Adventists for Tomorrow

Our mission is to provide a free and open medium that will assist individuals in forming accurate, balanced, and thoughtful opinions regarding issues within and without the church.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Due to a large increase in spam, I have frozen forum registration. If you are new to the site and want to register, e-mail me personally at vandolson@gmail.com. Thank you.

#1 02-28-09 1:10 am

bob_2

Does God want the Jews Back!!!

I was disappointed to find one of my favorite author/scholars, Fred Zaspel, has written a book or article entitled "Jews, Gentiles and the Goal of Redemptive History" where he gives the Jews a continued role in end time events, almost like the Dispensationalist view, in fact, I believe what he believes is called Progressive Dispensationalism:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Progressiv … ationalism

My position is that the Jews rejected the Messiah and are in a similar situation as any Gentile relative to Salvation. The land promises are spiritualized into the Church, being Spiritual Israel. Note:

Romans 11:17If some of the branches have been broken off, and you, though a wild olive shoot, have been grafted in among the others and now share in the nourishing sap from the olive root, 18do not boast over those branches. If you do, consider this: You do not support the root, but the root supports you. 19You will say then, "Branches were broken off so that I could be grafted in." 20Granted. But they were broken off because of unbelief, and you stand by faith. Do not be arrogant, but be afraid. 21For if God did not spare the natural branches, he will not spare you either.

The comments in Romans 11: 26 are conditional, and yes a remnant will be saved.

There are some that believe that the Old Testament should interpret the New Testament but these verses would suggest different:

Romans 16:25Now to him who is able to establish you by my gospel and the proclamation of Jesus Christ, according to the revelation of the mystery hidden for long ages past, 26but now revealed and made known through the prophetic writings by the command of the eternal God, so that all nations might believe and obey him— 27to the only wise God be glory forever through Jesus Christ! Amen.

This to me would mean the NT is interpreting the OT and the Covennats with the Jews are all fulfilled in Christ, the Old being Obsolete.

Israel exists today by artifical interference by Britian and America. I do not believe that the Davidic Covenant of land promises are still viable, but spiritualized in the Church, Spiritual Israel. The Abrahamic Covenant is what allows for our adoption into the church.

Zaspel's view is interesting but I believe not correct.

#2 03-10-09 1:17 pm

bob_2

Re: Does God want the Jews Back!!!

Israel Today

We believe that God terminated the Mosaic Economy (i.e., the national, sacrificial and legal institutions associated with the Old Covenant) when He destroyed Jerusalem in 70a AD in fulfillment of His oracles of judgment against, the Harlot, apostate Israelb; that, as a nation redeemed from bondage in Egypt by the hand of God, Israel of old served to foreshadow the new Israel of Godc redeemed from sin's bondage by the blood of Christ, the Lamb of Godd; that any theological significance which the nation of Israel once had has now endede and in its place stands the Churchf, the pure and spotless Brideg, the fruitful nationh,the "heavenly Jerusalem," the "city of God,"i the "one new man"j comprised of both Jew and Gentilek, which alone shall receive all the blessings promised throughout the Old Testament by virtue of its relation to Jesus Christ, the seed of Abrahaml, in whom all the promises of God are yes and amenm.

a) foretold in Matt. 24, Mark 13, Luke 21, and Revelation, the things which must shortly take place, 1:1.
    b) Luke 21:22.
    c) Gal 6:16;
    d) 1 Cor. 10:1-11, now these things happended as examples for us, v. 6, cf. v. 11; 1 Pet. 2:9-10.
    e) Matt. 21:43; Rom. 10:12; Gal. 6:15.
    f) Acts 15:13-18; Phil. 3:3, the true circumcision.
    g) Eph. 5:23-27.
    h) Matt. 21:43.
    i) Heb. 12:22.
    j) Eph. 2:15.
    k) Rom. 4:9-12; 15:7-12; Isa. 49:6.
    l) Gal. 3:16.
    m) 2 Cor. 1:20; Rom 15:8.

We believe that those Jews who, in the providence of God, believe in Jesus as the Messiah both now and in the future shall be ingrafted into the Church rather than established as a separate people of God.

Rom. 11:23-24; Jn. 10:16, there shall be one flock with one shephard.

http://solochristo.com/_SC/SoloChristo.htm

Board footer