Adventists for Tomorrow

Our mission is to provide a free and open medium that will assist individuals in forming accurate, balanced, and thoughtful opinions regarding issues within and without the church.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Due to a large increase in spam, I have frozen forum registration. If you are new to the site and want to register, e-mail me personally at vandolson@gmail.com. Thank you.

#1 03-05-09 12:31 pm

bob_2

The New Covenant Law Written in the Heart

Some have "argued" which law is referred to in Jeremiah 31: 33. This author is John Zens a prominent proponet of NCT:

...a few words are in order about the "law" mentioned in Jeremiah 31:33 - "I will put my law within them, and on their heart will I write it." Mr. McPhee suggests that only the Ten Commandments could be in view. But such a view betrays an openness to future definitive redemptive events which, in the new economy, would effect certain radical changes. New wine must be put into new wineskins (Luke 5:33-39). Thus, in the case of Jeremiah 31: 31-34, future redemptive history reveals that the words "house of Israel and house of Judah" cannot be "literally" applied only to the twelve tribes; instead, the New Covenant opens the door of faith to the Gentiles. Likewise, future redemptive history shows that Christ selected from the Mosaic economy that which would be binding on the New Covenant community. Thus, it is not entirely accurate to say that the "Ten Commandments" of the Old Covenant must be in view in Jeremiah 31: 33. More properly, in light of New Covenant fulfillment, it is the "law of Christ" that is ultimately written on the heart. We must remember that the New Covenant documents are the "canon" (standard, norm) of the church. We must allow these documents to define "law" in the new age.

http://solochristo.com/theology/nct/crucial.htm

(Message edited by Bob_2 on March 05, 2009)

#2 03-05-09 11:48 pm

bob_2

Re: The New Covenant Law Written in the Heart

Another point about the Mosaic Covenant not being able to be broken up to civil, ceremonial and moral:

The history of Reformed thought reveals a tendency to view the Ten Commandments apart from the progress of redemptive history. I am seeking to point out that "law" in these "last days" is solely in the hands of Christ, not Moses. And in order to establish this point, it is imperative to see that the Mosaic law-covenant was a unified code which had a beginning and end in history. To be sure, the Ten Commandments occupied a special place in the Old Covenant;

#3 03-05-09 11:58 pm

bob_2

Continuing to clarify:

When Jesus died on the cross "the veil of the temple was torn in two from the top to the bottom, and the earth quaked, and the rocks were broken apart" (Matt.27:51; Cf., Heb.9:7-8). This decisive, supernatural act visibly demonstrated the end of the Old Covenant and the establishment of the New.

Thus, within this restricted perspective of the abolishing of the Old and the beginning of the New, it is proper to see the "stones" as included in that which was terminated. G.I. Williamson states that "he (God) wrote them (Ten Commandments) not on perishable skins but upon tablets of stone - symbolic of the permanence belonging to them" (The Westminster Confession of Faith - A Study Guide, p. 142). There is truth to this in the sense that they were set apart in the Old Covenant (Heb.9:4); but according to Paul the age of outward writing on stones is past, and the era of inward writing on the heart by the Spirit is in effect (2 Cor.3:3).

This is simply to say, then, that "law" must now be identified with the current covenant in force, for the former covenant is no longer operative. Moses was the head of his house: Israel. Christ is now the Head of His house: the church. We must came to grips with the fact that the house of Moses is finished, and the house of Christ is being built until the end of this age (Heb.3:1-6; Matt.16:18; 28:20).

Where have we all heard that argument about the permanence of stone, that being the reason God put them on stone. That is not a Biblical position that it represents eternal permanency otherwise, Jeremiah 31:33 would be inaccurate.

#4 03-06-09 11:02 am

bob_2

Also:

Exodus 34:27-28 is important here:

And the Lord said unto Moses, write thou these words: for after the tenor of these words I have made a covenant with thee and with Israel. . . .
    And he wrote upon the tables the words of the covenant, the ten commandments."

What is significant here is that Moses identifies "the words of the covenant" with "the ten commandments" written on "the tables" In fact, it is God Himself Who makes the identification. Not only does this demonstrate the inseparable unity of the law of Moses given to Israel at Sinai, but it highlights the fact that the apostolic declarations of the abolition of the covenant/law of Moses include even the decalogue.

http://www.biblicalstudies.com/bstudy/h … ibri-1.htm

#5 03-06-09 8:33 pm

bob

Great topic Bob. All the years I was an Adventist I don't believe the subject was ever studied or if it was touched on it was not explored enough to make a dent in my brain. When I did start studying the covenants I realized what Adventism taught about unclean foods, Sabbath and tithing was not according to scripture.

Maybe that is why we don't see any SDAs here on this thread. I would think they would want to learn about the covenants. Well, maybe not, out of site, out of mind.

Board footer