Adventists for Tomorrow

Our mission is to provide a free and open medium that will assist individuals in forming accurate, balanced, and thoughtful opinions regarding issues within and without the church.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Due to a large increase in spam, I have frozen forum registration. If you are new to the site and want to register, e-mail me personally at vandolson@gmail.com. Thank you.

#1 03-15-10 8:56 am

Ryan
Administrator
Website

Righteousness

What is it and can we / how do we become righteous?

#2 03-15-10 11:04 am

bob_2

Re: Righteousness

2 Timothy 2:22
Flee the evil desires of youth, and pursue righteousness [i.e., pursue doing righteous works].

2 Timothy 3:16
All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness [i.e., in doing righteous works].

Titus 3:5
He saved us, not because of righteous things we had done, but because of his mercy.

Romans 5:17
For if, by the trespass of the one man [Adam], death reigned through that one man, how much more will those who receive God's abundant provision of grace and of the gift of righteousness reign in life through the one man, Jesus Christ.

Romans 3:20-25a
(20) Therefore no one will be declared righteous in his sight by observing the law; rather, through the law we become conscious of sin.
(21) But now a righteousness from God, apart from law, has been made known, to which the Law and the Prophets testify.
(22) This righteousness from God comes through faith in Jesus Christ to all who believe. There is no difference,
(23) for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God,
(24) and are justified freely by his grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus.
(25a) God presented him as a sacrifice of atonement, through faith in his blood. He did this to demonstrate his justice...

Romans 10:9
That if you confess with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.

Romans 10:4
Christ is the end of the law so that there may be righteousness for everyone who believes.

1 Corinthians 1:30
It is because of him [God] that you are in Christ Jesus, who has become for us wisdom from God—that is, our righteousness, holiness and redemption.

2 Corinthians 5:21
God made him who had no sin to be sin [a sin offering] for us, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God.

Sanctification is the cart before the horse, but the cart none the less that is part of the day to day struggle of the Christian. The horse is the Holy Spirit that empowers us to pull that cart, Christ's death and belief and faith in it that gives the horse strength to pull the cart, and pull it in the right direction.

Last edited by bob_2 (03-15-10 11:06 am)

Board footer