Adventists for Tomorrow

Our mission is to provide a free and open medium that will assist individuals in forming accurate, balanced, and thoughtful opinions regarding issues within and without the church.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Due to a large increase in spam, I have frozen forum registration. If you are new to the site and want to register, e-mail me personally at vandolson@gmail.com. Thank you.

#1 07-23-11 8:40 pm

bob_2

Adventist Review : My Father Working Until Now John 5:1-20; 9:1-41

This article is in the last July 21 Adventist Review and they quote these verse, version not stated:John 5:1-20; 9:1-41:

John 5: 16 So, because Jesus was doing these things on the Sabbath, the Jewish leaders began to persecute him. 17 In his defense Jesus said to them, “My Father is always at his work to this very day, and I too am working.” 18 For this reason they tried all the more to kill him; not only was he breaking the Sabbath, but he was even calling God his own Father, making himself equal with God.

This is  what my NIV Bible says, and it is not what the headline for the Review says. Me thinks they hunted around for a version that suited them for the headline. Also, the page is a teaser to subscribe to read the rest of the article. The little bit of the article I see, the Review is trying to make Sabbath the center of this, but claiming to be God was really what the center was. The Gospel, under the New Covenant, has no commanded day of worship.

The Adventist have too much invested in the Sabbath, that they make it central to what they read, rather than Jesus is God. As the Gospel spreads after the New Covenant is ushered in at His death, and Col 2:16, 17 and 

Hebrews 10: 19 Therefore, brothers and sisters, since we have confidence to enter the Most Holy Place by the blood of Jesus, 20 by a new and living way opened for us through the curtain, that is, his body

I fear the tSDAs have made an idol out of Sabbathkeeping instead of preaching the Gospel clearly, that God's Son came die so we may all have eternal life that believe in him.

Elaine or anyone with the whole article, if you can post it here we can see what else is said.

Board footer