Adventists for Tomorrow

Our mission is to provide a free and open medium that will assist individuals in forming accurate, balanced, and thoughtful opinions regarding issues within and without the church.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Due to a large increase in spam, I have frozen forum registration. If you are new to the site and want to register, e-mail me personally at vandolson@gmail.com. Thank you.

#1 01-27-09 9:00 am

don

James White, Life Incidents

<b><font color="ff0000">James White, Life Incidents &#40;Berrien Springs, Mich: Andrews University Press, 2003, Reprint Edition&#41;, &#40;1868, Original Edition&#41;.</font></b> <BR> <BR><a href="http://quod.lib.umich.edu/cgi/t/text/pageviewer-idx?c=moa;cc=moa;rgn=full%20text;idno=ajk1999.0001.001;didno=AJK1999.0001.001;view=image;seq=3;page=root;size=s;frm=frameset;" target="_blank">Online edition at the Making of America &#40;MOA&#41; site.</a> <BR> <BR>I recently pruchased this autobiography by James White. He gives a first hand account of his experience and thoughts, of meetings attended and the development of Adventism. Included in his book are extensive quotes from people of his day. This thread will examine his account and seek to discuss some applications for today. <BR> <BR>The Adventist movement progressed from an organization heavily influenced by its charter members to a world-wide movement. This world-wide movement has shifted away from the mind-set of those first believers. In some instances, the tendency of the human spirit to be strict and overbearing has created a tense, legalistic band of Adventists, a terror to themselves and others. In others, the movement has produced generous, liberal-minded souls who stand for the general principles of faith and avoid any sectarian interpretations or pressures. <BR> <BR>As I read James White&#39;s first hand account, my mind is drawn back and away from both the strict severity of some and the ultra liberalism of others within modern Adventism. <BR><font color="ffffff"><font size="-2">.</font></font>

#2 01-27-09 9:11 am

don

Re: James White, Life Incidents

<a href="http://www.atomorrow.net/cgi-bin/discus/show.cgi?tpc=10&post=729#POST729" target="_blank">The Stories of the Pioneers thread</a> began with quotes from James White&#39;s Life Incidents.  <BR> <BR>Note especially Tom&#39;s January 26, 2009 <a href="http://www.atomorrow.net/cgi-bin/discus/show.cgi?tpc=10&post=848#POST848" target="_blank">post</a>.  <BR><font color="ffffff"><font size="-2">.</font></font>

#3 01-27-09 9:17 am

don

Re: James White, Life Incidents

<b><font color="ff0000">A Formula for Success - Labor, Economy and Study</font></b><blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1><b>quote:</b></font><p><b><font color="0000ff">My thirst for education increased, and my plans were laid to take a college course and pay my way, if <font color="ff0000">labor</font>, <font color="ff0000">economy</font>, and <font color="ff0000">study</font> would accomplish it.</font></b> <b><font color="119911">I had but little else to thank but God and my own energies for what advancement I had made.</font></b> At Reedfield I wore old clothes, while my class-mates wore new, and lived three months on corn-meal pudding prepared by myself, and a few raw apples, while they enjoyed the conveniences and luxuries of the boarding house.  <BR> <BR>With the close of this term, also closed my school studies. I have attended high school, in all, twentynine weeks, and the entire cost of tuition, books, and board, has not exceeded fifty dollars. My apolpgy for being so definite in this part of my narrative, is <b><font color="0000ff">a desire to help those young men who wish to obtain an education while suffering under the unfriendly influences of poverty and pride. A poor boy may obtain an education by calling to his aid <font color="ff0000">industry</font>, <font color="ff0000">economy</font>, and <font color="ff0000">application to his books</font>. Such an one will prize his education, and be likely to make a good use of it.</font></b> While the young man who looks to his father&#39;s purse, puts on fine clothes, spends much of his time in fashionable calls, &#40;end of 14 on to 15&#41; and acts the part of the spendthrift, will not get a thorough education, and will probably make a poor use of what he does obtain.  <BR> <BR><a href="http://quod.lib.umich.edu/cgi/t/text/pageviewer-idx?c=moa&cc=moa&idno=ajk1999.0001.001&frm=frameset&view=image&seq=14" target="_blank">Life Incidents, pages 14 and 15.</a> <BR> <BR><!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote><b>Notes:</b> <BR> <BR>1&#41; <font color="0000ff">I had but little else to thank but God and my own energies for what advancement I had made.</font> <BR> <BR><blockquote>Contrast this, with the idea that God does it all. You have heard people say, &#34;I can take none of the credit, the Lord did it, I didn&#39;t.&#34; It is a pleasant sentiment to praise God but it denies the role of personal &#34;energies&#34; in the plan of God; in His devisings.</blockquote>2&#41; <font color="0000ff">Labor, Economy and Study.</font> <blockquote>This formula for success works throughout one&#39;s life.</blockquote> <BR><font color="ffffff"><font size="-2">.</font></font>

Board footer