Adventists for Tomorrow

Our mission is to provide a free and open medium that will assist individuals in forming accurate, balanced, and thoughtful opinions regarding issues within and without the church.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Due to a large increase in spam, I have frozen forum registration. If you are new to the site and want to register, e-mail me personally at vandolson@gmail.com. Thank you.

#1 02-09-09 6:58 pm

bob_2

New Covenant Theology - What is it?

To start with, as an into, I'm going to use this source until we get further into the topic:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Covenant

By the definition given here:

"New Covenant

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This article is about the theological concept of the New Covenant. For other uses, see New Covenant (disambiguation).

Christians believe that Jesus is the mediator of the New Covenant (see Hebrews 8:6). Depicted is his famous Sermon on the Mount in which he commented on the Law. Some scholars (see Antithesis of the Law) consider this to be an antitype of the proclamation of the Ten Commandments or Mosaic Covenant by Moses from the Biblical Mount Sinai.The term New Covenant ... is used in the Bible (both in the Hebrew Bible and the Greek New Testament) to refer to an epochal relationship of restoration and peace following a period of trial and judgment. As are all covenants between God and man described in the Bible, it is "a bond in blood sovereignly administered by God."

Supporting texts:

"New Testament texts

In English translations of the Greek New Testament, the use of the phrase "New Covenant" varies, however, for example, it occurs in the NIV translation at Luke 22:20, 1 Corinthians 11:25, 2 Corinthians 3:6, Hebrews 8:8, 9:15, and 12:24 ..."

#2 02-09-09 6:59 pm

bob_2

Re: New Covenant Theology - What is it?

Differing views:

Judaism
The Jewish view of the New Covenant is no more than a renewed national commitment to abide by God's laws. In this view, the word new does not refer to commitment that replaces a previous one, but rather to an additional and greater level of commitment.[8] Because Jews view the Sinaitic covenant as applying only to Jews and any New Covenant merely a strengthening of the already existing one, Jews do not see this phrase as relevant in any way to non-Jews. For non-Jews, Judaism advocates the Seven Laws of Noah. See also Jewish eschatology.

#3 02-09-09 7:01 pm

bob_2

Christianity
    The Christian view of the New Covenant is a new relationship between God and humans mediated by Jesus which necessarily includes all people, both Jews and Gentiles, in order to bring about the type of global peace and obedience to God expected in the era of the Jewish Messiah.[9] The New Covenant also breaks the generational curse of physical death on all children of Adam who accept it as offered by Jesus, both Jews and Gentiles, causing death to be swallowed up forever (Isaiah 25:8) after people are judged for their own sins, which is also expected to happen with the arrival of the Jewish Messiah (see also Eternal life)[10].

"In those days they shall say no more, The fathers have eaten a sour grape, and the children's teeth are set on edge. But every one shall die for his own iniquity: every man that eateth the sour grape, his teeth shall be set on edge. Behold, the days come, saith the LORD, that I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah:" — Jeremiah 31:29-31 KJV [11]

Thus as the Apostle Paul states that the Old Covenant of Sinai does not in itself prevent Jews from sinning and dying,[12] and is not given to Gentiles at all, Christians believe the New Covenant ends sin and death for everyone who accepts it and cannot simply be a renewal of the Mosaic Covenant since it accomplishes much more. See also Types of Supersessionism....

I have deleted the part on Dispensationalism, since it is it's own catagory of Theology which I reject, and is another story which we might get into later.

Also, something else that I reject is any suggestion of a judgement at Christ's first Advent. Judgement will take place but at a pre Second Advent of Jesus Christ. This can be discussed later but I wanted to clarify it given it's reference in the quote above.

#4 02-09-09 7:04 pm

bob_2

David J Cadieux (Cadge)
Username: Cadge

Post Number: 176
Posted on Monday, July 28, 2008 - 9:21 pm:

-------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------
Hi Bob2, welcome back from your sabbatical, and look, God gave you your own section.

Let me start of with this question: How do you view this scripture as pertains to your New Covenant Theology?:

Wherefore then [serveth] the law? It was added because of transgressions, till the seed should come to whom the promise was made; [and it was] ordained by angels in the hand of a mediator.Gal.3:19

Cadge

Board footer