Adventists for Tomorrow

Our mission is to provide a free and open medium that will assist individuals in forming accurate, balanced, and thoughtful opinions regarding issues within and without the church.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Due to a large increase in spam, I have frozen forum registration. If you are new to the site and want to register, e-mail me personally at vandolson@gmail.com. Thank you.

#1 01-28-09 8:16 am

heipauli

A lesson, obvious to some, (a)moral

the story appeared at the pages of fimnet, not open to anyone not a member of Finnish Medical Association. <BR> <BR>The original source was not given, so I cannot give any link. <BR> <BR>But I could not help thinking this thread, when I read the story <BR>-------------- <BR> <BR>&#34;There is a group of five statisticians on a train. At the next stop, five  <BR>epidemiologists get on. They all seem to know each other and start chatting.  <BR>It transpires that all the epidemiologists have bought a ticket, but the  <BR>statisticians have only bought one between the five of them. &#34;Why did you do  <BR>that?&#34; asks one of the epidemiologists. &#34;Surely you&#39;re going to get caught and  <BR>thrown off the train?&#34; &#34;Just wait and see!&#34;, smiles one of the statisticians. <BR> <BR>As the ticket inspector is approaching to check everyone&#39;s tickets, the  <BR>statisticians all go off to the nearest toilet - the inspector passes the  <BR>epidemiologists and inspects all their tickets then moves on and notices that  <BR>the toilet is locked. &#34;Tickets please!&#34;, shouts the inspector. One of the  <BR>statisticians pushes their ticket under the toilet door, which the inspector  <BR>checks and returns under the door. Once the inspector has gone, all the  <BR>statisticians return to their seats to the awe and amazement of the  <BR>epidemiologists. &#34;That&#39;s incredibly clever!&#34; says one of the epidemiologists. <BR> <BR>A few weeks later they all find themselves on the same train again. They sit  <BR>together and start chatting once more. &#34;We&#39;ve done what you suggested&#34;,  <BR>says one of the epidemiologists. &#34;And just bought one ticket between the five  <BR>of us!&#34; &#34;Oh really&#34;, says one of the statisticians. &#34;we haven&#39;t bought ANY  <BR>tickets this time!&#34; The epidemiologists look at each other in amazement. &#34;OK,  <BR>one ticket between you is fine but not buying any at all is ludicrous!&#34; <BR> <BR>As the ticket inspector approaches the epidemiologists hurry off to the toilet.  <BR>Once they&#39;re inside, the statisticians follow them. &#34;Tickets please!&#34; shouts  <BR>one of the statisticians. The ticket appears under the door and they take it  <BR>away and all bundle into a different toilet. The inspector gets to the toilet  <BR>with the epidemiologists in it. &#34;Tickets please!&#34; he shouts. No reply. &#34;Tickets  <BR>please!&#34; The epidemiologists admit defeat and come out of the toilet only to  <BR>be thrown off the train at the next station. <BR> <BR>THE MORAL OF THIS STORY: Epidemiologists should not attempt to use  <BR>statistical methods without fully understanding the theory behind them!&#34; <BR> <BR> <BR>The moral is transparent to some of you. <BR>For other it is and remains obscure, IMHO. <BR> <BR>No hard feelings anyway.

#2 01-28-09 10:40 am

maggie

Re: A lesson, obvious to some, &#40;a&#41;moral

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1><b>quote:</b></font><p>&#34;Lies, damned lies, and statistics&#34; is part of a phrase attributed to Benjamin Disraeli and popularised in the United States by Mark Twain: &#34;There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics.&#34;  <BR> <BR>The statement refers to the persuasive power of numbers, the use of statistics to bolster weak arguments, and the tendency of people to disparage statistics that do not support their positions. <BR> <BR>Twain popularised the saying in &#34;Chapters from My Autobiography&#34;, published in the North American Review, No. DCXVIII., July 5, 1907.  <BR> <BR>&#34;Figures often beguile me,&#34; he wrote, &#34;particularly when I have the arranging of them myself; in which case the remark attributed to Disraeli would often apply with justice and force: &#39;There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics.&#39;&#34; <BR> <BR>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lies,_damned_lies,_and_statistics<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>How&#39;d I do? <BR> <BR>&#40;Message edited by maggie on January 28, 2009&#41;

#3 01-29-09 10:29 am

maggie

Re: A lesson, obvious to some, &#40;a&#41;moral

Apparently it remains obscure to me....

Board footer