Adventists for Tomorrow

Our mission is to provide a free and open medium that will assist individuals in forming accurate, balanced, and thoughtful opinions regarding issues within and without the church.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Due to a large increase in spam, I have frozen forum registration. If you are new to the site and want to register, e-mail me personally at vandolson@gmail.com. Thank you.

#1 05-07-12 5:24 pm

bob_2

Revised The Great Controversy - Now The Great Hope

Before Ted Wilson, the current president of the GC of Seventh day Adventists, became President, he had a great desire to circulate EGW's books. I have had a problem with EGW because of her statements about the Sabbath Commandment, and what she feels will be the final test of all humans on earth and others related issues.

This thread was started to discuss related issues. I am going to start the thread by describing what is going on with a distribution of one of EGW's books, modified as it is. However, I have to call it, "The Great Controversy - Lite" . The book is now published under "The Great Hope".

The Great Controversy has 42 Chapters

The Great Hope has 11 Chapters

Here is the Table of Contents of THE GREAT HOPE:

Chapter 1, “Why Is There Suffering?”
- - - from The Great Controversy, Chapter 29

Chapter 2, “Hope For Triumph Over Evil”
- - - from The Great Controversy, Chapters 30, 31

Chapter 3, “Dangerous Seductions”
- - - from The Great Controversy, Chapter 32

Chapter 4, “Everlasting Life”
- - - from The Great Controversy, Chapter 33

Chapter 5, “False Hope”
- - - from The Great Controversy, Chapter 34

Chapter 6, “True Peace”
- - - from The Great Controversy, Chapters 7, 27

Chapter 7, “Our Only Safeguard”
- - - from The Great Controversy, Chapter 37

Chapter 8, “In Defense Of The Truth”
- - - from The Great Controversy, Chapters 25, 26

Chapter 9, “Real Hope”
- - - From The Great Controversy, Chapters 1, 17, 36, 38, 39

Chapter 10, “The Great Rescue”
- - - from The Great Controversy, Chapter 40

Chapter 11, “Victory Of Love”
- - - from The Great Controversy, Chapter 42

Question, why the necessity to modify the original, "The Great Controversy" to "The Great Hope" , and who was in the group that modified it???

Last edited by bob_2 (05-10-12 1:24 am)

#2 05-07-12 5:28 pm

bob_2

Re: Revised The Great Controversy - Now The Great Hope

I'm not a big fan of EGW because every minute you are reading her, you aren't reading the Bible. I am seeking those that have noticed The Great Hope, that is being circulated around the world and if you know the reason for the "update" or tearing down of the original book, The Great Controversy . What is Ted Wilson up to?

#3 05-07-12 5:41 pm

bob_2

Here is a website about the circulation of this book by the SDA Church, with FAQ and other explanations about the project.

http://greatcontroversyproject.adventist.org/faq.html

Jump in and let us know what you think of this sort of endeavor.

#4 05-07-12 11:36 pm

bob_2

Why did you change the title from The Great Controversy to The Great Hope?
Our reason for the change is simple; we wish to make the book as appealing as possible to today’s audience and have found no evidence that such a change is contrary to the inspiration of the book.

The understanding of the Ellen G. White Estate is that while the content itself is understood to have been inspired, there is no indication that the title of the book is the product of any direct inspiration.  In fact, its title was changed with each of the four versions published in Ellen White’s lifetime.  In 1858 it was “Spiritual Gifts. The Great Controversy, Between Christ and His Angels, and Satan and His Angels.”  The 1884 edition was titled, “The Spirit of Prophecy. The Great Controversy Between Christ and Satan, From the Destruction of Jerusalem to the End of the Controversy.”  The 1888 edition was called, “The Great Controversy Between Christ and Satan During the Christian Dispensation.”  The 1911 edition reads, “The Great Controversy Between Christ and Satan.  The Conflict of the Ages in the Christian Dispensation.”

Given the variability which Ellen White accepted we do not believe that changing the title is contrary to her inspiration.  The title recommended by the General Conference is “The Great Hope.  A revealing look at the battle between good and evil—and who wins.”  We believe this title maintains the spirit of the various early titles while emphasizing the comfort to be found in knowing not only how the battle has waged but how it ends.

http://greatcontroversyproject.adventist.org/faq.html

#5 05-08-12 12:07 am

bob_2

The Plan

WHAT IS THE GREAT HOPE PROJECT?

An initiative led by the General Conference President, Ted N. C. Wilson. The challenge to the world field is to distribute massive quantities of The Great Controversy as part of the Church’s world-wide “Tell The World” emphasis, and a complement to the Revival and Reformation emphasis.

NORTH AMERICAN DIVISION THE GREAT HOPE PROJECT OBJECTIVE

Distribution of three million copies of The Great Hope, an 11-chapter abridged version of The Great Controversy by Ellen G. White(formatted by the E. G. White Estate). The Great Hope will be printed in English, Spanish, and French.

NORTH AMERICAN DIVISION METHOD AND TIMELINE

January through June 2012 – Our Division members and families prayerfully READ the full version of The Great Controversy, while asking for guidance regarding with whom, as the result of a friendly, personal, person-to-person relationship, The Great Hope should be shared. (Here are more reasons to read The Great Controversy)

July 2012 and Onward – Distribution of The Great Hope to family and friends throughout North America. Our emphasis is on distribution to those with whom we have developed a personal relationship! (Click here for more information about The Great Hope.)

http://www.sharethegreathope.com./the-plan.html

Last edited by bob_2 (05-08-12 12:24 am)

#6 05-08-12 12:22 am

bob_2

It is my understanding that the compilation of The Great Hope, was made by the White Estate from The Great Controversy.

#7 06-20-12 9:43 am

George Tichy

The manipulation of EGW's books became just outrageous.
The compilation of a "new" book utilizing old material, by people other than the author, is pure FRAUD!

EGW never wrote any book titled "The Great Hope." This is just an attempt to hide the real meat that she wrote in the GC. May be someone finally realized that what she wrote against the RCC is just insane, and tried to manipulate the issue by re-writing the book despite of committing a FRAUD.

Well, what's new? If for Adventists it's OK to keep plagiarism in the books, why not to just alter them at will?

#8 06-20-12 5:40 pm

bob_2

George, welcome to AT. Just a word, something that has come up that past generations have not had to deal with is HATE LITERATURE OR SPEECH.

Defined: Hate speech is, outside the law, any communication that vilifies a person or a group on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, gender, disability, sexual orientation, nationality, religion, or other characteristic.[1][2]

In law, hate speech is any speech, gesture or conduct, writing, or display which is forbidden because it may incite violence or prejudicial action against or by a protected individual or group, or because it disparages or intimidates a protected individual or group.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hate_speech

This is problematic with the Roman Catholic Church and the Inquisition or the Jews and the Crucifixion:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hate_speech

If you tell the truth, it can still be hate speech, as I understand it.

In Europe several countries are prosecuting their people for telling the truth about Islam: Austria, Denmark, Netherlands, the UK.

If you criticize the Religion of Peace, you are likely to be accused of ‘hate speech’ by people who go on to accuse and threaten you as graphically and disgustingly as their feeble imaginations will allow, yet you’ll be the one guilty of hate speech. And if you’re unlucky enough to live in certain parts of Europe, you’ll also be treated as a criminal.

Muslims regularly spew hatred against the people of those countries, and yet they are not prosecuted for hate-speech. But if a citizen speaks the truth about Islam,  they are arrested and tried for it.

For Pat Condell's video on this, go to:

http://barenakedislam.wordpress.com/201 … t-offense/

http://gratewire.com/topic/is-it-hate-s … -the-truth

#9 06-21-12 6:30 am

l_miller

George_tichy?...Now I do remember you. You comments on "American Association of Unversity Professors Issues Letter of Concern Regarding La Sierra" Here is my favorite comments I stored in my  files.

#10 06-21-12 6:35 am

l_miller

The problem in cases like this is not that someone will be teaching 2+2=5. Nobody would do that. The problem starts when a professor is not allowed to teach his/her students that 2+2=4. It's like saying, "We know that there is a math problem to be solved, i.e., 2+2=? - but you are not allowed to tell the students about it, much less suggest that there is a solution. Just pretend it does not exist" Well, this is a huge elephant in the classroom!
This is just hiding information. And this is where the main problem resides. The attempt by the Adventist school system to hide information from students is that causes problems of "Academic Freedom."
Did the Adventist system grow up too much that it became unstable and is collapsing?

#11 06-21-12 6:40 am

l_miller

George, your comment on 2+4=5 is the problem we are dealing with right now. What is your comment on "hate speech"? Is 2+2=4 is a hate speech?

#12 06-21-12 6:58 am

l_miller

Bob, "Hate Speech"? Who are they referring to? Is it Tom Norris of Adventist of Tomorrow or New Covenant Theology on this forum or both?  Sounds like we got a whining on our hands. I'm concern!

#13 06-21-12 9:24 am

George Tichy

I_miller,

Yeap,  you are right, that's me. I used to participate here long time ago. Now that Spectrum messed up with that new software it seems that only a few people are posting, the issues are kind of boring. So I was looking around...

You surprised me having one of my comments downloaded.

Regarding your question ("Is 2+2=4 is a hate speech?") I think that especially when there is religious intolerance it will be very difficult to avoid that almost any speech ends up being considered "hate speech."  The problem is not the speech, it's the fanaticism that leads to extremism and intolerance. Give any religion some political power over other religions and the tragedy will happen: religious intolerance and persecution of the "infidels."

This is why separation of State and Religion is a fundamental premise to assure that all people will have liberty to practice the religion of their choice.

Personally, I am very disturbed by what Islam is doing around the world, i.e., increasing political power, pursuing control of governments (Egypt now?), etc. This is big trouble ahead. Sometimes it's difficult to choose which power would one be more comfortable suffering persecution from.... Muslims? Catholics? Adventists? Lutherans? Etc. This is a tough choice...

#14 06-21-12 7:01 pm

bob_2

I. miller, hate speech from the accusers side is interesting. Take antisemitism. The Jews when reminded of their role in Jesus crucifixion can blame the Romans and thus call you an issuer of hate speech or an antisemite, even though you may just be a historian relaying what you have found out happened in history. Is telling history where someone is hurt, hate speech??? To the Jew that wants to be left with his version  of history, the other side will always be antisemitic or an issuer of hate speech. Your question about 2+2=4 is the wrong example because the answer is absolute. It is examples like I gave that pose the problems. Were the Jews killers of Christ or just in the vicinity when it happened.

As for teaching Evolution in our schools, there is a body of knowledge that the President of the Church said it was alright to introduce the SDA student to the body of knowledge that they very well may run into in their search for answers to man's origins, but as the former President said, every paid SDA Professor is expected by every SDA family paying for a student's education, to end up under the SDA umbrella or banner at the end of the day or class. Otherwise, let your tax dollars do the talking in a public school and get your creation version on Saturday and at Prayer Meeting Wednesday night, eh???

If the Pope apologizes for the Inquisition, does he have the right to be offended or scream "hate speech" when he has already recognized the truth with his apology. The question then becomes, do SDAs have the right to continue to tell the story as if the RCC never apologized????

Last edited by bob_2 (06-21-12 7:04 pm)

#15 06-21-12 7:11 pm

bob_2

George Tichy, are you sure your inability to get through to Spectrum isn't a case of being banned rather than new software? I am in the former camp and the words pop up on the screen telling me their spectrum does not spread to my opinion. Whenever I feel bad about that, I remember this golden oldie: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90ANZiOK0o0

Note the individuals flaunting their position title and the disclaimer you have to scroll down saying they shouldn't have been using their position in this manner, even though they did already.

Last edited by bob_2 (06-21-12 7:22 pm)

#16 06-22-12 2:24 am

George Tichy

bob_2,
I didn't say that I can't get through to Spectrum. I have not been banned. Why would I?
No, it's just the way the posts are arranged is not as likable as it was before - in my opinion. May be it will pick up again, and the site will be more exciting again. But I noticed that many people that were very active before are not posting that much lately.

#17 06-23-12 12:23 pm

l_miller

(May I call you) George_Tichy, Hate speech? I believe  the sda conference in my home state of Florida are fed up, and the solution they are looking for to control or persecute by seeking our criminal record, our identity, marriage, how many childred, medical record, or anything about this individual(s) that they can exercise their power. Well, I'll say, they're going to have do their best, becuse I am not going back. I got some information from Sabbath School lesson of what they're up to (former SDA) for them to come back to the church. They have failed miserable. So it's money, power, and control that I'm aware of.

#18 06-23-12 12:36 pm

l_miller

bob, I don't respond too well when you come to your conclusion that 2+2=5, but tom is an expert and he can really solve a math problem that 2+2=4. Adventist of Tomorrow is a good place to study and learn. Personally, I'm glad you're still here.

#19 06-24-12 3:45 am

bob_2

I.miller, were you talking to me or bshields. I didn't say 2+2=5, I said that 2+2=4 is an absolute. You say some crazy stuff, glad you are here learning also, at a very elemental level, but that's OK. Keep trying to absorb the Truth. You might try to ask questions when you aren't getting it, it makes it easier to diagnosis your needs. Thanks.  smile

Last edited by bob_2 (06-24-12 3:47 am)

#20 06-25-12 7:17 am

l_miller

Hate speech?...I found two rules I will remind myself. #8) Adventist for tomorrow. This discussion forum is NOT. repeat….”NOT” a hate forum toward the Seventh-day Adventist Denomination, nor is it a forum for the promotion of any other religious faith/philosophy/belief system. And 3) ATomorrow.net is not a hate forum towards the Seventh-day Adventist Church and Denomination.....l_miller: Thanks, JR and r.i.p, and thanks to you tom.

Last edited by l_miller (06-25-12 7:34 am)

#21 06-25-12 9:42 am

bob_2

l.miller, I am still an SDA, note your comment not too long ago:

Bshields, you have left the sda, so did I. I don't trust the tsda and neither do you. The white Estate is a  a propaganda factory. I believe we can do better not to fall in that ditch again.                                                    Tom can post the testimony of one former SDA after another; all saying that Ellen White is the main reason why they left......( Which is why the White Estate is so responsible for the modern meltdown of the SDA's). see Re: Adventist Reform- Tom Norris>  Ellen White> 04-07-12  10:50 am  # 16

What's your and Tom's objective. Tom's speech here as been to bring down the tSDA church. My objective has been to have the church adjust some of their positions, which I believe they can do without dissolving.

Last edited by bob_2 (06-25-12 9:45 am)

#22 06-25-12 9:50 am

bob_2

The point of this thread is that some feel that Great Controversy as written has hate speech toward the RCC in it. I do not know how much of the original comments The Great Hope has but  if it says the same about RCC is it hate speech or not?  Nothing in NCT do I consider hate speech because observing it or using it, one does not have to dissolve their church to accept it.

#23 06-25-12 1:51 pm

l_miller

bob_2, "Adventist for Tomorrow said: Our mission is to provide a free and open medium that will assist individuals in forming accurate, balanced, and thoughtful opinions regarding issues within and without the church"..... I'm not antagnonistic toward this site, but I have seen what the NCT do behind the scene and that is not nice. Like I said, I'm glad you're still here, because I don't believe any one can  handle  NCT like this one. I'm still learning how to behave toward sda and other denominaiton.

Last edited by l_miller (06-25-12 1:55 pm)

#24 06-25-12 4:20 pm

bob_2

Learn what NCT is before you criticize it. It is a way of studying the whole Bible. I'm still studying it, but it makes a lot more since than Calvinism, or other ways of seeing the Bible. Google New Covenant Theology, you will find a lot more than googling  Reformed Sabbath. The Reformed Churches think they are keeping Sabbath and the 10 Commandments , keeping Sunday. That is because they do not believe in fulfillment of the Old Covenant, Heb 8:13.

#25 06-25-12 10:05 pm

l_miller

Gary Anderson's New Covenant Theology Service. Biblical New Covenant Theology Examined        Enter the forum  as of  June 16, 2012  7:10pm...Gog and Magog Explained. http://newcovenanttheology.com/. ...bob_2, ever thought about having your own forum? Maby I can challenge you and bshields there. Warning, I don't behave to well with rules and regulation. So you and bshields may have to ban l_miller from your forum. Lol !! ( talk about who's the greatest!)

Board footer