Adventists for Tomorrow

Our mission is to provide a free and open medium that will assist individuals in forming accurate, balanced, and thoughtful opinions regarding issues within and without the church.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Due to a large increase in spam, I have frozen forum registration. If you are new to the site and want to register, e-mail me personally at vandolson@gmail.com. Thank you.

#1 01-05-10 2:16 pm

bob_2

C-SPAN Challenges Congress to Open Health Care Talks

C-SPAN Challenges Congress to Open Health Care Talks to TV Coverage

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/01 … v-coverage

This format would seem ideal for closed-door meetings, which congressional Democrats have used many times to figure out sensitive provisions in the health care bill -- though President Obama pledged during the campaign to open up health care talks to C-SPAN's cameras.

"That's what I will do in bringing all parties together, not negotiating behind closed doors, but bringing all parties together, and broadcasting those negotiations on C-SPAN so that the American people can see what the choices are," Obama said at a debate against Hillary Clinton in Los Angeles on Jan. 31, 2008.

Lamb urged Congress in his letter to fling open the doors in the final stretch of the negotiations.

The last health plan failed because of the secrecy factor. That's why Obama opportunistically threw that fact in Hillary's face. But rhetoric during a campaign certainly, apparently, can't be considered a promise???

#2 01-05-10 2:22 pm

bob_2

Re: C-SPAN Challenges Congress to Open Health Care Talks

By now it's almost trite to complain that President Obama repeatedly has broken his campaign pledge to "broadcast [health care] negotiations on C-SPAN so that the American people can see what the choices are." That doesn't make the complaint invalid. For legislation that could so profoundly and personally affect the daily lives of every American, Congress and the White House should be more transparent and more accessible than ever before. Instead, the process has been secretive and sordid throughout.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/201 … osed-doors

Board footer