Adventists for Tomorrow

Our mission is to provide a free and open medium that will assist individuals in forming accurate, balanced, and thoughtful opinions regarding issues within and without the church.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Due to a large increase in spam, I have frozen forum registration. If you are new to the site and want to register, e-mail me personally at vandolson@gmail.com. Thank you.

#1 01-13-09 8:02 pm

bob_2

Democrats seek criminal probe of Bush 'abuses'

Democrats seek criminal probe of Bush &#39;abuses&#39; <BR> <BR><a href="http://apnews.myway.com/article/20090113/D95MGCS80.html" target=_top>http://apnews.myway.com/article/20090113/D95MGCS80 .html</a> <BR> <BR><blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1><b>quote:</b></font><p>WASHINGTON &#40;AP&#41; - The incoming Obama administration should launch a criminal investigation of Bush administration officials to see whether they broke the law in the name of national security, a House Democratic report said Tuesday. President-elect Barack Obama has been more cautious on the issue and has not endorsed such a recommendation. <BR> <BR>Along with the criminal probe, the report called for a Sept. 11-style commission with subpoena power, to gather facts and make recommendations on preventing misuse of power, according to the report by the Democratic staff of the House Judiciary Committee. <BR> <BR>The report covers Bush administration policies that Democrats have protested for some time. Among them: interrogation of foreign detainees, warrantless wiretaps, retribution against critics, manipulation of intelligence and political dismissals of U.S. attorneys. <BR> <BR>... <BR> <BR>However, in an interview this month with The Associated Press, Vice President Dick Cheney said, &#34;I can&#39;t speak for everybody in the administration, but my view would be that the people who carried out that program - intelligence surveillance program, the enhanced interrogation program, with respect to al Qaeda captives - in fact were authorized to do what they did ... .&#34; <BR> <BR>Cheney said legal opinions supported the officials. <BR> <BR>&#34;And I believe they followed those legal opinions and I don&#39;t have any reason to believe that they did anything wrong or inappropriate,&#34; the vice president said. [Cheney has won this sort of legal battle before, I&#39;m betting he&#39;s right on this one also, and this slowly goes away. - Bob-2] <BR> <BR>... <BR> <BR>Obama said intelligence officials were &#34;extraordinarily talented people who are working very hard to keep Americans safe. I don&#39;t want them to suddenly feel like they&#39;ve got to spend all their time looking over their shoulders and lawyering.&#34; <BR> <BR>...<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>

Board footer