Adventists for Tomorrow

Our mission is to provide a free and open medium that will assist individuals in forming accurate, balanced, and thoughtful opinions regarding issues within and without the church.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Due to a large increase in spam, I have frozen forum registration. If you are new to the site and want to register, e-mail me personally at vandolson@gmail.com. Thank you.

#1 02-04-10 9:18 am

Ryan
Administrator
Website

"Horizontal and vertical: The evolution of evolution"

I don't know how recent these ideas are, but this is something new to me.

http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg2 … ?full=true

#2 02-06-10 12:15 pm

bob_2

Re: "Horizontal and vertical: The evolution of evolution"

Ryan, complex stuff, but it appears to me to be a description of microevolution. It has always been lateral or horizontal within type or kind. The fact that one microbe can "mate" with another microbe would make it part of it's kind. The leap come when you assume how the helixes were formed in the first place (where the parts came from) and that various microbes started other kinds, fish, reptiles.....etc is really making a leap. Are the codons, proof of a universal ancestor or a universal designer???? I still maintain that MacroEvolution  (vertical ) still has never successfully happened. Not sure this microbial study make it more possible or just interesting that this microbe could fuse with this microbe. But, maybe I don't understand their point.  roll

Board footer