Adventists for Tomorrow

Our mission is to provide a free and open medium that will assist individuals in forming accurate, balanced, and thoughtful opinions regarding issues within and without the church.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Due to a large increase in spam, I have frozen forum registration. If you are new to the site and want to register, e-mail me personally at vandolson@gmail.com. Thank you.

#1 08-29-09 6:35 am

admin
Administrator

I just realized that we have no topic on this forum for just talking about the Bible, its stories, questions, etc., that doesn't necessarily have anything to do with Seventh-day Adventism. So, I made this. Being under the "Seventh-day Adventist" heading might not be the best place for this new topic, so I may be moving it / creating a new category later.

Ryan

(Message edited by admin on August 29, 2009)

(Message edited by admin on August 29, 2009)

#2 09-20-09 8:57 pm

george

Re: New Topic

I'm not sure where to post this, so I'll use this space. I'm just now watching PBS program on Egypt. They showed an Egyptian temple, describing its parts. It suddenly dawned on me how much it looked like the Hebrew temple with its out courts and the holy of holies.

It seems logical that the Hebrews would pattern the temple after the ones in Egypt and adapting it to the worship of their God, after having been there as slaves. Any thoughts?

#3 09-20-09 11:14 pm

don

It seems logical that the Hebrews would pattern the temple after the ones in Egypt and adapting it to the worship of their God, after having been there as slaves.

It would be interesting to compare actual floor plans.

If a temple has a place where God's presence resides, it would naturally hold a place to honor same.

One writer points out the difference between Egypt's tangible idol gods with the Hebrew invisible no-idol god.

#4 09-21-09 1:46 pm

elaine

The Teaching Company's newest lectures: The Roots of Religion should be watched by all those interested in religious origins from the earliest archeological discoveries from the Stone Age and extending to modern times.

The similarities are clearly seen in their structures, burial sites, stone edifices, and much more. The whole 36 lectures (DVD) are most fascinating. The origins of religion reach far into preliterate times and many have noted the resemblance between pagan and Hebrew temples and worship places.

Most religions designate sacred spaces and sacred times to observe their religious rites. This is clearly seen in the Hebrew religion, but long before the Hebrews existed, there were similar sites and times for worship. Nothing is new under the sun; we all have more similarities than differences.

The Hebrew people also worshiped many gods, and it was not until the Babylonian Exile with its humiliation that there were a few who returned to Judea and attempted to restore the idea of one god. Although the Bible story speaks of "one god" a careful reading will show that all during the time of the Pentateuch the Israelites were worshiping many gods, and continued to do so.

Why did the Ten Commandments forbid making graven images when the tabernacle instructions were to make cherubims of gold?

#5 09-21-09 6:40 pm

don

Why did the Ten Commandments forbid making graven images when the tabernacle instructions were to make cherubims of gold?

I believe that the Commandment was understood to be in reference to worship. This would explain the acceptable nature of sculptures, etc.

Board footer