Adventists for Tomorrow

Our mission is to provide a free and open medium that will assist individuals in forming accurate, balanced, and thoughtful opinions regarding issues within and without the church.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Due to a large increase in spam, I have frozen forum registration. If you are new to the site and want to register, e-mail me personally at vandolson@gmail.com. Thank you.

#1 01-30-09 8:10 am

heipauli

Reputation at stake

Quote: <BR> <BR>&#34;The European Court of Human Rights has passed several judgements demanding the payment of compensation in over ten Finnish cases that dragged on for years. In the worst incidents, court proceedings dragged on for 16 years through the appeals process.  <BR>It may take a decade for a case to move from initial police investigations through the courts.  <BR>Chancellor of Justice Jaakko Jonka says he is concerned about the current situation, and he adds that the Parliamentary Ombudsman is receiving an increasing number of complaints pertaining to case handling times.  <BR>“A few days ago I filed a complaint against a district court judge who had left several cases untouched over a number of years,” tells Jonka.  <BR>Parliament is currently considering legislation that would allow for the state to pay compensation to those involved in lengthy litigation processes. Such compensation would be capped at 10,000 euros.&#34; <BR> <BR>Source: <BR><a href="http://yle.fi/uutiset/news/2009/01/prolonged_legal_proceedings_blemish_finlands_reputation_514433.html" target=_top>http://yle.fi/uutiset/news/2009/01/prolonged_legal _proceedings_blemish_finlands_reputation_514433.ht ml</a> <BR> <BR>BTW, the name above is misspelled. Should be Jonkka, not Jonka. <BR>In case someone would like to use Google on that matter. <BR> <BR>The intent is to pay a compensation for every extra, unnecessary year of delay, but the sum, whatever it was, is peanut.

Board footer