Let another take his office.

Psalms 109:9 Let his children be fatherless
         And his wife a widow.

Psalms 109:10 Let his children wander about and beg;
         And let them seek sustenance far from their ruined homes.

Psalms 109:11 Let the creditor seize all that he has,
         And let strangers plunder the product of his labor.

Psalms 109:12 Let there be none to extend loving kindness to him,
         Nor any to be gracious to his fatherless children.

Psalms 109:13 Let his posterity be cut off;
         In a following generation let their name be blotted out.

And on and on this passage of hatred towards one’s enemies and oppressors goes.  It does not apply to any Twenty-First Century American President.

Assuming for the sake of argument that President Obama is an evil, horrible man, the Gospel teaches that we are to love our enemies regardless.  The Gospel does not teach us to rise up against them with slanders and death threats from the scriptures.

The Gospel teaches that even if, hypothetically, President Obama acted like Nero or Caligula (some of the awful leaders during the days of the apostolic church), those that follow Jesus are to pray for these leaders anyway:

Matt. 5:44:   “But I say to you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you,

Luke 6:28:   bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you.

These words of Jesus apply to all that claim to follow Christ.

But guess what?  President Obama is nowhere close to being like Nero or Caligula.  He has never persecuted the church or jailed Christians.  Those Christians that make such slanders against him are only proving that they are easily manipulated by false teachers that do not understand the teachings of Jesus or the apostles.

The New Testament & Civil Leaders

The New Testament speaks very clearly about how Christians should act towards their civil leaders.  They were not to question their authority, or slander them, much less wish they were dead and their family destitute, begging in the streets.

Listen to Paul, who lived under some of the worst leaders of the history of the world (like Caligula and Nero) instruct Christians of every age how to relate to their leaders.  Would he approve of these slanders against President Obama, and the use of the Bible to hurl death threats against such a world leader?  Hardly. 

Paul clearly condemns those Christians that speak evil against their leaders.  And so, too, does Jesus.  To oppose, attack, and slander Presidents Obama, Bush, Clinton, Reagan, or any other leader, is to oppose God. 

Christians have no authority to behave in such a factional and political manner.  Their world is not this world, nor should they become so confused as to ever forget this fact.

Listen to Paul:

Rom. 13:1  Every person is to be in subjection to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and those which exist are established by God.

Rom. 13:2  Therefore whoever resists authority has opposed the ordinance of God; and they who have opposed will receive condemnation upon themselves.

Rom. 13:3  For rulers are not a cause of fear for good behavior, but for evil. Do you want to have no fear of authority? Do what is good and you will have praise from the same;

Rom. 13:4 for it is a minister of God to you for good. But if you do what is evil, be afraid; for it does not bear the sword for nothing; for it is a minister of God, an avenger who brings wrath on the one who practices evil.

Rom. 13:5  Therefore it is necessary to be in subjection, not only because of wrath, but also for conscience’ sake.

Rom. 13:6  For because of this you also pay taxes, for rulers are servants of God, devoting themselves to this very thing.

Rom. 13:7  Render to all what is due them: tax to whom tax is due; custom to whom custom; fear to whom fear; honor to whom honor.

President Obama, or any President in office, deserves honor, respect, and cooperation, not slander and rebellion.  THIS is what the Gospel teaches.   THIS is how Christians must act regardless how they voted.

Listen to Peter:

1Peter 2:16 Act as free men, and do not use your freedom as a covering for evil, but use it as bondslaves of God.

1Peter 2:17 Honor all people, love the brotherhood, fear God, honor the king.

Learn what the NT teaches on this topic:

Titus 2:15  These things speak and exhort and reprove with all authority. Let no one disregard you.

Titus 3:1  Remind them to be subject to rulers, to authorities, to be obedient, to be ready for every good deed,

Titus 3:2 to malign no one, to be peaceable, gentle, showing every consideration for all men.

Let all repent for their arrogant misreading of the Bible.

Let all repent for their slanders and bad attitude towards those whom God has placed in power.

Let all respect and honor the civil authorities, co-operating with a Gospel heart, being ready for every good deed.

Matt. 11:15 “He who has ears to hear, let him hear.

Tom Norris,
For Adventist Reform

#2 04-11-10 12:11 am

bob_2

Re: Christian Critics of President Obama

Tom, I didn't know you used the Bible to do satire. Very interesting!!! This takes ATomorrow.net to a whole new level. Tom you are so talented.

Last edited by bob_2 (04-11-10 12:12 am)

#3 04-11-10 9:52 am

tom_norris
Adventist Reform
Website

Re: Christian Critics of President Obama

Bob, many people are so unfamiliar with the teachings of the NT, that they have little idea about the real teachings of Jesus and the apostles.  While I have no intention of getting into any discussions about politics, there is obviously a need to explain what the NT teaches about this topic.  I said the same thing on the old AT site, so this is hardly a new position.

No doubt many will ignore what they don't like and continue to make up their own doctrines and go their own way.  This is how the Laodicean church functions.  This is why they have all been called to repent and reform.

Board footer